[Mods] Suikoden 2 hardcore 1.5

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Squall

Re: Suikoden 2 nightmare

Post by Squall »

Thanks I was thinking of playing it again.
I look forward to having people with locked rune have more utility.
I'll try looking for all the rare runes this time around and try them out.
Shilo

Re: Suikoden 2 hardcore 1.4

Post by Shilo »

The patch is now updated, and rune slot mistake was fixed.
borjitasstoi

Post by borjitasstoi »

more detalied version changelogs
Shilo

Post by Shilo »

Everything that changed, might take a while to gather.
Shilo

Re: Suikoden 2 hardcore updated to 1.5

Post by Shilo »

Fixed a bunch of issues with 1.4 and added a changelog.
karlmarx_14

Re: Suikoden 2 hardcore 1.5

Post by karlmarx_14 »

its such a nightmare, monsters counter attacks I think atleast more than 50% chance
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

I'm curious as to what methods you used to change everything. I kinda want to do my own version of one myself but I'm a little in the dark when it comes to Suikoden 2 modding.
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

In my case it's a hex editor (FlexHex), "PCSX with debugger" for debugging, a self-made editor to edit monsters, character stats, encode/decode text, and of course all the info on this site. I'm doing a global rebalancing mod myself (hard too, but don't know if "hardcore") and it's 95% complete.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

I tried Shilo's hardcore mod and I like some of the changes he made but I feel he went a little overboard in a lot of areas. For instance, I used a cheat code to auto-level my group all the way to 99 and I was still having trouble killing the BonBons and Woodpeckers in the starter zones.

Trying to kill anything with Physical Damage is pointless, either I do little to no damage or the monster gets a counter off and does all/half my life. Forcing me to rely almost solely on Magic to kill anything.

Lemme know when your "Rebalance" mod is done and ill give it a go. Is it compatible with the bug fix patch or will I need to use a fresh iso?
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

Setting level to 99 by hacking doesn't increase stats, it only opens rune slots, so no wonder it didn't make a difference. Honestly magic was overpowered compared to physical even in the original, unless one does Fury+DoubleBeat+DoubleStrike stuff. Getting the balance between physical and magical right was one of the many things i tried to do. My work is based on the bugfix patch version, it won't work with the original iso.

Edit: i only tried changing character levels by manual RAM hacking for some tests, maybe there's some kind of proper cheat for auto-leveling.
Last edited by psychedelist on Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

Hmmmm, worked for me. Went from doing 0 damage on Millie to doing I think it was 48 after I autoleveled everybody.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

Magic being overpowered is "fine" since its a finite resource. Maybe the base damage on the lower level spells can be turned up some and the damage on the higher level spells can be turned down. Making it stronger early game and less of an Anti-Boss tool late game. But that's more of a personal opinion than anything and not really the core root of the problem.

While Physical attacks should be or do "less" damage than magical ones since they are infinite, they should never be completely obviated by magic to the point where they are borderline useless. And, as an added caveat, they shouldn't trivialize they need for magic either. Case in point with everyone's favorite method of using Fury + Double-Beat + Double-Strike in unison on a team of 6 Bruisers.

Balancing the two out where both complement each other is no easy feat mind you. My original idea was to tone down everyone's Stat Growth, specifically their PDEF, MDEF, HP and STR (maybe just everything down the board to be honest). My hopes in doing so would be to make fights more harrowing since everyone would deal less damage and take more of it. Couple that with having less HP overall and the game wouldn't be so brain-dead easy.
Shilo

Post by Shilo »

Despite all this... Some bosses ended up being easy because of evasion and firefly.
neoleaderz

Post by neoleaderz »

shilo i love this mod man, especially when we can obtain the hunter rune at the beginning of the game from "green wolf" on north sparrow pass.
but i think the hunter rune on this patch need to be fixed, whenever i get successfull hit with hunter rune it show damage always "0" never get "1" man except crit hit. i tried many thing to make hit damage = "1" like raise lvl to 99, sharp wpn to lvl 16, using gale,double-beat,double-strike but nothing works. did anyone know how to get succusfull 1 dmg hit on this patch :(
Renat

Post by Renat »

Hi all,
I cannot even pass a pack of 6 birds in the begining of the game, they one shot everything.
This mod is not well balanced at all. Don't you guys have something in between ?
For example just x3 all the life of the mobs, something simple.

Thx so much for the effort