Leveling up Killey

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
FinalFLuver

Leveling up Killey

Post by FinalFLuver »

Suikosource website says that Killey is a rank B for Defense, but i just leveled him up from level 40-41 and he is only going up +1 DEF??

based on the info on suikosource, he should have a 90% chance to go up +2 DEF on that level up, however he is ALWAYS going up by +1. I've tried it countless times now using my savestate to reload just prior to killing the last enemy in the battle in which he levels up, but it never changes, it is always +1 DESPITE the other stat increments actually varying (i.e. they are not fixed).

so is he actually a B or is that an error in the guide? I mean, 90% for a +2 DEF increase at that level and yet i've tried countless times, getting a +1 DEF everytime (only 10% chance of that occurring)

NOTE: he is equipped with a warrior rune, but i'm pretty sure it doesnt affect my DEF Growth upon leveling right?
Antimatzist

Re: Leveling up Killey

Post by Antimatzist »

Reloading won't work, this is dictated by RNG. The outcome of that battle will always be the same. I don't know how you could reset the RNG in battle, but try different actions in battle. This is what I found on RNG in Suikoden II and I have no idea what it means.
Suikoden II advances its RNG only when called for some periods of time before shifting to a per-frame version after timed "grace periods" have elapsed.
FinalFLuver

Post by FinalFLuver »

reloading DOES work, cause i already mentioned in my first post that the other stats were varying (based on the range they can increase) and the only one that wasnt changing was the DEF

also, i'm not sure if its a glitch or not, but i do the same thing in order to get drops from an enemy. I place the cursor on "auto" (in battle), then I save the state, press X and the battle automatically takes place. After killing all the enemies (i.e. on the first turn) i get the post battle screens and if i dont get a drop, then i just reload the save state and press x again (not moving or doing anything different) ................ until eventually i get a drop.

i've been doing this the entire game to get the rare drops and such, and never once have i had to alter my actions in order to mess with the RNG.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sorry, didn't read that part.

First, it could really be just bad luck. The 90% are based on ninjaluc's experience, it's afaik not something drawn from the code of the game. How were your stat gains the level before that? Always 2? Even with other stat growths, you should eventually get a 2.

Try unequipping the Warrior Rune, maybe it really messes up the Level Up screen. I don't really remember, but the effect of the Warrior Rune is visible in the stat screen, right?
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

The quote above was from something I mentioned before, but specifically only applies to random encounters on the map. Battle RNG only advances when called. My guess is that you have a limited number of calls no matter which way you perform the battle; even though you're seeing other stats go up by different amounts, I bet that there are only 2-3 different sets of bonuses that occur. So yes, you chose an unlucky state to start from. I would recommend just using a different battle for it. Otherwise, you can try defending and let the enemy cycle the RNG a bit more.
FinalFLuver

Post by FinalFLuver »

Antimatzist wrote:Sorry, didn't read that part.

First, it could really be just bad luck. The 90% are based on ninjaluc's experience, it's afaik not something drawn from the code of the game. How were your stat gains the level before that? Always 2? Even with other stat growths, you should eventually get a 2.

Try unequipping the Warrior Rune, maybe it really messes up the Level Up screen. I don't really remember, but the effect of the Warrior Rune is visible in the stat screen, right?

i never paid attention to his previous levels (38-40) only level 40->41, but i'll mess around with it. And yes, the effects of the warrior rune is displayed in the menu screen [-50% Prot and STR + (Prot/4)] but if removing the warrior rune fixes it, then that would be a significant glitch since that would me the warrior rune is actually halving the defense growth rate.

also i already obtained window set #2 and gave it to the guy at HQ, but i just went back to get Georg and ended up getting another Window Set #2?? I always assumed that these "type" of items could only be dropped once (provided you dont sell them, discard them, etc), is this a glitch or normal?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's a glitch. The game is all over the place with collectibles. For window sets, you hand them in, and it sets a flag, but the battle logic checks a completely different value. It's hit or miss whether it will allow you to get multiple copies, or if it will block you from getting them at all.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

i never paid attention to his previous levels (38-40) only level 40->41, but i'll mess around with it. And yes, the effects of the warrior rune is displayed in the menu screen [-50% Prot and STR + (Prot/4)] but if removing the warrior rune fixes it, then that would be a significant glitch since that would me the warrior rune is actually halving the defense growth rate.
How much does his Strength increase? Is it in order with his stat growth or also different?
FinalFLuver

Post by FinalFLuver »

Antimatzist wrote:
How much does his Strength increase? Is it in order with his stat growth or also different?
for that level is was varying between 1 and 2, his speed was also between 1 and 2, but was consistently landing on +2