It's a shame we can't recruit Stallion earlier

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
sticky-runes

Re: It's a shame we can't recruit Stallion earlier

Post by sticky-runes »

Nah, miklotov would be understanding. Just say we were saving up money to hire a bodyguard to protect our defenceless women before we were robbed by a batwinged pikey and he'll behead the little cunt himself.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I wish Rina would date Chaco, tease him real hard, never go to first base even after he paid for her dinner five times, make him fall in love with her, keep on denying him, and then finally cheats on him with me and make sure he knows about it.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I wish Rina would date Chaco, tease him real hard, never go to first base even after he paid for her dinner five times, make him fall in love with her, keep on denying him, and then finally cheats on him with me and make sure he knows about it.
A human dating a Winger? And 14 yo?

After all i think Rina likes older guys anyway,like Flik.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Rina flirts with Riou and he's younger than her. I think she mainly flirts with men in a position of authority. The North Sparrow guard was blocking her path, so she seduced him. Tai Ho was about to leave the circus gang behind, so she charmed him into letting them on board. and she put the moves on Flik because having a secondary mercenary leader in the pocket might come in handy later. Not sure if she would stoop to flirting with a winger unless Chaco refused to do something like helping Riou escape from Muse and needed extra persuading, but then Chaco wouldn't turn down the chance to be a mischievous little gobsh!te to anyone.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I was joking, guys.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

oh, so you don't really want Rina to shag you, ok then. Probably for the best.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Sasarai10 wrote:btw Chaco is one of the most annoying characters there. He robbed you,he ate your lunch and he joins your army wether you like it or not. Ah i wish if there was such an option were Sid actually ate Chaco and took over hist star as well....Sid was way cooler.
Chaco is a pubertal troublemaker, but he serves Susu faithfully and he’s willing to defend Two River with his life. His anger for humans and kobolds is understandable, we can’t expect more rationality from a teen. Sid was hiding somewhere in the sewers when the town was attacked, at least he wasn’t fighting for his people apparently. And when they joined our army, Chaco was accomplishing dangerous and important tasks, and taking part in major battles, giving one of our units a unique skill, while Sid was probably hanging out in the castle scaring kids.

People having a political consciousness at that age already isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it can be dangerous if they have wings. Toma in S5 is similar to Chaco in that his anger is understandable and that he wrongly thought you’re the bad one. If he had got wings…
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Wolkendrache wrote:but he serves Susu faithfully
Except when he doesn't. Yes, he (grudgingly) passes on her message to you, but he disobeys her by refusing to return your wallet (and probably by stealing it in the first place) and by "not caring what granny says" when he confronts you afterwards.

And when does he have a problem with kobolds? He calls Ridley "old man" but otherwise I don't think he ever interacts with any.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Kobolds and humans were hating Wingers. Seems like Wingers hated only humans.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Chaco's usefulness in the game is overshadowed by his annoyingness, similar to how Nina's usefulness during Greenhill is overshadowed by her constant craving for Flik's cock. But Nina actually makes me laugh. And she's one of many human characters. Chaco is one of only two winger characters on our tablet of destiny and he's a gobshite.

And Chaco carries on being a gobshite after the war is done. He's not worthy to be compared to Toma, who grows up to train as a Queens Knight.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

wataru14 wrote:
Wolkendrache wrote:but he serves Susu faithfully
Except when he doesn't. Yes, he (grudgingly) passes on her message to you, but he disobeys her by refusing to return your wallet (and probably by stealing it in the first place) and by "not caring what granny says" when he confronts you afterwards.

And when does he have a problem with kobolds? He calls Ridley "old man" but otherwise I don't think he ever interacts with any.
“Not caring what granny says”, except when he does, but in an authentic way, just like a huffy teenage winger is supposed to do. He brings you to Susu, but grudgingly as you say; he returns your wallet, but later than told. That’s as faithful as it can get for a teenage brat from the winger district, or better, as it SHOULD get to keep his authenticity. Btw, there’s not a penny missing when he returns your wallet.

Perhaps this is just my interpretation of the plot, but I believe Chaco was angry about humans and kobolds because while Two River was besieged, they didn’t forge a 3-district-alliance at once. Instead, humans and kobolds were conferring with each other while the district with the wisest leader was completely ignored. All the while ambassadors are sent through the winger district, just walking past Susu’s door. So how would a teenage winger attract attention?

