Suikoden 2 hardcore 1.5

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Squall

Re: Suikoden 2 nightmare

Postby Squall » Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks I was thinking of playing it again.
I look forward to having people with locked rune have more utility.
I'll try looking for all the rare runes this time around and try them out.

Shilo

Re: Suikoden 2 hardcore 1.4

Postby Shilo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:48 am

The patch is now updated, and rune slot mistake was fixed.

borjitasstoi

Postby borjitasstoi » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:03 am

more detalied version changelogs

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:27 am

Everything that changed, might take a while to gather.

Shilo

Re: Suikoden 2 hardcore updated to 1.5

Postby Shilo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:14 am

Fixed a bunch of issues with 1.4 and added a changelog.

ssxjin

Re: Suikoden 2 hardcore 1.5

Postby ssxjin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 am

Hi, I just started the game from the beginning using your mod and Pyriel's patch, but I can't get past the very first encounter with the Highlands (the part just before jumping off the cliff). They hit like a truck and can kill instantly even while defending. Tried almost everything but they will always take the first turn and I seriously think that this battle is pretty much unwinnable.

I really wanted to replay this game so bad, but this part kinda frustrates me :(

EDIT:
The game works fine now, I just applied the hardcore patch first before using Pyriel's bug fix patch. Doing the around way around will start the game from Lv. 1 and that explains why I can't beat the first Highland Army along with graphic glitches.

The normal battles are perfect, you can't really take down monsters easily without the aid of some spells and scrolls. I just beat the Mist Shade and it's still easy in my opinion though, I hope the upcoming bosses have better MDEF or HP and hits harder like the normal monsters.

Thank you for this wonderful experience, I'm really enjoying the game right now. I just wish that Boss Battles be far more challenging. Kudos :D

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:49 pm

If the patch works well, not much glitches then that's perfect. For the mist shade boss the fire spell nerfs probably helped or it would have been a drawn out endurance fight.

Pyriel
Webmaster

Postby Pyriel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:33 pm

This hard-mode patch is a PPF. It'll still work with a US image that's had the bug-fixes applied, in that PPF tools won't complain, but I'm pretty sure it won't work properly. One of the things the bug fix patcher does is resize several files, most notably UWASA1.BIN and UWASA2.BIN, which are the untranslated trade gossip. This doesn't cause the size of the patched image to differ because the original disc has several dummy sectors at the end, and the patch is able to keep the size the same by writing less padding. So long story short, the data the PPF wants to overwrite may or may not line up anymore. I don't recall offhand where UWASA1 falls on the disc, but anything after that would definitely be pushed out to a new location.

Doing it the other way around may work fine (apply hard-mode then bug-fixes). I doubt there's much overlap or fighting between hard-mode and the bug-fixes, but I won't guarantee it.

On a Japanese or European copy, only that last paragraph applies, I think. At least, I don't recall needing to resize any files on those versions.

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Pyriel wrote:This hard-mode patch is a PPF. It'll still work with a US image that's had the bug-fixes applied, in that PPF tools won't complain, but I'm pretty sure it won't work properly. One of the things the bug fix patcher does is resize several files, most notably UWASA1.BIN and UWASA2.BIN, which are the untranslated trade gossip. This doesn't cause the size of the patched image to differ because the original disc has several dummy sectors at the end, and the patch is able to keep the size the same by writing less padding. So long story short, the data the PPF wants to overwrite may or may not line up anymore. I don't recall offhand where UWASA1 falls on the disc, but anything after that would definitely be pushed out to a new location.

Doing it the other way around may work fine (apply hard-mode then bug-fixes). I doubt there's much overlap or fighting between hard-mode and the bug-fixes, but I won't guarantee it.

On a Japanese or European copy, only that last paragraph applies, I think. At least, I don't recall needing to resize any files on those versions.

How about a bug fix patch hardcore version? The data of the regular bug fix patch is available, it should be possible to manually rewrite the same data in the hard mode patched one without changing locations.

Pyriel
Webmaster

Postby Pyriel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 pm

If you can, in some way, provide something like a manifest of the changes you're making, I can look it over to see if there are any conflicts. If there are none, I'd rather just add notes explaining how to apply both patches in our respective readme files. If there are conflicts, my patcher doesn't really use PPF*, but it could be possible to make hardcore mode an optional part of it.

*The files in the patch with a ppf extension are my own personal version of PPF. The Lua engine in my patch tool doesn't support 64-bit integers natively, and traditional PPF doesn't support resizing files. Given the image is less than 600MB, so would never require a 64-bit offset, and that I needed to be able to do deltas and add data, I just kept the extension and rolled my own tools based on PPF.

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 pm

I will track down every changes in the data for the hardcore patch and put them in writing.

ssxjin

Postby ssxjin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm having a problem with the Bone Dragon, the game freezes after it's Fire/Meteor-like skill. Is there anyone here having the same problem? or is it just me because I applied both the bug-fix and hard-mode patch.

Also, I take back what I said before, it seems that Boss Battle's difficulty increases as you progress. Boss Monsters can become really nasty if you are not properly geared. Clive replaced Sheena/Killey as a powerhouse though, it can deal around 2,800 and thus, it really out damage my Rina and Luc's L4 spells combined making the Boss Battles easier.

Shilo

Postby Shilo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:21 am

Let me know if the problem persists even with another emulator plugin.

ssxjin

Postby ssxjin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:54 am

I finally beat it after a couple of tries without changing plugins, luckily it only cast Final Flame once and it didn't caused any freeze or crash. But still, I don't have any idea what really caused the problem aside from using save states.

Return to “Suikoden II”