Recruiting lvl99 characters (spoliers)

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
suikokid2

Recruiting lvl99 characters (spoliers)

Postby suikokid2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Forgive me if I or someone else made a topic on this but dont remember it but, does anyone know the recruiting some characters at lvl99 glitch? IF so, does anyone know how to trigger it to get the glitch to activate and work?

Does anyone know if this glitch can work on the actual PS1/PSP versions as well or ONLY on emulators?

Also has ANYONE experienced this glitch before, running into this glitch before while they were playing the PSX/PSP version of the game? I just would love to know if its possible, like without emulators lol

Omnigamer

Re: Recruiting lvl99 characters (spoliers)

Postby Omnigamer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 am

The explicit details are here:

http://suikosource.com/games/bugs.php?game=gs2&bug=15

As for your specific questions though, it seems to be mostly related to older PC emulators. I haven't heard any reports whatsoever of this happening on actual hardware or through more recent official emulators (PSN etc). Since it works by loading garbage data, it pretty much comes down to pure chance whether it triggers or not.

suikokid2

Postby suikokid2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 am

Omnigamer wrote:The explicit details are here:

As for your specific questions though, it seems to be mostly related to older PC emulators. I haven't heard any reports whatsoever of this happening on actual hardware or through more recent official emulators (PSN etc). Since it works by loading garbage data, it pretty much comes down to pure chance whether it triggers or not.

Ok thank you!

suikokid2

Postby suikokid2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Omnigamer wrote:The explicit details are here:

I just found out, in one recent play through i got my Riou to about lv81 i think something like that, then i recruited Georg, Hoi, Mazus, and Pesmerga near the end of the game and they came around 80+ through 99 but just them. This wasnt on emulator but it wasnt on an actual copy either. It was on the PSN store digital download copy. Does this change anything?

Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Postby Wolkendrache » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:33 pm

I was using epsxe emulator in recent years and never updated from version 1.5.2, and in my last 2-3 playthroughs I always got the following 5 characters at level 99: Pesmerga, Georg, Mazus, L.C. Chan, Hoi. I didn't get Anita or Vincent at level 99. I recruited all characters in the "common" order http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S2
I got Anita in Muse, not at Banner or with Valeria, and since some players got her at Lv99, maybe you should try getting her later at Banner. I got L.C. Chan late in Crom, not in Rockaxe earlier using the Matilda Trick, and since some players did not get him at Lv99, maybe you must get him later in Crom. As for Vincent, I have no idea, but I'd say try to get him as late as possible because as you can see, the later the better.
I loaded Suikoden data before starting, and else I played "normal": got all characters and tried to get all collectables. Trying to keep the characters below level 39/49 (so I can do the level boost trick later) was the only "unusual" behaviour. But I really don't know if all the latter even matters, or whether an old emulator is all you need.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan

wataru14
Guide Writer

Postby wataru14 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Anita can be recruited at Lv 99 in Banner if you have Valeria in your party at level 99.

Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Postby Wolkendrache » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:22 am

Here http://suikosource.com/games/bugs.php?game=gs2&bug=15
it says Vincent’s and Anita’s levels are based on the hero’s level
but here http://suikosource.com/games/gs2/guides/initial.php
they’re not. Vincent has a fixed level like most others. Anita has an alternative fixed level like some others. However, in her case you can make her level based on Valeria’s level if you recruit her with Valeria, and that’s how the bug can kick in. In my understanding that’s the only way you can get Anita at Lv99 (apart from using the normal mechanics like in wataru14’s example above).
As for Vincent there’s no way of getting him at Lv99 unless his level is based on another character’s level. Is it possible that his level is based on Simone’s level, but only if Simone’s level is higher than 49 (which otherwise is Vincent’s starting level)?

Again, I got the other 5 characters (Pesmerga, Hoi, Mazus, Georg, L.C. Chan) at Lv99 many times, but never got Vincent and Anita at Lv99. I never recruited Anita in Banner using Valeria, and I never recruited Vincent when Simone’s level was higher than 49 (the latter is still only a theory).
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan

Pyriel
Webmaster

Postby Pyriel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:37 am

Quite a few of the characters have a starting level separate from the Hero's or whatever bonuses they're likely to gain. Chaco is level 1 at the start of the game and set to 29 in a script, but Pesmerga is 50 from the beginning, IIRC.

That said, the list on the bug page is partially based on information collected from walkthroughs and the like, so it's possible Vincent is there in error. Also, getting Anita to take a relative level seems to be pretty fiddly. Ultimately, I'm in the same situation as you. I can recall having hit the bug naturally with the obvious ones, and can therefore swear to those. I know I manipulated things once with Anita to see it happen (read: hax), so that one is a little shakier. It might never happen naturally. Vincent was a late addition to the list based on scouring the web for any I missed, and I'm pretty sure I never tested him because I consider him useless anyway.

wataru14
Guide Writer

Postby wataru14 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 pm

I compiled the Starting Level Guide for Suikosource and experimented with both Vincent and Anita. Bringing Riou and/or Simone to Vincent at varying levels did not affect his starting level at all, whether they were 1 or 99. Anita's starting level in Muse was always the same, no matter what Riou's was, and her level in Banner only changed with Valeria present. Valeria recruited but left at home did not change it (as far as I remember).

Return to “Suikoden II”