[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden I

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden I

Post by KFCrispy »

well considering it's based on Shui Hu Zhuan, which was a story of 108 "Mountain Brothers" rebeling against the corrupt empire and establishing a new one, it's hard to stray too far. Suikoden III was very different from the rest of the stories, as it did "save the world" in a way and didn't cause any countries to unite or change.
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

I finally got the game. I can't believe it. It's just awesome. My first thought was: "My God, is this game slow, you can't even run." Because my first game was Suikoden II, I had a really hard time adjusting to the controls and thing. At least now I know how to equip someone (you must think I'm a dweeb). Anyways, graphic isn't so good, but when I realize that it's 1995 (or 1996 - or something like that, can't remember) I play satisfied.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

WoW, I finished it. It is so short.... I haven't got all the stars, cause I wanted to play without guides or walktroughs. I just love this game. By the way Kwanda is awesome....
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I LOVE it! I did hate that there were no comment boxes, bath scenes, and all that other stuff. . but that was only because i had played 4, 3 and 5 (in that order, mind you) before i played the first one. Buuut that isn't important. I loooooooooove this game. It has awesome music, awesome (hey look, I'm going for the genis book of world records on how many times a person can type awesome in one post! haha) dialogue, awesome characters, and it's also very sad :<

I seriously beat it and soon after that I replayed it again.

Now, all I need to is find Suikoden II

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:WoW, I finished it. It is so short.... I haven't got all the stars, cause I wanted to play without guides or walktroughs. I just love this game. By the way Kwanda is awesome....
it is short. :<

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Well, the first Suikoden I played was SII. It was enough to really make me enter on the whole story and want to buy the other games. When I finally played SI, I saw that the game wasn't in anyway better than SII, but the storyline and the gameplay were very good, and assuming that it's the origin of the franchise, I think he overwhelms any RPG I know (even Final Fantasy). Except the graphics (good at the time the game was released) and the short story, all the rest is very good, but as I said before, it's not better than SII. That's my opinion.
Last edited by Benthos on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaabbbcccddd

Post by aaabbbcccddd »

Suikoden II had more of an impact, but only because of you know who's death scene. Since she stuck with you almost the entire game, it gave you a lot of time to let her sink in, like she's always supposed to be there, and then she dies.

However, oddly enough, I think the saddest death scene in Suikoden I is Odessa's, even though you hardly spent any time with her at all. Probably because of the "throw me in the river" part...a great leader who died for her cause is ended up chucked in a river and doesn't even get a proper burial, and then is forgotten about by almost everyone later in the game. =\
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

aaabbbcccddd wrote:Suikoden II had more of an impact, but only because of you know who's death scene. Since she stuck with you almost the entire game, it gave you a lot of time to let her sink in, like she's always supposed to be there, and then she dies.

However, oddly enough, I think the saddest death scene in Suikoden I is Odessa's, even though you hardly spent any time with her at all. Probably because of the "throw me in the river" part...a great leader who died for her cause is ended up chucked in a river and doesn't even get a proper burial, and then is forgotten about by almost everyone later in the game. =\
I don't know. I don't think her death ever really impacted me much. When she "died" I breated a sigh of relief that she was finally taken out of my party.
:twisted:

For me, Gremio's death had far more impact due to the fact of being eaten my man-eating spoores.

But I loved Suiko 1 the best, partly because it was the first of the series I played, but also because of how revolutionary it was. Most RPGs hold the formula of battling back an evil empire. In Suiko I though, you play the rebels, the aggressors. Don't really see a lot of that in RPGs where you incite a revolution for an empire that only a few people seemed to have a problem with.

I mean come on, start a war because the emperor isn't the same as he was when he fought for the throne? Rather transparent excuse if you ask me.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Each death seen was sad to me. With Odessa, I really liked her so it crushed me, sort of. Gremio was the most upsetting becuaes he was such a nice person always being with me throughout the beginning of the game til his death =(. His dad, I felt proud of myself, but was sad that the hero killed his own dad =(. Ted was my best friend. On the beginning, I bank 99999999 gold with Ted. It was the way beginning when Ted and Tir was the only ones in the team. I left to the old lady and played her cup guessing game. So when TEd died, I felt like a very very close friend of mine died. The one that give me the Soul Eater and gambled with me til I was a millionaire. The worst scene of all was when I found Sheena flirting with that one girl and Lepant came and pull his ears.
Nick Bruiser
Angrylobster

Post by Angrylobster »

