Now playing: Final Fantasy IX

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Now playing: Final Fantasy IX

Post by KFCrispy »

i got my hands on FF9 a while ago and started playing it recently. so far it's pretty fun.

this game has true class distinction, while Suikoden and FF7 were kind of "you can do whatever". i never really thought about RPGs having class distinction since my background was Chrono Trigger (everybody has their own unique set of tech/magic, so no actual classes), Suikoden, and Wild Arms (which is actually like Chrono Trigger - everyone has their own abilities and some can share equipment).

while it kinda sucks when i don't have a healer in my party (ie need a lot of potions!!), i really like how you get to run around as the different main characters to cover their part of the story. it's weird that they share money and items (Zidane picks up a moogle mail in one town, and the POV switches to Dagger who delivers that same mail to another moogle! WHAT?) but it's not too much of a problem.

grr.. Tents
i also found out last night while i was playing that using Tents at a save point don't recover all HP/MP like in most Square games. what gives? i noticed a little too late that my characters' HP was only in the 200s (max HP for some was already over 1000) after using a tent and running through a couple battles. well guess what? a character died. and guess what, Tents don't revive characters so i have to keep using Phoenix Downs without my White Mage around. quite annoying. Tents are very poor in this game. after i use one i have to check everyone's HP/MP to make sure it's at an acceptable level and continue to use items to heal up if the tent proved inadequate.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Now playing: Final Fantasy IX

Post by Pyriel »

In the older games, the tents were a half measure that worked well for the first part of the game. Later on, you started getting cottages, which completely restored everybody. I've not played IX, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar in that game. They might call it something different, though.

I always thought the notion of carting about a portable cottage was a bit ridiculous, and I assumed they so named it either as a joke, or because the character limitations they set didn't allow them to have, "pup tents", and "luxury tents", or some such. Or maybe it was a localization thing.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't think there are superior tents in this game. i've seen the item list on cmgsccc.com
i'm having trouble giving myself an item i missed though.. i tried to modify the 255th item slot and got a key item instead (oddly enough i'm not even sure it's a key item you can receive in the game but i'll have to keep playing to find out)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

another thing about this game is that they really liked making elaborate animations and whatnot. the savepoints are Moogles who will whip out a book and do some flips in the air before accessing the memory card. that's not too bad, but what i don't like is how elaborate the camera has to get at the beginning of ANY battle. it would have been fine just for bosses, but Square insisted on having even random battles zoom around the background for a bit, then showcase the enemy from various angles, then do another zoom out from the enemy before the battle begins.

elaborate camera plus in some places the encounter rate is ridiculous as if you have a Great Firefly Rune attached makes me irritated when trying to explore.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

Just use 2 tents, problem solved. You can also use a tent on bosses from the start of a fight to cause a lot of bad status changes. Buying 99 potions is common sense, that's something I do ASAP in any FF.

If you really have trouble, I'll have an entire video walkthrough for you:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 0F390195AD

But I will not get every item in dungeons, but I have included all locations of the Chocobo Treasure Hunt, which should help a lot. Just type the name of the chocograph in the search bar and 99% you get the video on the first place. :)

The only gripe I have about Final Fantasy games is that you don't have special looking attacks, besides limit breaks. All characters except Freya, have the same attack animation. The special skills are just a normal attack with some flashing effects and deals more damage.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm definitely not having trouble with the game, i was just talking about the negative points i've encountered.

the card game is also not very interesting once you get the hang of it, but i'm fighting everyone i meet at least once for completion's sake.

other things are fun though. like i said, i love having the multiple POVs. definitely a fun game and a lot of large side-quests which i like.

the skills are somewhat interesting so far (some sound really broken though, like Auto-Life and Auto-Float). it's just too bad the characters' magic/tech skills are completely fixed and that you can start doing 9999 damage really early in the game...
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Good game. It's easily my favorite FF game.
PSN: FreshMetal80
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the random money and items you can find all over the ground in this game are lmao. it's funny enough in every RPG that you're raiding people's valuables (and they don't care if they do see you take them), but in this game there are a ridiculous amount of valuables that are scattered on the sidewalks and stairs of cities.

*look, someone left a pair of Thunder Gloves here*
*ooh, 3,000 Gil, score!*
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there are also huge plotholes in the game, like those bells in Gizamaluke's Grotto you have to ring/break to get a door open..... the doors literally disappear - how do they get restored? did they mass-produce these bells? how did the enemies get through the doors without having to open them??
Gargants - who maintains this transportation system? why are they so tame and stay on the "tracks"? how does food re-appear once you've used it? what if they don't smell the food? what if they're all killed off by the monsters? what if nobody uses the system for a long time, will they starve to death?!?

hehehe
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

!!!

I just got this game as well. I had it a long time ago -- or should I say my brother had it, but he sold it before I could even reach the second disk.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

That ain't huge plotholes, just minor stuff that most people don't care about.
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

FF IX is a great game. Like the characters alot and the story builds up very nice. Steiner always make me laugh and Vivis pov:s is so sad. The poor boy doesn´t fit in anywhere. The villain Kuja just reeks of pure evil and reminds you of sephiroth a little. It also has a nearly flawless soundtrack which suits the game perfectly.

BTW KFC you seem to know this forum pretty well. Do you know if there is a topic about the OST:s of the Suikoden games?
That ain't huge plotholes, just minor stuff that most people don't care about.
Actually, i think most people care about things like that and it is called a sense for details which should be a constant factor when making a good videogame. Surely Squaresoft must have been awared of the plotholes but choose not to explain it further which makes the game feel a little less genuine. Paying attention too little things like that makes you see the game more like a story and not so much like a game which contributes too a more memorable experience.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

I beat that a while ago, when I was like 9 or 10....

.....Suikoden FTW!
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Ok so. . I don't know where I'm going. .

I've been lost for a while. . so I just wonder the world map for an hour, fight here and there . . then turn it off.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

geez i remember when that happend to me...did it for like 10 hours in game...
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg