Whack a Mole controls not working

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
shu777

Whack a Mole controls not working

Post by shu777 »

Hey guys, this is my first playthrough (this game is easily one of the best I ever played), and I came across this annoyance.
I can't hammer the holes on right side (trng, x and circle don't respond), while the left side works normally. The controls works in game for every other thing. Tried remapping the key buttons on the emulator, but it didn't work. Also tried searching about this issue since it looks like a in-game bug, but couldn't find anything either.
This ain't a problem with the controllers... Has anyone faced this issue?

Begginer Mode http://imgur.com/a/DbZRV

Tltr:
Issue:
-Right side holes can't be smashed even though the controller works fine for every other thing in the game.

What I tried:
-Since I'm playing the patched version, tried doing the minigame on the vanilla version, to no avail.
-Remapping these 3 keys to other buttons on the controller.
-Remapping these 3 keys to the keyboard. (Worked).

Obs:
-Playing the game on ePSXe
-Sorry for my bad england.

Edit: Tried remapping the controls to the keyboard and they seem to be working. Still annoying, but at least I'll be able to play.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Whack a Mole controls not working

Post by Pyriel »

Sounds to me like there's hangup in ePSXe's pad module. I've never heard of anyone having problems with this.
shu777

Post by shu777 »

Could you explain what you mean? Just curious.

It's very strange, never happened before in this game or any other game I've played. These controls worked in every other section of the game normally.

Got the Mole Set already =)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Emulators, even for older systems, can just have weird compatibility issues sometimes. I just tried it with an XBox 360 controller and ePSXe version 2 and it worked fine for me. It could be a combination of something it does and something about the pad you're using. Or just the pad you're using for some reason.

In the weird department, there are games for the NES an SNES that relied on hardware tricks, and to this day they won't work properly in some emulators because accurate emulation is difficult to achieve, and the gains aren't necessarily worth the effort. For instance, I've seen estimates that peg the requirements for 100% accurate SNES emulation to 3 GHz worth of CPU for a start. This is for a machine that had a CPU running at less than 4 MHz. And doing that might mean a few dozen games with esoteric quirks could work better (or period), while every other game runs slowly or requires a beast of a machine.

Or maybe more simply, think of a game like Mike Tyson's Punchout! for the NES. Beating Mike Tyson was always a chore, and setting records in the fight requires a lot of luck plus something like 30 or 40 frame-perfect inputs. If you play it on that Mini NES Classic thing that came out recently, which emulates, and outputs via HDMI, and has to deal with lag introduced by new technology that wasn't present in old tube TVs, just beating Tyson is more difficult. Doing the fight with times near the world record is likely not possible with any consistency.
shu777

Post by shu777 »

Yeah, but in this case you're probably right about it being just the way that game section interacts with the emulator and then my pad especifically (Using a classic PS2 black original controller with a usb adaptor), otherwise it wouldn't have worked with my keyboard. Tried the same with ePSXe 2.0 (was using 1.9) and got the same issue. I'm won't look deeper into this (Trying other emulators, plugins and so on) unless it happens again, because of my laziness, but thanks for your responses.