Fire Spears damage chance?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
DanaCrysalis

Fire Spears damage chance?

Post by DanaCrysalis »

I've been looking around the internet for any info on this, and no one seems to know, so I figured I'd make a post here. What's the percent chance that Fire Spears do damage to a unit in war battles? Is it affected by attack power, or is it completely chance-based? Come to think of it, same question for the rune magics (Wind, Lightning, Fire)
sporefrog

Re: Fire Spears damage chance?

Post by sporefrog »

I started a new playthrough and I am at the war battle,where I can recruit gilbert.I had to try it 8(!) times,before the spear damaged gilberts unit.after the battle,I saved and retried it just to see,what happens.another 5 tries later,the spear worked.I tried it again,and it doesnt worked,another 3 tries later,success again...
I think,its totally random...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

It depends on your attack rate,and enemy's defense rate obviously.

For example if you have 10 attack rate and your enemy has 7 defense rate,you have much more possibilities for damaging that unit,instead of another one who has 12 defense rate.

Add Emilia along with Tsai,to one of your units,to check the possibilities of damaging one enemy unit. I guess that Fire Spears cause similar damage as a regular attack,but they can cause damage to a column,not only to a single enemy.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

I feel like the damage rate for Fire Spears is not related to the attack power of your unit or the defense of the enemy. For example, in the Kiba battle Fire spears have a much higher chance of doing damage to Kiba (16 Def) than regular attacks from the same group in my experience. It's still less often than other enemies, but it occurs at a greater rate than the 5% chance that the stats otherwise indicate.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

It's impossible to conclude from observing S2 war battle, you guys must be aware of crazy random range in the normal %damage formula, right?
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

As quoted in the other thread, the chance of inflicting damage is if a random number in the range of [0 19] is less than or equal to (Attack + 4) - Defense. In this way, your units always have at least a 5% chance to do damage (rolling a 0), but the odds tend to favor the defender as stats scale up.

Out of 10 uses of the Fire Spears against Kiba, I wage that 3-4 of them will connect (with 8 Attack) which is well above the rate that it should be able to injure him if it uses the standard formula. I can try this later and report some empirical evidence.