[FAQ] Transferring Suikoden I save data

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Jam-Jul Lison

Re: Things carried over...

Post by Jam-Jul Lison »

KFCrispy wrote:you can load ANY save from Suikoden I to Suikoden II. loading ANY save with all 108 Stars of Destiny will unlock Gremio in Suikoden II.

Any save will not do. I tried once to upload a save from before the final war battle and it would not let me use it in Suikoden 2. Though it does let you use any save from after the final war battle. As for the 108 stars thing, sadly I never got all 108 in Suikoden. It is a pain to get them all in the first game compared to all the other games. If I can ever find me a new copy of the game though I will be sure to give it a try again though.
madhatter

Post by madhatter »

I recently picked up a PS3 and tried loading my Suikoden data to Suikoden 2 and after roughly 20 hours of gameplay in Suikoden 2 I get to Banner and I don't have McDohl....This is extremely frustrating because I got all 108 stars and saved right before the final boss. Is there anyway you can actually tell BEFORE Banner if any of your data was successfully pulled over?
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

You know, he's only there the second time you go there. When you first go there for storyline reasons, he's not there. His sidequest is later.
Purr.
madhatter

Post by madhatter »

:oops: I completely forgot. It's been years since I've played through these games back to back. But I remember the kid that you eventually have to save is dressed like McDohl, not the current main character. Am I wrong? The kid is dressed like my current character.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

That's the kid you save, though.
Purr.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Jam-Jul Lison wrote:
KFCrispy wrote:you can load ANY save from Suikoden I to Suikoden II. loading ANY save with all 108 Stars of Destiny will unlock Gremio in Suikoden II.

Any save will not do. I tried once to upload a save from before the final war battle and it would not let me use it in Suikoden 2. Though it does let you use any save from after the final war battle. As for the 108 stars thing, sadly I never got all 108 in Suikoden. It is a pain to get them all in the first game compared to all the other games. If I can ever find me a new copy of the game though I will be sure to give it a try again though.

doesn't Gremio get revived as you are entering the final battle? so any save with Gremio revived is already after the final battle. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Is there an existing, concrete list of what's carried over, somewhere?

This topic is full of "unsure" stuff. The character and weapon levels can take a seat, but in equipment and rune cases, it has to be resolved.

So what I'm sure as of now are only this:

1. Silver Hat and Master Garb for Tir, and Windspun Armor for Humphrey.

2. "Man-made orbs/runes" (Double-Beat,etc.) are not carried over.

3. Nothing more.

I hope someone could make a "sure" list.
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

Also, if Tir has Earth Boots equipped at the end of 1, then he will have Winged Boots equipped in 2.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I've always wondered... what are Tir's default equips if he does not have the Silver Hat, Master Garb, and Earth Boots from Suikoden I?
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Okay, I just wanted to post this frustrating experience of mine.

As of now, I am replaying S2, and have all S1 characters (except Stallion) during my first time in Lakewest.

I have equipped all my S1 characters with SILVER HAT, MASTER GARB, and SPEED RINGS (yes, all of them), and even Power Gloves/Rings for the others, as well as Cyclone for Luc, Thunder for Flik, and Fortune Rune for the others with no specialty (like Tai Ho, Viktor, etc.) And even a Champion Rune for Pesmerga, lol, but I doubt that'll carry...

I also equipped Horned Helms to those who can, as well as Taikyoku Wears.

Not one was carried over as of now. Only Windspun Armor for Humphrey (I got him early because of Matilda glitch). 60 hours of item-farming in S1 down the drain for me...

Only boosts in Levels and Weapon levels were carried. Tai Ho still had a Killer Rune no matter what Rune you place on him.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Heck, Viktor's rune does not carry over (I gave him Mother Earth during Suikoden I), I doubt anybody would carry over theirs.
Suikidal

Post by Suikidal »

Jam-Jul Lison wrote:

Thats weird, every time i've loaded data from Suikoden into Suikoden 2, i save after recruiting Sonya (i recruited her last out of the 108) and saving at the HQ Inn. Suikoden 2 recognises this file and lets me load it and i always get McDohl this way.

in Suikoden 1 McDohl had: Silver Hat, Master Garb, Power Gloves and a Guard Ring.
in Suikoden 2 he joined with: Silver Hat, Master Garb, Winged Boots, Obento (healing item) and a Guard Ring.

Other characters had sharper weapons, but none had anything else (levels, armour, runes). I never gave Humphrey the Windspun Armour so i'll try that next time

Sometimes though, Viktor joins at level 24 instead though. Usually him and Flik both join at level 20
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i really doubt McDohl's equipment in the first game affects his equipment in the second game. however, nobody's really been able to test because that's the best equipment for him in Suikoden I and they keep it on him in the saves...
Suikidal

Post by Suikidal »

KFCrispy wrote:i really doubt McDohl's equipment in the first game affects his equipment in the second game. however, nobody's really been able to test because that's the best equipment for him in Suikoden I and they keep it on him in the saves...

Well i'm just about to free Teresa from Greenhill in Suikoden 2 with Suikoden 1 data loaded into it just now. When i complete it, i'll rob McDohl of his stuff from Suikoden 1 and save it so i can load it into Suikoden 2 again then find out what equipment he has.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

uhh well the problem with your test is that you have to start a completely new game in order to load the new data and get to the point where you can recruit mcdohl in Suikoden 2.