Speed Run questions

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Speed Run questions

Post by Sasarai10 »

Pyriel wrote:Yeah, I was being philosophical about it. Your method sounds like pumping yourself full of steroids during pre-fight training. Yes, you technically won, but nobody who cares to keep track of your wins and losses will record it that way.

So what? :roll:

Speed-run,is like "time attack" from racing games,if you're familiar with. This is a type of shortcut...like in racing games there are some shortcuts were you can finish the lap much quicker,yet it's considered "illegal",S2 offers this level-up trick.

For God's sake....you won't get arrested if you use this trick,it's not illegal by the law. :|
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I don't know. I think your weak link is assuming that I give a damn beyond being curious. For all it matters to me, somebody could beat the game over the course of six months, playing 8 hours a day, and then edit the save file so it says 02:30 when you look at it. I just wondered if your little scheme would be acceptable to DrDoobie, or to speed-runners in general. The response you quoted was me trying to clarify, after you seemed to be under the mistaken impression that I was wondering if your scheme was technically feasible.
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

If it can be repeated on multiple copies of just the game disk then it is part of the game and is fair game. Glitchless would be another category of the speed run. Off the top of my head there can be 6 different categories, any%, all characters, and 100%. from there they can glitched or glitchless and each one would have multiple strats. Suikoden 2 is virtually untouched gold for JRPG speed running in a single segment if you ask me.
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

Pyriel wrote:I don't know. I think your weak link is assuming that I give a damn beyond being curious. For all it matters to me, somebody could beat the game over the course of six months, playing 8 hours a day, and then edit the save file so it says 02:30 when you look at it. I just wondered if your little scheme would be acceptable to DrDoobie, or to speed-runners in general. The response you quoted was me trying to clarify, after you seemed to be under the mistaken impression that I was wondering if your scheme was technically feasible.
For speed running purposes it is from new game or new game+ until end of game. If you went all the way to L'Ren, died and did it from the beggining maxed out, time on save file makes no difference to the actual time of the run. All that time spent getting to L'Ren counts so as a speed running idea its extremely useless since you have to do everything all over again and the time hasn't stopped since you started the run.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I think a real 100% Speedrun is not possible/fun, depending on your definition of 100%, e.g. getting all of Richmonds investigations would ruin the purpose of the speedrun. Of course, you could limit the 100% definition to 108 characters, cook-off completed, clive's quest and... that's it I'd guess?
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

Antimatzist wrote:I think a real 100% Speedrun is not possible/fun, depending on your definition of 100%, e.g. getting all of Richmonds investigations would ruin the purpose of the speedrun. Of course, you could limit the 100% definition to 108 characters, cook-off completed, clive's quest and... that's it I'd guess?
100% category would just be Best Ending
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

Just saw this. Could be useful. Omni found it on youtube earlier this evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFvNk13 ... r_embedded#!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:I think a real 100% Speedrun is not possible/fun, depending on your definition of 100%, e.g. getting all of Richmonds investigations would ruin the purpose of the speedrun. Of course, you could limit the 100% definition to 108 characters, cook-off completed, clive's quest and... that's it I'd guess?

Well "100%" in Suikodens means get the good ending (beat the game with all 108 stars alive)...all the others are optional. Yet you can finish Clive's quest with 108 stars (i've done it within 12 hrs and some mins)...so that means you've got a good amount of time left,to do cook-offs.

Richmond's investigations,are technically impossible to be done,within 20 hrs...but if you really want a perfect-perfect game....just do them!

DrDoobie wrote: For speed running purposes it is from new game or new game+ until end of game. If you went all the way to L'Ren, died and did it from the beggining maxed out, time on save file makes no difference to the actual time of the run. All that time spent getting to L'Ren counts so as a speed running idea its extremely useless since you have to do everything all over again and the time hasn't stopped since you started the run.

With the same logic,new game+ could be considered "cheating" since you gain extra speed,you have more money and items,and it's generally an easier version of the original game :wink:
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I think he meant those are classified as different categories. There'd be a "100% New Game" category, and a "100% New Game+" category, if people were interested in doing the runs, but they wouldn't be competing against each other.
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

Uhh why everyone not mention this, bring Stallion = 100% escape battle. That's what I'm doing on some sections on CPG..
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

veeshadow wrote:Uhh why everyone not mention this, bring Stallion = 100% escape battle. That's what I'm doing on some sections on CPG..
If you abuse Matilda Gate then you can Let Go every battle you dont have to fight. Stallion is a must for his world map ability though
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

DrDoobie wrote:If you abuse Matilda Gate then you can Let Go every battle you dont have to fight. Stallion is a must for his world map ability though

Yes,but once you get Viki and Blinking Mirror,then Stallion turns to be useless.

But if what veeshadow,says is true,then use him in your party constantly. He is mediocre though,but S2 is an easy game,so you can pull it off. :wink:

edit: But wait,Stallion is an OPTIONAL,as Viki is. This guy wants a speed-run version of this game,which means NO optional characters. So no,do not mention it.

If we were in S1,then yes Stallion IS a must party member,but in S2 he is an optional,which means he couldn't be used in a speed-run. For me,using optional characters,is cheating,unless you have to recruit a minimum number of recruits,in order to proceed.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

There's no rule that says you're not allowed to pick up optional characters. The end goal is all that matters; if the time required to pick him up is less than the time benefit he provides, then it's all worth it and fair game. There's a separate category (low %) that you wouldn't pick him up in, but we can worry about that one after we have the main routes determined.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Omnigamer wrote:There's no rule that says you're not allowed to pick up optional characters. The end goal is all that matters; if the time required to pick him up is less than the time benefit he provides, then it's all worth it and fair game. There's a separate category (low %) that you wouldn't pick him up in, but we can worry about that one after we have the main routes determined.

For me it is...to tell the truth.

When i rush the game,i don't want to pick up any optional characters...as i don't open up any treasure boxes...i don't like making exceptions and things like these...it's everything or nothing you know.
DrDoobie

Post by DrDoobie »

Sasarai10 wrote:
Omnigamer wrote:There's no rule that says you're not allowed to pick up optional characters. The end goal is all that matters; if the time required to pick him up is less than the time benefit he provides, then it's all worth it and fair game. There's a separate category (low %) that you wouldn't pick him up in, but we can worry about that one after we have the main routes determined.

For me it is...to tell the truth.

When i rush the game,i don't want to pick up any optional characters...as i don't open up any treasure boxes...i don't like making exceptions and things like these...it's everything or nothing you know.
But that makes the Pilika trigger take forever since you wouldn't recruit Shiro, Kinnison, Millie, and Zamsa right?