[Discussion] IczR1's Suikoden 2 Character Rankings

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
IczR1

Post by IczR1 »

Millie also has a +40% affinity with Fire and Lightning, which are the most damaging elements (Rage vs. all enemies, Thunder vs. a single one). If you consider that she can use BOTH at the same time with a +40% boost (Luc can't do that, but Mazus can), she is an elite offensive mage :]
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wow, i never bothered to use Milllie or Karen after i first recruited them..
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

youd be surprised what you find when you use different characters.

i like to use camuus, riou and wakkaba in front and kinnison,ayda and millie in the back.

try them, it works magically
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

People forget about using Mother Earth offensively - the third level spell Earthquake is 800 damage to all enemies, that's better than the equivalent Rage rune spell. Put that on someone like Karen or even Riou for excellent results. I used this spell in my lvl 99 tricks :p

Didn't test exertion last night ( forgot ) - i have written it on my hand so it will happen tonight.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

Okay this is weird...

EXERTION RUNE TESTS

Valeria setup ( with exertion not friendship patk is 351 )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/ ... ure016.jpg

All tests conducted on Eyeflowers around Greenhill - and yes many were harmed in the making!

----------------------------------
Test 1 - Normal Hits, No weapon rune

Round 1 - 475
Round 2 - 477
Round 3 - 481

So it seems her base damage without a weapon rune is 475-ish.

Test 2 - Normal Hits, Exertion rune

Round 1 - 564
Round 2 - 657
Round 3 - 739

So you can see the damage increase immediately from the first round ( 475 x 1.2 = 570 )

To test the limits of this I tried vs six enemies

Round 1 - 566
Round 2 - 651
Round 3 - 740
Round 4 - 828
Round 5 - 921
Round 6 - 1010

NOW HANG ON A SECOND... That is an extra increase! If the first round is 1.2x, then it keeps going up 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 the 1010 is 2.2?
475 x 2.0 = 950
475 x 2.2 = 1045... so is exertion then even more powerful than it says?

So my next thought is "perhaps it increases the base damage then calls that 1.0 before increasing". However 566 x 2.0 = 1132 and its clearly not that high... so I figured maybe it was a glitch...

Test 3 - Falcon Rune, Exertion rune : Six enemies

So I thought - okay the falcon rune is what we want to use exertion for, so lets try it with that and see if we can confirm that increase again. Here's the results:

Round 1 - 1134
Round 2 - 1304
Round 3 - 1490
Round 4 - 1660
Round 5 - 1826
Round 6 - 5050 ( critical rune hit )

Even though the last hit was critical, I've proved before that the falcon critical attack is 5x damage, and 1010 x 5 = 5050. So it seems that yet again the damage doesn't stop at 2.0x!!

CONCLUSION

So while I basically proved my point ( round 1 is 1.2x normal damage ) I also found that Exertion possibly goes -beyond- 2.0x damage!

How to confirm? I guess the best way would be taking a weak character and equipping the rune ( Hix perhaps if you havent' used him ). Since he wont kill these flowers in one hit you can go more than six rounds to see if it caps. I'm pretty sure from gameplay experience that it does cap, I remember Valeria's damage levelling off in boss fights earlier in the game. Its just weird that it seemingly goes to 2.2x damage!!
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Stallion wrote:People forget about using Mother Earth offensively - the third level spell Earthquake is 800 damage to all enemies, that's better than the equivalent Rage rune spell.
While Earthquake is better than level 3 of Rage Rune, Earthquake only hits enemies on the land, meaning that it's totally useless on flying enemies. Not much, but still a drawback. Plus, the level 4 of Mother Earth Rune is simply not that great.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
IczR1

Post by IczR1 »

@Stallion
Thx for testing it, and interesting that the damage boost exceeds 2.0 in the 5th turn :shock:

Now there are already THREE things that can be corrected/added in the Suikoden 2 Gameplay Guide Section:

correcting ...
- he note about Exertion Rune's damage multiplier (it's 1.2 - 2.2 instead of 1.0 - 2.0, actually there aren't ANY numbers mentioned ^^)
- the note about Valeria's Falcon Rune Critical Hit (it's x5 instead of x3)

adding ...
- the growth rate data to the Stat Growth Guide

[changes]

- Hix 4.0 -> 4.2 (woohoo, climbing up the ladder ^^)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Stallion wrote:People forget about using Mother Earth offensively - the third level spell Earthquake is 800 damage to all enemies, that's better than the equivalent Rage rune spell. Put that on someone like Karen or even Riou for excellent results. I used this spell in my lvl 99 tricks :p

Didn't test exertion last night ( forgot ) - i have written it on my hand so it will happen tonight.
yeah like i wrote in another topic.. Luc w/M. Earth = 1100+ earthquake spell, and he has the potential to have 4 of em!
EmOpUnKbOi

Post by EmOpUnKbOi »

i'm glad lorelai ranked high. she is my favorite character.
so give me all your poison and give me all your pills
and give me all your hopeless thoughts that make me ill
abel33

Post by abel33 »

I might test the limits of Exertion Rune if i can find my GS... (gsing strength to absymal levels)
Brian333

Missing Characters

Post by Brian333 »

McDohl isn't on the list
Alastor

Post by Alastor »

I am not sure how to rank someone, but i remember, once, that i put Fury on Camus and on my was to Gegminster there was no enemy who suffered less damage that 1000 by his attacks. :twisted:
BP0415

Post by BP0415 »

Also, I think Valeria is underrated in terms of one aspect. I found out that her Falcon Rune criticals according to normal critical principles, not 1/5 as previously thought. With 200+ Tech, whatever the luck is at Lvl 60, and a killer rune, I got a critical on average once every 3 or so attacks. One time I had 4 critical Falcon Rune attacks in a row. Combine that with an exertion rune and Battle Oath and you have an extremely deadly character. She dealt around 1500 to the Beast Rune's Rune (which would be normally 3000 in most cases) with that combo.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ah, i never bothered too much with Valeria near the end of the game. her critical Falcon is good stuff! if her criticals are really based on stats, Skill and Luck Rings will be nice to have as well.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

She can't equip Lucky Rings though. :P

Master Garb + 3 Skill Rings = 75 TEC. Go nuts!