Wow, a lot of people started later in the series then the original. The first suikoden I played was this one, so nostalgia probably curves my opinion on the game a bit; but I think its one of the single greatest rpgs of all time. Pick it up if you enjoyed any other game in the series; you won't be dissapointed
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

For me I played 2 first, so I also thought it was slow, but that didn't change my thought about the game at all...I'm being 100% honest when I say I didn't cry in any death of all the Suikoden series but I don't portray myself as a monster...I was young....well never mind, I am young I guess (bout 17) and I was around 13-15 (kind of a big age difference but right now its hard to think of when I did) when I played Suikoden 1 (my order in the series is 2,3,4,1,tactics,5) but back to the game's effects on me, I was young and didn't take in all of it but Suikoden 2 I took in about everything the first time through (and I was only like 8-ish then) guess its because to me 2 played more smoothly. I never really cried about anything like that (I got pretty upset though, like in Suikoden 2 when Nanami died I almost cried but I just got really upset, I just don't cry that much, sad thing is I never cried for my dog's death....had him ever since I was 2 and he lived to be around 15, same age as me at the time) But seeing this thread has got me to the point where I will play 1 again. I really liked the war system in that (with the numbers), the storyline was great with alot of turns of events and all the deaths. Thing is I've only played Suikoden 1 once....I think Its because of me replaying Suikoden 2 over and over and over.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Jimba

Re:

Post by Jimba »

lucreborn wrote:Only thing i can say is dont judge a book by its cover, being one of the worst game covers ive seen, its definitly not the worst game ive ever played, in fact it ties with my #1 rpg. If you want a good game with good gameplay and a game you can play again and again down the road. This is it a great start of a great series.
HAAA I had to get out my original copy of S1 and look at the cover again what a riot lol. You are right though it is a great game. I think the gregminister theme song is probably the best and in a close second is the neclord castle music. Also who can forget Milich's music. The graphics aren't the greatist but I bought my copy when it first came out so.... back then they (the graphics) really weren't that bad. Its in the context of time. Anyways I loved the first game and have to replay it at least once a year. Luc looks sooo funny in the original. I really enjoyed suikoden more than any other RPG at the time. I liked the option of choosing your characters. Although, some characters had little impact on the story it was altogether fresh you could choose who you wanted to take to combat

D*** you all its time for the burning mirror - Kwanda
"Old heroes should die eventually to wish to have an eternal life....is unnatural after all." Jimba-- "Father" Chris -- "I was not a good father to you Chris goodbye." Jimba
danberado

Post by danberado »

Just beat it for the first time since middle school (around 1998). It was my first Suikoden game, though I hold 2 in higher esteem.

Quick review:

Totally classic game.

The story is absorbing. The characters are memorable. Even the ones that only have a few lines of dialogue. After playing Suikoden 2, my only complaint here, is that the characters in the castle never update their comments after you recruit them. Suikoden 1, you talk to everyone in the castle once, in Suikoden 2 you make rounds catching up on what everyone has to say after major events (At least I did). One thing I didn't care for was how anti-climatic Gremio's return was. Maybe four lines of dialogue, and then it's as if it never happened.

Gameplay:

Easy, but not in a bad way. You recruit characters, watch your castle grow and your destiny unfold. The bosses should have been harder, but regular battles were fine. I can't imagine why someone would want to be bogged down by lengthy battles every few steps. It's a huge merit to Suikoden how quickly battles progress despite being six on six. The experience system could use some tuning. And holy rune was a huge hassle. Also, sometimes managing items was clunky. It can also be bothersome to have members of your team booted for story characters so frequently, though ultimately it helped mix things up. Despite these complaints, overall the game is brisk and refreshing (perhaps because of the too-short dungeons). I personally liked the rock/paper/scissor battles a lot more than the half-baked grid battles in suikoden 2.

Audio/Visual:

Great music. Graphics get the job done.

Overall:

A real gem. Some flaws, but it really tapped into something special (which continued in Suiky 2, I haven't gotten to the rest yet). The score: a trail-blazier A-.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there didn't you Danberado? But nice first post, good thorough review.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Author

Post by Author »

Augh, I need to play this again. I was like 11 and I didn't even recruit all the SoD's.

Anyway, Tir is the Tenkai I like the most because he made the decision himself to lead the rebellion. For me, he shone as a real hero. And you get to decide to cut down so many heads.

Not a lot of comments since S1 was an old game so there really are flaws like bad art, bad graphics and...bad drawing. The story was very good of course. There's a big overview there...but I forgot it by now.