Kindness Rune Question

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
TheyCallMeStacy

Kindness Rune Question

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

I'm about to do another play through of Suikoden II, but I currently don't have a save so I can't test something out, so I will ask here.

Does anyone know if the kindness value that determines the boost a character will receive from the kindness rune change even if the character doesn't have the kindness rune equipped? For example, I plan on putting the kindness rune on Riou for most of the game, but for some dungeons and bosses I plan on using another weapon rune on him. Will any state stones or time passed without the rune equipped carry over when I re-equip him with the kindness rune? If not, I'll probably just keep it on him the entire game.

If it does, does anyone know if the kindness factor starts building up as soon as a character joins? Since you control Riou, does he get kindness value as soon as you start playing, so he already has points by the time you even get the kindness rune?
Omnigamer

Re: Kindness Rune Question

Post by Omnigamer »

"Kindness" is a hidden statistic for every character that rises independently of them having the rune equipped. You build up kindness on every character currently in your party when the in-game clock hits a 30-minute mark (ie, 0:30, 1:30, 5:30), including characters in convoy. You also gain 1 Kindness point for every stat stone you use on a character. You lose Kindness points if that character is in a KO'd state at the end of a battle. The exception to this is Riou, whose Kindness stat cannot go down. Characters not in your party at those 30-minute marks do not gain any Kindness points.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

In case it's not obvious from the above, accrued points aren't reset when the rune is removed. You can remove the rune, put it back, discard it, stick it in the storehouse, or do any other thing the game will let you get away with. The Kindness Rune never has any effect on how much Kindness a character has. It's just the only way of turning that invisible number into something beneficial.
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Thanks for the responses! Knowing this will really help me out once I finally get to doing my play through. Haha now I won't feel bad about making Riou self-KO with fire lizard rune to level everyone else up =p.