Final Battle Strategies

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Tai Ho

Final Battle Strategies

Post by Tai Ho »

Im playing through suikoden 2 for my first time and im fighting the beast rune...but every time i try i lose.All of my characters are level 60 and i think i may need to find a place to level up where the monsters aren't so weak...
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

60 is the level where you hit the brick wall really.
It's hard to level up past it, and when you do you gain very little off that level up.
At ~60 your team is very solid so you should be OK.

I've beaten the Beast Rune without taking a sinlge point of damage at ~60 so here's my very simple startegy:

Go to Tinto and talk to the mayor whos daughter (Lilly) you saved from Neclord (forgot his name). He'll give you Mother Earth rune. Equipt it on a good mage like Rina.
Get couple other good magis users -- I used Sierra (she has permanent Thunder rune in her weapon so she's ok attacker for random battles) with Darkness rune + Wizard rune, and Luc with Cyclone (you get it from Sarah in Toran republic) rune + Wizard rune + Blue Gate rune (Wizard runes are optional byt they help a bit)
Get couple tanks to plow thru random battles.

When you fight the Beast Rune first thing you do is cast Canopy Defence with you Mother Earth user, as it will negate Bast Runes magic attack. After that make tanks attack the rune itself, while mages cast powerful spells (Final Bell, Black Shadow, The Shredding, Shining Wind, etc). Each time boss does hsi magci attack re-cast Canopy Defence.

You should be done with the Beast Rune in 4-5 turns.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

i cant belive you cant beat it,my party was riou,humphrey,sheena
luc,mcdohl,mazus

riou had his rune plus fury/double-beat,humphrey had windspun armor(S1)fury/double-beat/sumthin i cant remember/and double strike,sheena had mother earth/fury/double beat,luc had blue gate and cyclone and flowing,mcdohl had his rune alert and fury,mazus had rage thunder and blue gate
Eagles May Soar But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Lechium wrote:After that make tanks attack the rune itself, while mages cast powerful spells (Final Bell, Black Shadow, The Shredding, Shining Wind, etc). Each time boss does hsi magci attack re-cast Canopy Defence.

You should be done with the Beast Rune in 4-5 turns.
spells like final bell and the shredding aren't strong enough to kill the beast rune in 4-5 turns. the best thing to do is have someone who can casts canopy defense almost every turn. maybe have 2 or 3 main attackers who go for the same limb or rune. then just have mazus or luc use rune combos to blast the beast rune with powerful spells like thor or blazing camp. probably 5 at least turns it will take to kill beast rune. ( ive never used mcdohl so maybe it is easier with him )
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

I did kill Beast Rune in 4 or maybe 5 turns.
Sierra's Final Bell (with Wizard equipted) does well over 500 damage to front row, and Blask Shadow is even scarier.
Luc's The Shredding (also with Wizard eqipted) does around 800 damage to all parts (his MAG was ~240 i think)
3 melee charcaters (hero, wakba and vicotr in my case) do some OK damage if they concentrae on the rune itself. I killed teh rune segment in 2-3 turns and than the rest of boss just sat there for 2 more turns doing absolutley nothing.

P.S. if you want to push some damage thru to all limbs just have 1 person cast Canopy Defence while other 5 throw BBQ Bombs at the boss. They would do ~300 damage at him i think, so that's 1500+ damage to all limbs per turn. (that's a most sumiliatign way to kill Beast Rune -- throw food at him)
Man I went thru several hundred BBQ bombs throught thta game!
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

4 or 5 turns is very possible with that setup. Mostly because of the wizard Runes. Let's also not forget that if you take out the heads, you win automatically.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Pyro wrote:humphrey had windspun armor(S1)fury/double-beat/sumthin i cant remember/and double strike,
Can't be done. Humphrey only has 1 rune slot, definitely can't equip 4.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the starting stage (mountain place) north of Kyaro may help you level up a bit further, but i'm not sure at all if they are higher level.

you need to worry about strategy over levels in this situation
magic and fighters with Double-Beat and Fury/Killer runes can do serious damage to the parts.
you should probably focus on the floating Rune thing in the center first, because it protects the Heads from being attacked. the legs cast annoying things such as giving random-status effects, so you may want to take them out as well. usually i don't have to worry about it, but during my first playthroughs i would have most people silenced, confused or KOed, and that wasn't pretty.

while the fighters don't need much to worry about in terms of strategy, the Bright Shield's heal spells (or maybe just the level 3?) have a good chance of causing berserk. you may want to capitalize on this when you need to heal the party.

let's go over some magic. the offensive ones should be pretty obvious. i highly recommend Mother Earth for Luc instead of Cyclone, because it has a stronger attack spell, Earthquake, which does 1200 to all due to his elemental affinity - see http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs2/gu ... nities.php
Canopy Defense and Guardian Earth, as well as the Water/Flowing's Protect Mist improve overall defense.

there are rune combination spells if you didn't know about them.. using the level 4 spells of the normal or upgraded (any combination) runes: lightning/fire, fire/earth, earth/wind, wind/water, water/lightning.
i find the most useful rune combination is water/lightning aka "Thor", the combinations involving water revives/heals the entire groups.. the lightning part deals 2000 dmg to a target.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

Does Earthquake atually hit that floating rune?
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Tai Ho

Post by Tai Ho »

ok i finally beat it.....i use flik and viktors unite attack while they were berserked and then just used killey's fire rune and my hero's blue gate rune a few times....one i got rid of the right leg it was pretty easy...probably becase i had each character equipped with a sacraficial jizo...thanks for the help though. oh, and i equipped a fury rune to humphrey
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Ced The Lad wrote:Does Earthquake atually hit that floating rune?
it has for me before.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."