Speed Run questions

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Speed Run questions

Post by Sasarai10 »

DrDoobie wrote:But that makes the Pilika trigger take forever since you wouldn't recruit Shiro, Kinnison, Millie, and Zamsa right?

I'd like to have an answer about this...i saw a video in youtube a while ago,where the only party member except the trio,in Sindar Ruins,was GenGen. But that was the Jap. version.

In my own PAL version i need to have 2 or 3 sometimes,optional recruits in order to trigger this scene,so i'd like to have an answer how to trigger Pilika's scene without recruiting anybody else.
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

Sasarai10 wrote:
DrDoobie wrote:But that makes the Pilika trigger take forever since you wouldn't recruit Shiro, Kinnison, Millie, and Zamsa right?

I'd like to have an answer about this...i saw a video in youtube a while ago,where the only party member except the trio,in Sindar Ruins,was GenGen. But that was the Jap. version.

In my own PAL version i need to have 2 or 3 sometimes,optional recruits in order to trigger this scene,so i'd like to have an answer how to trigger Pilika's scene without recruiting anybody else.
Wait five hours I believe.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198844-/63954161
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

DrDoobie wrote:Wait five hours I believe.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/198844-/63954161

Uh...what can i say? If it's true,then it destroys the "speed-run version" of this game...

Damn...anyway let's take out 4 hrs or so from total time and there you have the speed-run game. :mrgreen:
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, accoridng to someone in the boards, you could trigger Pilika without recruits, but need to wait some hours. So recruiting is a must here (I'd go with Zamza, Shiro and Kinnison btw, and recruit Mukumuku before. I think you need a minimum amount of recruits in order to trigger it non-time-based)

Now that you mention it - recruiting Stallion might be a pain. u need to run away 50 times. Does "Let Go" count, too? (It says yes on the page, but I remember having problems with Letting Go and recruiting Stallion. Might be wrong memory, too). Anyway, do you think you'll need to run that much on the world map in order that it'll help you? Hm, of course the 100% Escape feature is pretty neat, too, in order to minimize time spent in dungeons.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I'd guess that if you use the Matilda Glitch, and let everything go from that point on, you'd have more than enough. The "Let Go" option does work.
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

Antimatzist wrote:Anyway, do you think you'll need to run that much on the world map in order that it'll help you?
Thats what testing, planning and routing will tell us
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

You can Let Go a non-trivial number of enemies for the small amount of time when returning from Kyaro with Flik and Viktor in your party as well. Depends on how long it takes to farm up a double-beat.

Sasarai, I think that there are very few people that would follow on your philosophy with speedrunning. As an example, consider Super Metroid. The record runs in the primary category (any%) finishes the game in roughly 46.5 minutes and collects 21% of items. However, the low% category collects only 14% of items and is more than 5 minutes slower. I see no reason to force a run to be slower just to accomplish an arbitrary goal of "skipping as much as possible". If it is overall faster to get something, you get it. If you want to enforce arbitrary restrictions, then make it a different category. Most people will still be most excited for whichever one finishes the game fastest.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

My personal record was 12:49 after beating Beast Rune
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Biggest tip for random encounters is to stick high level characters in your party, that way you can just insta-let go everytime.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Just a heads-up that I completed a pseudo-single-segment run last night with a final time of 7:16. Still some rough parts, but for the most part a decent test run. It's pseudo because the game softlocked during the battle with Luca and I had to reload a safety save; real-time was around 7:34 going into the Stars of Destiny sequence. I can reasonably see 30 minutes coming off of it, but more than that is difficult to say without new skips.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Omnigamer wrote:Just a heads-up that I completed a pseudo-single-segment run last night with a final time of 7:16. Still some rough parts, but for the most part a decent test run. It's pseudo because the game softlocked during the battle with Luca and I had to reload a safety save; real-time was around 7:34 going into the Stars of Destiny sequence. I can reasonably see 30 minutes coming off of it, but more than that is difficult to say without new skips.

That was really impressive!!! If you wanted to go for Clive's quest,along with 108 SoD ending,then you could finish it,within 10 hrs and some mins i suppose.

Do you have any vid,of your achievement?
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

You can find the recording here. I'm working on revising parts of the route, but I don't plan to do another full run until until 2 weeks from now.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

I cut it to about 6:57 game time, 7:05 real time. Soooo much bad luck and mistakes on my part. A good run can shave off at least another 20 minutes. I'll try to do a new run each weekend, when possible.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

I just knocked it down to 6:46:37 real time, 6:36:xx game time. There's still about 10 minutes to knock off; I'd like to see it get under 6:40 real-time and then I will be satisfied with it.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Just as a heads-up, I will be playing through the JP version this weekend (assuming my JP PS1 arrives on time). The goal will be to look for differences as far as text, events, and possibly investigate some other glitches. Having the full music isn't a bad thing either :)