[FAQ] Cook-off and Recipes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
FuSuLu

Post by FuSuLu »

Sailor wrote:I'm curious if anyone has ever tied battle #9? In case you can't recall, that's the battle which the chef you're challenging will get a 50 every time. I know one time in that battle had I known about the preferences of the judges, I certainly would have gotten a 50. I presume you still lose somehow, but does the reason for you losing change? Is there some tie-breaker round?
I am confused. Doesn't the chef who you battle always get a perfect score? I was under the impression that the 4 judges always award him a perfect score of 5 for all three dishes, making him have a score of 60. I haven't played him in a long time, so I could be wrong. But wouldn't a score of 50 make him beatable?

(I have never actually gotten into the 50s, but theoretically I thought it might be possible. I think my highest cooking score was 48 or some such number.)
Buff

Post by Buff »

FuSuLu wrote: I am confused. Doesn't the chef who you battle always get a perfect score? I was under the impression that the 4 judges always award him a perfect score of 5 for all three dishes, making him have a score of 60. I haven't played him in a long time, so I could be wrong. But wouldn't a score of 50 make him beatable?
that would be resto and he uses a spell that hypnotizes the judges to giving him a perfect score.
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

Ok, I've been hoarding recipes the entire game and purposely avoiding Hai Yo's kitchen.

I have (among others) every Recipe that I can confirm drops from an enemy: Recipe #12 (Eagle Man), #21 (Land Shark), #29 (Zombie Slug), #34 (Yellow DoReMi Elf), and #36 (Highlands Archer).

It IS safe to drop these off now, right? My storehouse is loaded up with Runes and with all these Recipes inventory space is at a premium...
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

You don't have to wait for all the recipes, there is only glitch with #12 and #34. So, when you have those two (among with others), you can give them to Hai Yo.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Lourde Incarnadine

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:You don't have to wait for all the recipes, there is only glitch with #12 and #34. So, when you have those two (among with others), you can give them to Hai Yo.
Call it paranoia. I love the game, but that doesn't make me any less leery of the bugs...
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I am thinking of playing Suikoden 2 again, with the intention of doing the cook-off and there is something I am confused about with cooking.

When you use ingredients in the contest, is it used up forever? Or if you get two tomatoes in the game. Then are you always able to use two tamatoes in the cook off?

I am asking this because I am looking at a guide that says there are limited amount of these ingredients. Like for example: it says only 4 tomatoes are availble throughout the game. So does this mean you can only make 4 tomato recipes throughout the game?

Sorry if I sound really dumb. I have played Suiko2 three times and never tried the cooking contest.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Lourde Incarnadine

Sickpup wrote:I am thinking of playing Suikoden 2 again, with the intention of doing the cook-off and there is something I am confused about with cooking.

When you use ingredients in the contest, is it used up forever? Or if you get two tomatoes in the game. Then are you always able to use two tamatoes in the cook off?

I am asking this because I am looking at a guide that says there are limited amount of these ingredients. Like for example: it says only 4 tomatoes are availble throughout the game. So does this mean you can only make 4 tomato recipes throughout the game?

Sorry if I sound really dumb. I have played Suiko2 three times and never tried the cooking contest.
In the cooking contest, Hai Yo has access to unlimited amounts of any ingredients or spices that he needs. The limits for ingredients only come into play when you are setting up a non-contest menu of food that you can buy from him, and he doesn't use anything up.

So if you had three Tomato plants, you could make a menu that has one Recipe with two Tomatoes and another with one Tomato, but no more than three Tomatoes total. And if you came back later to change the menu, you could find some other combination of recipes just like before; he'll still have his three tomatoes.
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

how to get recipe for Gengish Khan ? the one that Highland soldiers drop in Rockace castle ... all i get is the food not the recipe
kelvin loves suikoden
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Keep on fighting, and make sure that you're fighting the right enemies. Eventually, they will drop.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
niki

Post by niki »

FuSuLu wrote:
Sailor wrote:I'm curious if anyone has ever tied battle #9? In case you can't recall, that's the battle which the chef you're challenging will get a 50 every time. I know one time in that battle had I known about the preferences of the judges, I certainly would have gotten a 50. I presume you still lose somehow, but does the reason for you losing change? Is there some tie-breaker round?
I am confused. Doesn't the chef who you battle always get a perfect score? I was under the impression that the 4 judges always award him a perfect score of 5 for all three dishes, making him have a score of 60. I haven't played him in a long time, so I could be wrong. But wouldn't a score of 50 make him beatable?

(I have never actually gotten into the 50s, but theoretically I thought it might be possible. I think my highest cooking score was 48 or some such number.)
You can't win this time whatever you do ...
try going to gregminster, and talk to the people named gremio
he will give you his stew recipe
but....It's only happened if you have load suikoden I data at the start of the game
niki

Post by niki »

oh, I forgot
you can try this recipe for good result
Steak + soy sauce
Cake + no ingredients or + sugar

He..he..he.. that's all I know
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Bolgan in the cook-offs will always give you a "5" (I guess he likes anything...). So, just keep trying to get him and a mix of other like-tasting characters and you could attempt to beat that dude or at least tie him.
Cloudy-Chan

Re: Cook-off and Recipes

Post by Cloudy-Chan »

I think the whole fun behind the cook-offs is to guess and try and satisfy everyone with your own judgment, since the host gives you clues about what they like.
Avalionis

Re: Cook-off and Recipes

Post by Avalionis »

I had managed to tie him once before...but he still ended up winning regardless. Afterwards, I used some of the best recipes I had and JUST barely beat him.
highwind44029

Re:

Post by highwind44029 »

Falenan_descent wrote:Bolgan in the cook-offs will always give you a "5" (I guess he likes anything...). So, just keep trying to get him and a mix of other like-tasting characters and you could attempt to beat that dude or at least tie him.
Bolgan, Viktor, Rikimaru...

Edit: Oh yeah, I missed the point of my post. What is the best appetizer to use in the cook-offs? The best I have ever gotten is Green Salad, but the scores are like 2, 3, or 4, usually, with the occasional 5 from a vegetarian like Wakaba. I was wondering if somebody has a better one. The main dish and the dessert are the ones that get the 5's (Full Course, Special Stew, Cake, Ice Cream). There has to be one for appetizers...