How to get clive and advance his storyline through save game file

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
noplace

How to get clive and advance his storyline through save game file

Post by noplace »

Hi All,

I created an account just to share this information with all of you, I'm playing suikoden 2 on my phone and noticed that I missed recruiting Clive since I never triggered the first event in Muse, the first thing I did was to edit my save game as per the hack guide and enable recuirtment of Clive, after that I got him but still the events wouldn't trigger no matter what.
I did an extensive search and haven't found the solution so I did a small research and test by getting a game save online which was just before one of his events, loaded that and did his event real quick then saved again.

what I did is then take both save game copies ( before and after his event ) and compared the hex values of the mcd file.

it was confusing at first since around 10 bytes changed in different locations but I noticed one which made sense:
Location 0x12107 in the MCD file, or more precisely the second memory card block of the suikoden save you have

I assume you are using PSXGE for this edit: (more info for hacking suikoden's memcard file http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198844-suikoden-ii/faqs/7234 )

for example if you edit your suikoden save it would have address from 0000 - 1FFF for first block and then again for second block.
all you have to do is go to second block and reach location 0107 and change the value.

If you have never found him it would be 0, to trigger event in lakewest change value to 3, to trigger the event in forest village change to 7 and so on.

how it works:

the game checks the event based on bit flags. the way they arranged it (based on my observation )

8 bit value : 0000000

00000000 = 0 means still no event triggered
00000001 = 1 encounter in muse done
00000011 = 3 encounter in south window done and recruited( that was value I needed )
00000111 = 7 encounter in lakewest done
00001111 = F encounter in forst village done
00011111 = 1F encounter in matilda done

you get the picture.

in my case I had to do do it two times because after doing forest village I realized I cant go to matilda, so I again modifed to 1F to skip that and went ahead and it triggered radat event for me.

thanks for reading, I'm around 16 years late but recently started playing the game on my android phone and enjoying it again! and didnt want to restart just because I missed him haha

thanks!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: How to get clive and advance his storyline through save game file

Post by Pyriel »

Useful. Thanks.

If it's anything like Suikoden, time is stored as a frame count, and it's one of the first bits of data in each save block for some reason. If it took you more than about 4 seconds to do the events and set the flag, that covers at least 4 bytes of change. If you save in a different slot the identifier changes, and if you used a different inn or crystal, that probably accounts for everything else.

Just to be clear, "location 0x12107 in the MCD file..." will not always hold true. The actual location in a memory card image file will change depending on the save slot. It looks like PSXGE presents the entirety of a block to you (including the header and any icon data it contains), so that 0x0107 offset into the second block (0x2107 into the save) should generally work for everybody.
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Ah, you found the switches for that event. Nice. I've had to do that on quite a number of games :(

Since you seem capable, I'll give you a little hint in case you're not aware.

Flags or switches like the ones you found should actually be viewed as individual like so:

0000 0001 = 1 encounter in muse done
0000 0010 = 2 encounter in south window
0000 0100 = 4 encounter in lakewest
0000 1000 = 8 encounter in matilda

When you find more of these flags, it's important to note that 1,2,4, and 8 all mean one thing. Values like 3 just mean 1 and 2 are both ON. It will be important to know if you ever have to edit some flags and you're only looking for one particular flag. You don't want to turn on more flags than you need to. Didn't matter in Clive's case of course.

For instance treasures found are usually flags like that all lumped together. I bet you already knew all this but maybe someone else reading can learn something.

I've had to discover flags the hard way after an emulator glitched and prevented me from completing a game. I walk into town and an event is suppose to fire but never did. So to find whether a flag incorrectly got set or didn't get set, I would clear out a large block of flags (or turn the to FF) and see if the event fires.
When it did, I load the save and start clearing out one row at a time through process of elimination.
After that, one byte at a time. But one byte is 8 flags, so then it's F0 or 0F....which side is the flag on. Then 01, 02, 04, 08 or 10, 20, 40, 80 to find the right flag. And bam, I was on my way again.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

cool, do you know the code to use to setup or reset the final encounter in Sajah? it would be really nice to fix up my save file where i accidentally stepped in Sajah past the 20 hour deadline and ruined my Clive Quest!
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Holy crap, I did not see this post almost a year ago :( I better find the notifications thing and fix it because I don't think I got that email!

Funny enough, I JUST did that encounter yesterday. I think I still have the original save from my memory card before I did the event so I believe I can figure that out. Problem is I won't be home to try it for a while, but it's on my to-do list! Y'know... a year too late :( sorry
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

KFCrispy wrote:cool, do you know the code to use to setup or reset the final encounter in Sajah? it would be really nice to fix up my save file where i accidentally stepped in Sajah past the 20 hour deadline and ruined my Clive Quest!
Well I had a quick moment home before I had to rush off and I found it. I just tested it with these values in memory.

For Sajah village, they must be:
8006AF30 = 1A
8006AF35 = 7F

And they turn into (quest complete) by both setting the 0x80 flag:
8006AF30 = 9A
8006AF35 = FF

I set mine back to 0x1A and 0x7F to see the cutscene again :) Both flags MUST be set correctly or the scene will not trigger.

The first byte (6AF30) is a flag for if you've reached the checkpoint, while the second (6AF35) is for if you've SEEN the event. Therefore, if you went to Sajah village too late, your values will change from...

8006AF30 = 1A
8006AF35 = 7F

To...

8006AF30 = 9A <--- (now flagged that you messed your chance)
8006AF35 = 7F <---- (still showing that you saw all events but this one)

Noplace was right, the same flags are stored in the save at 0x2107 (or 0x107 from the second block), and the second one is at 0x2102 (5 bytes before the first one).
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Well, I was fooling around with the possibility to view the scenes over again on a save that has already seen them and I figured out a couple more of the events.

I was hoping it was well programmed and only those two flags were important to Clive's quest, but that's not the case.

8006AF12
01 = Rockaxe event; this is flagged after seeing the event in the inn, so if you want to see this quest, you must also take of the 0x01 flag

8006AF13
02 = Meet Elza in Muse's dark tunnel
04 = Elza gives you two packages
08 = Run into Clive at Muse after seeing Elza

8006AF30
10 = Forest Village, Clive asked you to come with; Found out that this flag is just the small entrance scene where Clive asks you to come along.

8006AF35
01 = Muse, Elza catches you on way out. *Must change before loading muse outside so game loads Elza by exit
02 = South Window
04 = Lakewest
08 = Forest Village
10 = Rockaxe
20 = Radat

8006AF75
04 = Radat shooting done; This flag must be removed if you want to see the gun fight in the Radat pub between Elza and Clive.

There are more flags to be found for the Muse events. I should just go through the game again or find saves to figure it out : /
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Thanks Metsu! if i can ever pull the game and system out from the dust, i'll try it :)