[Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
nostalgia

Re: [Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

Post by nostalgia »

I see. Thanks for the advice. I think that's actually better and mind the error with Luc since he has a speed ring permanently equipped. Although the problem now is, who'll equip the Mother Earth Rune..... Oh well... good thing I have a speed stone in my vault. :D
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Replace Luc's Sunbeam with Mother Earth, as Luc is by far the best support mage in the game, with the highest MAG growth (08 = 200 @ level 60, netting you 9/8/5/3 MP) and A affinity in all support runes, including Wind.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Raou

Post by Raou »

Alrighty...I've been meaning to post in this but it's not so much a 'party' but so much as customizing a character a certain way. A foreward though: I beat the game with level 60+ characters so this time I level bumped almost everyone into the 90's...with some exceptions. Here's some character customizations I found were useful if you choose NOT to exploit the game's glitches.

1) Hoi with Double Beat Runes: If you have Hoi being the only one attack high level enemies, he'll steal a pretty penny for you which cuts down on the cash grind for all those pefectionists.

2.) Level 90+ Chaco: If you get this character up into the 90's, his speed tops that of the main character. Equip him with nothing but Wing Ornaments, A Wind Hat, Taikyoku Wear, and slap two Gale Runes on him along with the Spark Rune, you'll see an unholy 400+ speed count, enabling even the slowest fighters to move before the enemy. Not to mention that, for me, Chaco can usually get anywhere from 2-5 attacks I think because of his speed.

3.) Killey and Sheena: I have these two high leveled and equipped with the best armor I can manage along with A Fury Rune, Double Beat and Double Strike on both of them along with maxed weapons. With these two in my team, it seemed like they'd shave off 3000 between them with criticals and sometimes more considering if they get more attacks due to their stats.

I'm still playing around with Runes and characters but these are a few I've made for my game along with Riou having a Mother Earth, Bright Shield and Double Beat, turning him into an all around good character...with, in honesty, if they allowed him to get maxed he'd be better than any other character in the game. Hoi at level 94 only surpasses him in speed only...which is funny. He's simply not Roy.
Hadouken

Post by Hadouken »

My personal favorite:

Riou, Pesmerga, Viktor
Luc, Tir, Mazus

I used Tir interchangeably with Eilie when i had to go pick him up.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

^
Not bad. I'm curious how you dealt with Pesmerga's one-rune-slot limitation, though.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

My two favorite teams:

Team A
Viktor/Bolgan/Flik
Eilie/Riou/Rina

Riou - Of course, our hero. Some people prefer to use him as a physical attacker since he has good physical stats (DEF is the lowest at only 125 by level 60), but I loved the Spark/Bright Shield/Flowing/Magic Drain setup and I have since made it my standard build for him.

*Bright Shield offers healing and light-element magic like no other; Battle Oath and Forgiver Sign are just awesome.
*Spark enables slowpokes like Bolgan to attack first before most enemies since Riou has good speed (only Nanami, Shiro, Kasumi, and Stallion are faster than him, and I use Nanami as my Spark rune bearer and back-up supportive mage).
*Flowing gives out Kindness Rain at Level 2, something that I really need to make use of since Shining Light from the Bright Shield rune isn't exactly very damaging, even against the undead. That's why I have suggested that Bright Shield spells should be based on Riou's Resurrection affinity (at B, it's the only high affinity he has).
*Magic Drain on Riou's weapon allows him to spam Great Blessing for minor healing pretty much all day.

Viktor - one of the best physical attackers in the game. DB/DS/Friendship is easy 400+ ATK and 500+ damage per strike (not per turn) to normal enemies.

Flik - the best Mage Knight in the game after Jowy, whom we can't use for long. Decent attack power, nice Unite with Viktor, high MAG (9/6/3/2 at level 60) and good affinity to Lightning and Fire elements (B in both) and okay affinity to Earth (C). Thunder + Rage = Blazing Camp, GG.