The designers gave Chaco 2 traits to represent: 1. Being a common winger under the above mentioned circumstances; 2. Being a teenage rascal. I believe the designers felt that both traits would fit to each other, and the end product was Chaco. Needless to say, this didn’t really help Chaco to be liked by players. I dislike Chaco and Nina for their personality, but I love them for their authenticity and individuality. I can also understand players who sooner or later get sick of Gremio, Nanami, Chiepoo, Miakis, Lyon and so on, but I would never replace these with Humphreys (regarding personality). Better a little annoyed than extremely bored.

I personally prefer fleshed-out authentic characters, even if they have an annoying personality (e.g. Nina and Chaco), over ridiculous characters. The latter would be Sid: he’s a psychopath, and his raison d’etre is scaring others. The difference between Nina and Chaco is that the latter is a stand-alone character while Nina’s character mainly serves to develop Flik’s background imo.

I know you guys will never stop hating Chaco, so what about the following alternative Two River plot: A young winger greets you respectfully and tells you their bridge to the kobold district is damaged, so you need to take the sewer path. He leads you through the sewer system (active party or convoy), and wishes you farewell. The other parts of the Two River plot would be adjusted of course. Well, it’s ok, but I personally feel like I’ve met enough of these kinds of characters.
sticky-runes wrote:And Chaco carries on being a gobshite after the war is done. He's not worthy to be compared to Toma, who grows up to train as a Queens Knight.
He just continues being a teenage-civilian. I would advise this to any teenager who temporarily served the military for whatever reason, instead of skipping his youth to become a professional soldier at 16.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I don't get it. You're saying that it's understandable to dislike him because he was authentically constructed to be a disagreeable character; we should like that he's an annoying brat because it's better for the narrative than if he'd been realized as a tree stump; but at the same time it seems like you think the latter should cancel out the former, and he should be loved in spite of his flaws.

I agree the Two River sequence is better as it is than if Chaco had shown up to say, "welcome, oh chosen one. Allow me to lead you to the wise elder who can help you in your quest." He's still written as a little dipshit you'd love to belt, though. If that's what Konami was going for, bravo, they've succeeded marvelously, and appreciating that success doesn't change how I feel about the character within the story.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

No, you pretty much got it. Except that I didn’t say HE (his character including his personality) should be loved for his authentic and individualistic construction, but simply that the game is interesting because of constructions like this… in my opinion. Others sound to me like the game is getting worse because of such a construction. But maybe I’m misinterpreting there.

As for his character, I’m annoyed, but not full of hate, and I know I’m alone here. Of course I was pissed when he stole my money and ate my meal, but not too seriously. It’s not that I’ve come to a new location unprepared; it’s not that I didn’t see it coming I’d get it back soon; it’s not that I didn’t just make tons of money in the sewers to just buy a new meal. Still, I’m annoyed because he chose the wrong person to annoy, and I wouldn’t want someone like this around me in real life. But on the other hand I can understand his frustration and his behavior (he’s a teenager) and I just can’t hate him after he said he loves Two River while defending it with his life, and then after proving useful under my command.

Seems we do agree that fleshed-out and individualistic authentic constructions benefit the game, and diverse flaws in personality add to the aspect of individuality. We disagree a little regarding Chaco's personality, initiated by different interpretations and analyses, resulting in different emotions, resulting in different opinions. (I'm interested in you guys' interpretations, less in your emotions and judgements, even though they're damn funny sometimes.)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Chaco's usefulness in the game is overshadowed by his annoyingness, similar to how Nina's usefulness during Greenhill is overshadowed by her constant craving for Flik's cock. But Nina actually makes me laugh. And she's one of many human characters. Chaco is one of only two winger characters on our tablet of destiny and he's a gobshite.

And Chaco carries on being a gobshite after the war is done. He's not worthy to be compared to Toma, who grows up to train as a Queens Knight.
Sid is the sh*t actually. He should be the one involved in the main plot instead of Chaco. He could be more useful after all.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Wolkendrache wrote: I can understand his frustration and his behavior (he’s a teenager)
I was a teenager too and I never robbed anyone. And it's not like he uses your money to help homeless children. Or to feed his starving family. He basically does it for shits and giggles.

That is pretty much my problem with Chaco. I don't care that he has issues with humans. They're pretty justified and I can't hold that against him. I don't care that he has a bratty personality. I care that he apparently steals from everyone as a means of recreation. Thanks for rallying the troops, kid. I'll see you in 3 to 5 when you get out of Soniere.