"Resurrect" the 108 Stars?!

Ask questions about the events and characters related to Suikoden Tierkreis here.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

"Resurrect" the 108 Stars?!

Post by KFCrispy »

www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169998&p=39 wrote:Unlike the other Suikoden games, though, you actually begin the game with the final four surviving members of the 108 (with the other 104 taken out during a key battle at the game's start) and must resurrect the rest of your compadres before going after the big bad.
first thing that i thought when i read this was: are you serious?! RESURRECT 104 people???
traditionally, the Suikoden series has been fairly realistic about death even in the fantasy world - there have been a few miracles that happened with the power of true runes in order to revive someone or save them from imminent death. the successful gathering of 108 Stars of Destiny also allowed the Tenkai's true rune not to kill the bearer once. so what's up with this plot? it seems death will be extremely trivial since these 4 main characters will somehow have the power to revive everybody they knew and their mothers.

secondly, i find it strange that you will have to explore different places to revive the SoD, because..... aren't there screenshots of the game showing like all of them dead in one place??

i don't know how they plan on developing the story to work out, but so far it sounds weird.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: "Resurrect" the 108 Stars?!

Post by patapi »

The defeat of the "opening" 108 Stars of Destiny could have been attributed to anything really, up to the possibility that the defeat itself was the miracle. It's worth noting that up to Tierkreis none of the games have explicitly make reference to the 108 Stars besides Leknaat and the Stone Tablet attendants.

I feel that the "resurrection" is more like gathering the stars again for another showdown. The individual members need not necessarily be exactly the same as those who were lost in the "opening" battle. There's probably a twist involving the Million Worlds as well, given the existence of a Marica from another world earlier on in the game.

Some articles are also implying the possibility of these stars reincarnated into beasts or weapons...?

Of course, this could always be a prequel to Suikoden 1 with Leknaat appearing to announce that she can resurrect exactly 105 times; just enough for the lost 104, leaving 1 for Gremio. Oh, my.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169978 wrote:Much of the game's plot premise revolves around the idea of the "Million Worlds" -- countless numbers of parallel worlds, each with its own environments and populations. The hero first becomes aware of this because these worlds are starting to interfere with each other; new forests and towns are suddenly popping up out of nowhere, and nobody seems to notice anything's amiss besides the player's character.
What if the "new" 108 stars are presented with these locations?
[evil laugh here]
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the 1up article specifically states that you resurrect your old buddies (the original 108 SoD) so i'm thinking we're not pulling them from alternate worlds.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

KFCrispy wrote:the 1up article specifically states that you resurrect your old buddies (the original 108 SoD) so i'm thinking we're not pulling them from alternate worlds.
don't write it off so quickly. this evil king or whatever he was called could have simply scattered the other 104 through out the million worlds and you're trying to bring them back.

i guess i want to believe this more because like you said, resurrecting 104 people makes death pretty trivial. :?
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

KFCrispy wrote:the 1up article specifically states that you resurrect your old buddies (the original 108 SoD) so i'm thinking we're not pulling them from alternate worlds.
What they saw was a preview, they could have spent five minutes or one hour playing the game, so any review might (and possibly will) be inaccurate. It can seem obvious that you have to do one thing at first, but turns out to be another deeper into the story. Think Sialeeds in SV.

We see another Marica in the screenshots anyways, so it's plausible. Hell, the 108 stars we're looking at can be those from dimension X!

So really I'm not believing any one source on its own until reviews are posted on other sites.
[evil laugh here]
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

the idea of resurrecting warriors to aid you, in this case, 'again' sounds faintly familiar

... mmm

is the protagonist by any chance named Lenneth Valkyrie??

<_< lol
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Well, still since the biginning all info has said the same "104 stars are defeated and we have to reunite them"(more or less), looking the last info, videos, etc, and how the game beggins, it looks more than we must reclute them for first time but in some way we must "rewright" the history/past to change that future, more than "resurrect" them.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

gathering them from different worlds =/= resurrect your dead friends. i seriously hope the articles are incorrect about bringing an army of dead people back to life. reminds me one of the many reasons of why "Heroes: Season 2" phails... now everybody in that show can share the immortal blood of several characters to revive, heal, and oh yeah.. live forever.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I don't know, I think it could be done well. As opposed to just walking up to people in the world and asking them to join you could maybe do tasks for ghosts or something to make them want to come back? Do something personal (teddy bear for a little girl, give message to relatives, that kind of stuff)?

I think it's nice that they're thinking outside the box.

But hey, they could do just about anything as long as they have a male narcissist or two I'm a happy camper.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm sure they have a narcissist... who starts out dead! and yeah, you're gonna buy a generic Rose Brooch from any local store to make him come back, and he'll think it's from a dear old friend from years ago. treachery!
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Oppenheimer wrote:I don't know, I think it could be done well. As opposed to just walking up to people in the world and asking them to join you could maybe do tasks for ghosts or something to make them want to come back? Do something personal (teddy bear for a little girl, give message to relatives, that kind of stuff)?

I think it's nice that they're thinking outside the box.

But hey, they could do just about anything as long as they have a male narcissist or two I'm a happy camper.
hmmm running errands and meeting requirements to enlist the aid of the deceased

STILL sounds very familiar...

Einherjars... Valkyries... Odin... Freya... Valhalla... Silmeria... Tri-Ace

a-HA !! exactly the same concept as Valkyrie Profile

at least the whole recruiting dead people idea

still think it's outside the little ol' box??
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It's resurrect the "stars", not necessarily the same characters that held it when the opening roster lost. I suppose some might involve bringing back the deceased, but others might be about finding a suitable replacement for the specific stars where straightforward character reviving isn't possible.

Anything is possible, really.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

so everything's still quite the same huh?

the walking up to the new living 'stars' and fulfilling certain requirements and stuff

the only thing that's new is that, there was a pre-existing set of 108 SoD

instead of starting with a clean slate, everything else is same ol' same ol'

not exactly my definition of "outside" the friggin box
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Considering that in previous games a gathering of the 108 Stars of Destiny in a war translate into a miracle more than just victory over your enemies, for the Stars to be completely obliterated in the middle of Tierkreis' war is in itself something drastic.

Remember, in a typical Suikoden, we don't even need the 108 Stars to win the war. Having them allow us to make the victory more "complete", so to speak. Like, revival of important allies that you'd have lost otherwise, etc.