Eilie - good stats overall, good unite with Rina and Bolgan, and a decent mage with 8/5/2/1 MP at level 60 and nice affinity to Fire and Earth (B in both).

Rina - one of the best magicians in the game; high MAG (same MAG as Flik), B affinity to water and C in everything else, making her both a good healer and a good offensive mage with *Blue Gate (its last two spells base their damage on the user's Water affinity).

Bolgan - not exactly a star character since he has no free rune slots but he has pretty high STR (180), DEF (140), and HP (680); good armors, and a nice Unite with Eilie and Rina, so I use him as the party tank. Skill Ring + Thunder Amulet should help offset his low TECH.

Team B
Hix/Riou/Gadget
Tengaar/Millie/Meg

See my Riou setup above.

Hix - One rune slot but has a permanent Exertion rune so it's all good. I use either Double-Beat so he can attack twice per turn, or Double-Strike to increase the damage of his Unite Attack with Tengaar.

Gadget - Has the highest natural DEF in the game, 400 DEF at Level 60 is piece of cake for him, so even the strongest enemies in the game can't touch him unless they use magic, which he has pretty much no defense against. Equip Meg with the Lubricating Oil from the Rope Climbing game and watch a Berserked Gagdet deal 500 damage to all enemies with their Unite Attack.

Tengaar - One of the best magicians in the game; she has the same MAG as Rina and Flik (9/6/3/2 at Level 60), and actually has better overall affinities than Rina (B in Earth, Fire, and Wind), although she can't use *Blue Gate. Her unite attack with Hix is awesome, though she damages Hix with it. However, it appears to be only at a certain percentage, so it's not possible to kill Hix with it. Nonetheless, pretty awesome but underrated character.

Millie - One of the best underrated magicians in the game. Sure, she's nowhere near as powerful as Luc, but she's the only character aside Mazus to have A affinities in two of the most commonly used offensive elements in the game: Fire and Lightning. So expect her Fire and Lightning spells to pack quite a punch despite only having 8/5/2/1 MP at level 60. Although she can use Blue Gate, it's not advisable because she has bad affinity to Water (E), so Pale Palace and Empty World can backfire. However, if you still want her to use BG, that's fine as long as you don't use both spells. I would instead use *Rage, or *Thunder if I already have another Fire mage (like Tengaar or Nina).

Meg - Pretty underrated as well; bad attack but she has one of the highest critical rates in the game (10.78%); second only to Riou, Shin, and Shilo (11.25%). Although she has a pretty bad MAG stat (only 7/4/2/1 at Level 60), she has an A affinity in Lightning and Wind. Meg can actually deal Lightning damage comparable to that of Millie, an A-rank Lightning mage with one MAG rank higher. But then again, they're no Luc or Mazus. Although her damage is not counted in her unite with Gadget, it's pretty awesome to see him annihilate Highland soldiers in the final dungeon with it.

As always, Friendship and Exertion are my go-to Weapon Runes for fighters, then either Down, Rage, or Thunder for L-ranged magicians or for other fighters when I have already used Friendship and Exertion, and S-ranged magicians except for battle mages like Sierra (has a permanent Thunder rune on weapon) and Zamza in front shall have Mother Earth runes on weapons.

I usually equip my parties with resistance gears rather than power gears because the final dungeon is pretty magic heavy even with the usual appearance of Highland soldiers inside.

Lucia uses Dancing Flames (Lv2 Rage spell) and a nasty target-all spell (Hellfire from Suikoden 3?).

Bronzem has a normal attack (affects DEF), a column-wide Earth-element normal attack (affects DEF), and a target-all Earth-element magic attack (affects MDEF).

Magus has a Fire-element Hadouken magic attack, and a very nasty Flaming Arrows spell.

Chimera has three heads. Eagle Head has a column-wide Sonic Scream magic attack, the Lion Head has a target-all fire attack, and the Goat Head has a column-wide Rust Breath. The Rust status works like Stone in the FF games, but unlike FF it can be healed by healing spells, NOT restorative items except Sunomono from Hai Yo's kitchen.

