[Guide] Skills

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

Just ot make sure we're talking about the same thing, "signature skills" are just the not-unequippable skills some characters have in their second skill slot. They get trained just like any other skill; they'll show up at the end of the trainable skill list for that character. Most of them are combat (like the row and column attacks), though a few are magic (like Treasure Hunt, I think).
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

What in the heck is Magic Sword Effect? I've been trying to figure that out for awhile...

Is that like Venom, Silence, etc. Does it just mean it procs more? Or is it for orbs like 'Water Sword' etc.

Which I guess leads me to the question... is that Suikoden V's version of elemental pieces on weapons, is an actual Rune that does it?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

posted skill upgrade table in the first post
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re:

Post by KFCrispy »

highwind44029 wrote:How come Sagiri doesn't get Untold Clarity? She can get all battle skills (except Stamina) at A, yet she doesn't get it. Strange...
the Epic simply isn't available for Sagiri. it's the same reason Jeane doesn't have ANY epic skills whatsoever even though all her magic-related skills max at A or greater.
promethez

Re: Skills

Post by promethez »

Strangely, the defence increases from skills is higher from an epic skill than a single skill! it evens out at higher levels though
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Does it seem strange that Jeane and Bergan both qualify for epic skills but neither of them have any?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

*points to my msg above*
Jack of All Trades

I don't know if anybody cares but here is a list of characters and the epic skills they qualify for but don't have.

Belcoot
swift foot: a, a

Bergen
fate control: a, a
karmic effect: a, a

Cius

Dinn

Ernst
sacred oath: a, a, a

Faylon
swift foot: a, s
divine right: a, a
zen sword: a, a
armor of gods: a, a
sacred oath: a, a, a

Galleon

Gavaya
armor of gods: a, a

Isabel
untold clarity: a, a, a, a, a

Jeane
divine right: ss, s
sacred oath: ss, s, s

Leilei

Moroon

Nick
swift foot: a, s

Nifsara
Last edited by Jack of All Trades on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of All Trades

Nikea
untold clarity: a, a, a, s, a

Raven
fate control: a, s
swift foot: s, ss
untold clarity: a, a, s, a, ss
karmic effect: a, s

Richard
swift foot: ss, s

Roog

Sagiri

Shigure

Shoon

Sorensen

Zegai
Last edited by Jack of All Trades on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

one requirement for Zen Sword skill is that you can use sword of magic. L-range characters cannot use sword of magic and thus they do not have the regular Magic Sword or Zen Sword skills. There is 1 exception, Killey, who was likely modified from M (or S) to L-range. Killey has these magic sword skills but can't use the rune.
Jack of All Trades

I wonder if the sword of magic rune would function properly for killey if hacked onto him. I'm still waiting for my code breaker but I'll post the results when I do.

One of the reasons for posting the above list is because I've been considering using the codebreaker to give these characters back their missing skills. If I can, I'll give them their skills back at D level but I'm not sure if they'll be able to level them up. If not, I'll set the rank of the skills to the highest rank of it's lowest prerequisite skills. Either way I'll post the codes here at Suikosource for easy reference for die hard Suikoden Fans who are used to fixing the mistakes the programmers tend to leave behind. *Cough* McDohl Name Bug *Cough*

Some of the missing skills are no big deal because they are missing a skill they'll probably never use. However some characters are missing a few good ones like Ernst, Faylon(who for some reason qualifies for almost every skill), Galleon, Isabel, Leilei, Nifsara, Nikea, Raven Sagiri, and Shoon. Especially for Bergan and Jeane who qualify for epics who don't actually have any. On a side note poor Gunde is so pathetic he is the only combat character who doesn't qualify for a single epic skill.

The only thing I'm torn about is whether or not the programmers' intended to leave off some of these epic skills. Jeane, Faylon, and Bergen look like an oversight to me but there are more characters who qualify for untold clarity that don't have it that actually do. In fact most of the characters who do qualify for Untold Clarity have a Unique skill too. So it suggests that they may have kept Untold Clarity locked up intentionally. Also, some characters actually have epic skills they don't qualify for. Finally there seems to be no set leveling system for epic skills based on prerequisites. Some characters have an A in one of their prerequisites and can level their epic skills all the way to SS.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

some basic skills at level A will have a higher bonus than the epic bonus for that stat at SS, there's no real rhyme or reason characters didn't get epics (other than Untold Clarity and the Zen Sword for L-range).
Jack of All Trades

So I finally got my codebreaker today. I tested the codes on codetwink and I modified them to give Jeane Divine Right and Sacred Oath at rank D. They were absolutely upgradeable. However, it is more of a cheat than anything else.

Here is why:
It costs 300 to upgrade from E to D, D to C, and C to B, then it costs 400 from B to A and A to S. From S to SS is free. Unfortunately unlocking skills in this way allows anybody to upgrade said skills to SS.
KFCrispy wrote:one requirement for Zen Sword skill is that you can use sword of magic. L-range characters cannot use sword of magic and thus they do not have the regular Magic Sword or Zen Sword skills. There is 1 exception, Killey, who was likely modified from M (or S) to L-range. Killey has these magic sword skills but can't use the rune.
You are definitely correct about Killey having Zen Sword without Sword of Magic. I used a code to give him a rage sword orb and it worked perfectly, although I don't think it's the best use of a rune slot for him...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Skills

Post by KFCrispy »

RPG Dueling League (http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,27.0.html, look for "Skill Data from Niu") has a lot more information on the skills. I don't know if I can rely on some info, such as individual Vitality skill and epic skills that include Vitality boosting critical hit rate exactly the same, but it is definitely hard to test so I'll quote all of their info soon.
Some interesting things are that there is a significant boost to increase multi-hit/continuous attacks by the agility skill, and Incantation skill actually gives a single-target spell a chance to become an area spell. I never bothered to use magic much after the beginning of the game, so I have to admit I've never seen this happen.. but I'll try it out if I play again.
Rooks

Re: [Guide] Skills

Post by Rooks »

KFCrispy wrote:Some interesting things are that there is a significant boost to increase multi-hit/continuous attacks by the agility skill, and Incanctation skill actually gives a single-target spell a chance to become an area spell. I never bothered to use magic much after the beginning of the game, so I have to admit I've never seen this happen.. but I'll try it out if I play again.
I can say that I've never seen a single target spell change to cluster/row/column spell. I don't know whether that is possible, but, I can at least say that the % chance should be much lower than what is reported --if it is possible. Note that the only single-target spell I use with any regularity in the second half of the game is Resurrection's Charm Arrow. There is a possibility that this effect can only occur with specific Runes or Characters. My guess is that only the Power Mages can perform this, like Zerase, Eresh, Jeane, Viki, and Levi. Other characters who can rank high in incantation but have less raw power are like Kisara, Bernadette, and Alhazred, who are better used for Water / Shield magic.

I have played extensively with high-incantation skills and healing magic, and it is likely that Kindness Drops can never become multi-target no matter the character's incantation. I suspect the same with all single-target healing spells -including Light of Day- so it probably only applies to attack and damage spells.