[Glitch] Characters joining at lvl 99

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
kte03

Re: [Glitch] Characters joining at lvl 99

Post by kte03 »

lmao, I got this with Hoi, then Georg :] I don't know why people want this glitch tho... kinda takes away the challenge in the game :(
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Aldo wrote:
Runemaster wrote:
Disgruntldgoat wrote:Same thing happened for I loved lvl 99 Georg having just finished Suikoden 5 recently weird thing I was gonna add was I had lvl 99 Jowy when you fight together at Matilda
Oh yeah! Jowy, I remember. Lvl.99 Jowy will only spoil the difficulty of Gorudo, though he really isn't. lol. But I don't know what Suikoden V has to do here..?
Having just played Suikoden V, the poster likes Georg Prime, and thus they were happy when the glitch occurred (level 99 Georg) when they played through suikoden 2.
Ah, thanks. That post confused me like hell, spent a minute understanding it. lol! :lol:
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Fishface

Post by Fishface »

I've played through this game several times and never had this glitch happen to me before until my most recent play through.

It happened first with Hoi and then LC Chan and I suspect Persmaga and Georg will join at 99 as well.

The only things I can recall doing any differently is:

1. I got all 5 squirrels before the Luca Blight battle

2. I got Bob before the Luca Blight battle

3. I used the money glitch with Hans

Other than that I don't have any other ideas to offer for what causes this glitch.
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

Fishface wrote:I've played through this game several times and never had this glitch happen to me before until my most recent play through.

It happened first with Hoi and then LC Chan and I suspect Persmaga and Georg will join at 99 as well.

The only things I can recall doing any differently is:

1. I got all 5 squirrels before the Luca Blight battle

2. I got Bob before the Luca Blight battle

3. I used the money glitch with Hans

Other than that I don't have any other ideas to offer for what causes this glitch.

Nope, doesn't change a thing, since I did those things, too, and Hoi just joined at lvl 35 even though I tried 3 or 4 times now :mrgreen:
But all I did so far was just exit and re-enter the town and save and load savestates on the emulator.
I was about to try it again just now, but then I accidentally saved after I recruited Hoi and now it's too late, lol.
Check out my blog for random fun stuff and reviews!
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

While I've never encountered this glitch personally, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Riou's lv by the time of recruitment. It would help to determine it when people start to write down Riou's lv (or perhaps the partys average lv as well).
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

CelesDestiny wrote:While I've never encountered this glitch personally, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Riou's lv by the time of recruitment. It would help to determine it when people start to write down Riou's lv (or perhaps the partys average lv as well).
Okay, I tried, it does not depend on Riou's level (I tried Georg with 49 and somebody else recruited him with lvl 50, he was 59 for me, but 99 for the other guy). I leveled him up and went alone, he was level 60, I tried with a party including my highest level characters, and it didn't work.. Next, I tried adding up the levels of all party members:
My party: 297
The other guys party: 292
I went to my castle, added 5 other members and had a total level of 292, too, still Georg was level 60. So the theory with the average party level is wrong, too..

I also tried choosing different answers for him, accepting him into my party, or sending him to the castle, but it didn't change a thing.

I even tried creating the same party like the other guy did (same persons, but not the same levels).. guess what? Still level 60.. I gave up and just continued the game normally afterwards, so yeah.. I ran out of ideas now, maybe somebody else will have more luck :mrgreen:
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

I wasn't saying they join on lv99 when Riou has a certain lv, or the party has a certain average lv. Neither that you could simply reproduce the process.

Yet it has to do something with the "starting lv calculation". The bug only occurs for chars, which do not join at a fixed lv. There are few of them, for which the game calculates their starting lv in some way. And somehow this calculation went wrong, why they end up beeing 99.

In S1 there is a similar glitch. Whenever the game calculates a starting lv <1, it interprets it as 99.

Yeah, it is not that easy when it comes to this game. Still I'm pretty sure certain variables causes the miscalculation here as well.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

but the calculation is supposedly based only on Riou's level, so i doubt any other party member matters...

Post by 727 »

When I played the real game, I never had this glitch. However, when I played the iso I encountered this glitch frequently. Maybe I had a lucky copy?
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

CelesDestiny wrote:I wasn't saying they join on lv99 when Riou has a certain lv, or the party has a certain average lv. Neither that you could simply reproduce the process.
And I didn't say that you said that, I just tried a few things out and posted the results :mrgreen:
CelesDestiny wrote: Yet it has to do something with the "starting lv calculation". The bug only occurs for chars, which do not join at a fixed lv. There are few of them, for which the game calculates their starting lv in some way. And somehow this calculation went wrong, why they end up beeing 99.
I know, there are 5 or 6 of those characters, and I wanted to try a few things to see if they work
CelesDestiny wrote: In S1 there is a similar glitch. Whenever the game calculates a starting lv <1, it interprets it as 99.
Really? Can you give an example for me? This is the first time I read about this, I thought this only happened in S2 :D
KFCrispy wrote:but the calculation is supposedly based only on Riou's level, so i doubt any other party member matters...
Hmm.. maybe it's based on Riou's current exp, too..
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

You'll find all possible characters for this glitch in S1 here:
http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/guides/initial.php
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

Okay, just now I recruited Mazus and Pesmerga, who both joined at 57. Now I have all the characters that CAN join at level 99, and for me none of them joined at 99, even though I tried quite a few things as I already posted here earlier.
I have a question for you guys: Once the first one of those guys joins at 99, do all the others join at 99, too?

If yes, I think that something other than Riou's level triggers this glitch, but the question is: what? :D
Maybe a certain event, or maybe it depends on your decisions through the game, like promising Jowy to come back to that stone when they get seperated, or "We will make it together", etc.

Or maybe it's random once you start a new game.. just a thought that came to my mind when they all joined at "normal levels", what do you think?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Shinyo wrote:I have a question for you guys: Once the first one of those guys joins at 99, do all the others join at 99, too?
yes this is the case from my experience.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

Uh.. wouldn't this be fairly easy to figure out when it happens if you use a GameShark code to toggle Pesmerga/Mazus/Hoi/LC Chan as recruited after every major story event, then reset if they aren't level 99? To start with, toggle them recruited at the start of the game when you first have access to Leona's list in the fort when recruiting.

You could start with loading Suikoden 1 save data and toggling them recruited at Leona's, and then not loading S1 data and toggling them recruited at Leona's.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what code are you suggesting to use? if your code is just to set them to "recruited" to appear in the SOD list, their levels are not initialized the way the recruitment script does it; they would just be at level 1. i've used codes to add in squirrels, late game characters and other characters (setting their recruitment status to recruited), and they all start at level 1 instead of their recruitment level. the only exception i think is Valeria/Kasumi - i believe their stats are initialized from loading the memory at the beginning (and likely the other S1 characters would be initialized too) or when you're reviewing their info at Gregminster... anyway, i always added the counter-part after choosing one.