Seed uses Explosion (Lv3 Rage spell) and Silent Lake (Lv3 Flowing spell), while Culgan uses Thor Shot (Lv3 Thunder spell) and Kindness Rain (Lv2 Flowing spell) and buffs Seed with a Thunder Sword Rune spell, which will appear in Suikoden 3.

The Beast Rune's Left Head mostly uses Water-element attacks. The Right Head's Sword Attack is a fire-element normal attack. The Rune Part's Dark Dragon attack is a dark-element normal attack, and only Silver Armor and Silver Shield gives resistance to dark. The Beast Rune's Unite Attack reduces everyone's current HP to 25%, much like the Demi2/Graviga spell from the FF games.

If you're not worried about magic damage, then fine, you can use a power build if you like. But if you only want to know what elements are needed for the final dungeon, you don't need a Wind-element resistance for this one. However, the best Cap-type head armor in the game is a Wind Hat, so you can't really avoid it unless the character is a Helmet-type, in which case s/he can equip a Flame Helmet and replace the redundant Fire Emblem with a Power Ring.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Personaly i like parties with characters who have something in common...since you can beat the game with anyone,with a little effort.

For example here are some parties that i like:

Pesmerga/Genshu/Vincent
Mazus/Riou/Sasuke or Mondo

(Characters who can be recruited when you reach castle level 4)

Georg/Lorelai/Killey
Riou/Viki/(Anyone)

(Suikoden 5 team)

Pesmerga/Flik/Viktor
Clive/Riou/Tir

(Suikoden 1 team)

etc.
Shane Rodell

Post by Shane Rodell »

This is my current team:

Gantetsu:

I just simply love this character. He may not be the best mage in the game but if you really look at him stat wise he wasn't meant to be one. If anything he is like Riou, a physical attacker with high affinity in supportive magic. I use Dbl. Strike/Dbl. Beat/Resurrection/Friendship runes on him, which I believe fits his M.O.

Hanna:

Most people look a Hanna and say she is pretty bland, prolly one of the most boring characters in the game. To me, boring=not used and I like playing with characters that rarely see the battlefield. With her I use Firefly(Or Double Beat) with a Mother Earth Rune in the weapon. Because she can use shields and has good PROT and decent MDEF, she makes a really awesome tank if built right. The only thing that hurts her is her HP, but it doesn't matter when you have the capability to gain resistances to every element.

Shiro:

Fast and Furious, Shiro(Along with Ayda) is my primary wave clearer. His speed and damage, combined with the Double beat rune, makes him ideal for taking out mobs.

Riou:

The hero of the game. Him, Gantetsu, and Kinnison are my primary damage dealers. I use Dbl. Strike/Dbl. Beat/Bright Shield/Thunder on him. Simple yet effective

Ayda:

Other then Kasumi she is one of my favorite female characters in the game. So naturally I used her in all my playthroughs. Right now I run Spark/Mother Earth/Sleep on her and use speed and skill gears to help her get multi attacks off. She synergizes well with Shiro because she can potentially put 2-3 opponents to sleep, while Shiro comes in and burst them down.

Kinnison:

Powerhouse L-range damage dealer with a good critical chance. Again, Dbl. Strike/Dbl. Beat are my runes while I use Exertion in the weapon.

Now I know this team isn't the strongest ever but its fun. My next playthrough I'm going to run Kasumi/Mondo/Freed/Hero/Sasuke/Yoshino and see how that goes.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Has anyone tried using a Phero Rune in a normal playthrough?

