[Glitch] Characters joining at lvl 99

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [Glitch] Characters joining at lvl 99

Post by KFCrispy »

it's not related to what emulator you are using because it happens in real systems as well.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, but using a different PSX or a different emulator may change your chances of triggering the bug. There are so many variables involved, that performing Pagan rituals may appear to fix it as well.
LetsRock

Post by LetsRock »

I didnt say its related to what emulator someone is using, i just wanted people know that they can MAYBE fix this bug. At least it worked for me. I know its not a game breaking bug, but for me its annoying when they join at level 99 and they are so weak.
the tall guy

Post by the tall guy »

I really don't know what to say, I've played through this game at least 50 times, my most recent being my first time on PC. I ripped the ISO from my own copy of Suikoden II. I had NEVER encountered this glitch until playing it on espxe. I know full well it has happened to plenty of people on console as well. I wonder why I never got it before now, as I'm using the same disc I always have, the only difference being playing it via emulator.
Head for the hills, the kitchen's on fire.
lordyuanshu

Post by lordyuanshu »

Same for me with those glitches. LC Chan, Hoi and Georg always level 99 when I play on epsxe. Never seen it before on console despite playing through like 50 times. Maybe it happens on console, I've never seen it, but it happens 100% of the time to me on Emulator. Does it happen to Pesmerga too? Want to say it does but I'm not sure.

But to be honest I don't really care. Hoi and Chan I never use. Georg I used to use but I can live without having him.
the tall guy

Post by the tall guy »

It happened to Pesmerga for me, also Anita (and Jowy for the fight with Gorudo).
Head for the hills, the kitchen's on fire.
lordyuanshu

Post by lordyuanshu »

Yep, Pesmerga, knew it.

I always get Anita in Muse...maybe recruiting her later in Banner Village makes her more likely to trigger the level 99 bug. Who knows.
Tonel

Post by Tonel »

I never encountered this glitch maybe I am lucky/unlucky?
We have an embarrassment of riches. Is there any way to make sense of it all?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Anita did not join me at level 99 when I recruited her in Muse. Maybe I can try recruiting her at Banner.

Playing this game on an emulator, these characters joined me at level 99: Hoi, LC Chan, Pesmerga, Georg, Mazus
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

ninjaluc79 wrote:Anita did not join me at level 99 when I recruited her in Muse. Maybe I can try recruiting her at Banner.

Playing this game on an emulator, these characters joined me at level 99: Hoi, LC Chan, Pesmerga, Georg, Mazus
Same here, Ive played S2 5 times on emulator and always recruit Hoi, LC Chan, Pesmerga, Georg, Mazus at lv99 but no matter where i get anita, she'd never be at lv99.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

that's likely because most people recruit Anita early in the game, before this glitch starts kicking in. try recruiting her after your first 99'er next time...
True Griever

Post by True Griever »

Is it possible to lets say save at the beginning of the game, lvl everyone up to 99, then die and recruit everyone again at 99.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

By the time you could grind just the hero up to level 99, it wouldn't really be worth it. Beyond that, most characters join at a fixed level.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think True Griever is asking if a recruited character joins at a fixed level and you save before recruit, recruit that fixed level character and level him/her up, die and recruit the character again, is the level going to be reset to the fixed level or match the higher level you had obtained...... i think the recruitment script for the character will set the level of the character during the process so it will always force the character to the fixed level. MAYBE True Griever is curious if the STATS are preserved and numerical level is reset so that you can theoretically pump stats by leveling and reseting the level but not stats?
many games actually have this feature (Growlanser, for example, has a rare item that will drop the character's numerical level by like 10 levels but keep the stats).

i believe the recruitment script is going to lose all gained stats (even stat stones) because it probably has to "initialize" the stats from a level 1 character who randomly leveled to the fixed level.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Oh, yeah it would. That's actually a good question, though. I'm not sure if it uses whatever their current stats are, and attempts to add levels or what. If the programmers had a better track record, I'd say it starts from essentially zero when it sets levels during recruitment, but who knows, it might let you keep whatever you gain.

I don't really see the benefit to doing that, though. I mean, unless you save at the beginning of the game, play all the way through to almost the end, grinding everybody up to 99, then croak and start from the Mercenary Fortress at level 99. Even if you just grind somebody up ten levels right after recruitment, croak and get them back level 39 instead of 29, what have you gained?