Unused images

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Antimatzist

Unused images

Post by Antimatzist »

So somebody in my own Suikoden board looked into the Chinese PC version and found some unused images. Iirc most of them are also from this dungeon?
http://www.suikoversum.de/forum/viewtop ... 413#p18413

There are also two unused "monster" sprites. Anyone recognize them, maybe from another game?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Unfinished New Game +

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Those two don't really look like the same style as Suikoden II. And I feel like I've seen the last one somewhere...
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Actually they do look like Suikoden 2 art style, more specifically, enemy sprites when in battle. If any, bosses? It does fit on the gate with 2 sides filling up orbs: one on each side.

The 2nd one looks a bit like from the Karaya clan. Maybe like Lucia.

But either way the first one I felt I had seen it before. Will search through some leads...

Is there really a difference in the Chinese version, English version and Japanese version?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Google's reverse image search did not yield any results, unfortunately. It resembles the art style of a game which I cannot really pinpoint ...

Iirc, there's no Japanese PC version of Suikoden II, only the Chinese one. It could e that the company who did the PC port (or was it handled by Konami directly?) accidently got these two enemies from another game they were working on into the game, but it's unlikely; from what I've heard, the data structure of the PC version is very similar to the PSX version.

I have to say, the second monster sprite looks Suikoden-y with the art style of the head, but the first one is baffling me, as it also looks into the wrong direction. Also, i don't know if they have animations as well or if these are stand-still images.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Oh, well I found those sprite sheets among my files from PC version and they appear to be static images as there are no other sprites for animation. Though the four-armed womans spear is a seperate sheet for some reason.

There's also this thing in the same general area that I don't recognize along with something that sort of looks like a spiraling galaxy so it might be that this is some unused Blue Gate summon or similair and these 3 are supposed to appear in different spots on the screen which would explain why they're looking in different directions. The other summon spells are mostly static images as well.

Edit: Actually, it looks like mr Red here is supposed to have animated hair, though it looks kind of like monochrome flames or something, it's difficult to parse how the effects are supposed to look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sticky-runes

Re: Unused images

Post by sticky-runes »

as there are no animation sprites, maybe they were intended to be used for a summoning spell, like the blue gate rune?
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

A little bit off topic and in an old topic since I don't think it's worth making a new one:

Anyone knows where the clip of the 'rock' in the game files belongs to? I don't remember it being in game. It's right under MOVIES and under 'rock'; looks like a rock appearing and then dissolving.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

What are you using to play the video file? Could you possibly encode it and put it on YouTube?

Just from your description, it may be related to the rock in Sajah in front of the bonus dungeon. Would be a nice additional trivia piece, if so.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Isn't the file called rock just the rock golem intro?
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I just used jPSXdec and scrolled through the list under 300_MOVI/ under ROCK.STR. Used MJPG to opened it. I'll try to post it on youtube later. For the record, both the ENG and JP version has it.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPycKcK ... e=youtu.be

I thought of it being the Sajah Rock but wanted to make sure of it first. From just how it's animated, it seems like the Bright Shield Rune made it glowed green or something. it's renewing my hope there are a lot more coded to make it happen.

The Golem one is under BOSS1.STR[0]
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Ah, I was looking at the Chinese version's files, where it's a .gp2 .

It doesn't actually resemble the Sajah rock at all, and the extra animation of it popping up is strange too... I don't think they had been successful at FF8-style renders combined with FMVs, so it would have to have been a stand-alone video meant to play at some point, and not part of a spell meant to overlay on a battle. Best I can figure is that it was just a sample/training video somebody made to make sure they could, before working on more advanced stuff.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Texture wise it does fit; It's pointy; looks lower quality compared to the other files. I have some ideas but would need some time to test it out.