I have two set-up ideas:

1. Male Tank + Female Mages or Glass Cannons - the male tank equips the Phero Rune and acts as a Physical Damage Tank for the ladies at the back or at the front. Humphrey is the best physical tank in the game but he only has one rune slot. Other characters with more rune slots can also equip Phero, but the main problem would be their tanking abilities. Riou, for example, has 05 HP, 05 MDEF, and 04 DEF (620 HP, 145 MDEF and 125 DEF @ level 60) and medium armors. However, not a lot of people consider him a tank because one, other characters can do it better; and two, most people would build Riou as Damage Dealer.

2. Female Tank + Male Mages or Glass Cannons - same deal as above, but as an added bonus the female tank can protect Riou. Oulan is the best tank in the game, with high stats in HP, DEF, and MDEF; and she can also deal good damage with her Angry Dragon, more if you can keep her Berserk for long without a Fury Rune. Hanna isn't too shabby either, her average HP hurts her but her good armor selection allows her to resist all elements.

I am not sure if Phero protects allies of the opposite sex even when they are not injured, but I guess if you really want a dedicated tank, Firefly would do it. If anyone knows more about Phero, please let me know.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Suikoden I and II are not hard enough that you would need to stick to the strongest characters. I think they did it on purpose so that all the numerous playable characters have their chance.

Right now I'm playing SII and heading towards the end of the game with this party:
Tir/Valeria/Gangetsu
Karen/Rina/Lorelai

And I'm having no problems whatsoever.

At some point I had some fun playing with underdogs like Hai Yo and Shilo and I had no problems either. Gameplay-wise, Suikoden I & II are not difficult games at all.

I think only your personal affinity with one character or the other matters. It's a game, it's made for enjoyment, I prefer them to calculations (unless you find calculations particularily interesting :D )
laclongquan

Post by laclongquan »

Pre-Tir party (aka harem party)

MC/Nanami/Eilie
Rina/Tengar/Lorelai

MC/Nanami to have some versatile.Their normal attacks are likely leadingto multi-hit.
Rina as mage. Eillie and Tengar for both spells and attack-all long range shootings.
Lorelai is optional, replaceable with required character.

Post-Tir party

MC/Nanami/Tir
Eilie/Rina/Tengar
Tengar can be exchanged for other required chars.

Tir I equip with Gale and Spark, ensure massive up-speed
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

laclongquan wrote:Pre-Tir party (aka harem party)

MC/Nanami/Eilie
Rina/Tengar/Lorelai

MC/Nanami to have some versatile.Their normal attacks are likely leadingto multi-hit.
Rina as mage. Eillie and Tengar for both spells and attack-all long range shootings.
Lorelai is optional, replaceable with required character.

Post-Tir party

MC/Nanami/Tir
Eilie/Rina/Tengar
Tengar can be exchanged for other required chars.

Tir I equip with Gale and Spark, ensure massive up-speed
Who would you use if Nanami is gone after Rockaxe?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Anybody tried to use the 5 squirells when you invade L'Rennouile??? :roll:

I guess each squirell is different...othrs are better physical fighters,and others are better mages
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Sasarai10 wrote:I guess each squirell is different...othrs are better physical fighters,and others are better mages
I guess. Mikumiku is fast, but that's it. Otherwise their stats are garbage. Makumaku is the only one who gets two Rune slots, the others are stuck with 1, the ability to only equip 1 type of magic Rune, and an E-affinity with that Rune (backfire). While one may be "better" in something relative to the others, none of them (besides Miku's speed) are particularly "good" at anything.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:
I guess. Mikumiku is fast, but that's it. Otherwise their stats are garbage. Makumaku is the only one who gets two Rune slots, the others are stuck with 1, the ability to only equip 1 type of magic Rune, and an E-affinity with that Rune (backfire). While one may be "better" in something relative to the others, none of them (besides Miku's speed) are particularly "good" at anything.

I guess you can pull it off by using the squirells,because i want to see one of them dragging Riou outside the throne room,and what they'll say in their dialogues when they'll find the king isn't here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After all one guy here (gildedtalon if i remember well) managed to beat the Beast Rune solo....so why not,by using 5 extra squirells?