Rikimaru Glitch?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Rikimaru Glitch?

Post by wataru14 »

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I never recruited Rikimaru in Coronet before so I wanted to see what happened. I left the White Deer Inn and headed down to Coronet before I went to the gates of Muse with the entry permit. He was right there on the ground. I recruited him normally, then went to Muse. After all the plot scenes, I went to Leona and added him to my party and he was Level 1. He joins in Ryube at Level 8. I've heard of Chaco joining at Level 1 but not Rikimaru.

I'm thinking this might have happened because I got him at a point where the game doesn't expect you being able to recruit anyone. I have a save game in the Sindar Ruins, so I'm thinking of waiting until Jess sends me to the Highland Camp to get him.

For people who have recruited him in Coronet, when do you normally do it? Does he appear after Highland occupies the city?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Rikimaru Glitch?

Post by Pyriel »

You recruited him in Muse? I've never heard of that. Every town and world map zone has its own module or several, and that's where the scripts are. They have to get it right in three places, if he can be recruited in Ryube, Coronet, or Muse, and given their lack of quality assurance, it wouldn't shock me if they missed one. A glitch really can't cause him to be there. The sprites have to be in the file because characters not in the active party aren't loaded, unless they're necessary to the area you're in, and a script to recruit him would have to be in the module. It's possible that a glitch caused the script to run, when Konami intended to make it dead code, but they would have had to intend for him to be there...or they copied and pasted from Coronet, and just left that data in the file.

If you can provide a save file, or an emulator save state, please do. I'd like to see this for myself.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I think I described the order of events badly. I didn't recruit Rikimaru in Muse, I recruited him in Coronet. I just headed down there and recruited him before going into Muse City after completing the White Deer Inn/Sindar Ruins quest. After getting him, I went to Muse. I used Alex's entry permit, got thrown in jail, got let out, and saw Annabelle. Then I got the mission assignment from Jess. Before leaving town to go to the Highland Camp, I checked with Leona and Rikimaru was Level 1.

I then reloaded my save and just went directly to Muse. This time, I waited until after getting the mission from Jess, and then went to Coronet and recruited Rikimaru. Still level 1.

Right now I am doing the military battle outside Muse. I plan on recruiting him after Muse falls and then sharking him into my active party so I can check his level.

Based on what you were saying, Pyriel, I guess the game module doesn't expect you to get him at those times and didn't program a level modifier for him. It probably considers after Muse falls to be the "official" time to recruit him in Coronet and didn't think people would explore nearby towns instead of following the plot guides.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, if it's Coronet, that's a known place and time he can be recruited. So all the scripts and such belong there, and no odd error could be responsible for him simply showing up. Him getting set to level 1 is probably Konami forgetting to do a Set Character Level, like they did with Chaco. I'm surprised nobody ever mentioned it before, but he's so easy to recruit in Ryube, and the game almost forces you to do it just to start the Pilika events.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I picked him up last night in Coronet after Muse falls to Highland and before I talked to Tai Ho. Problem is, I have no way of adding him to my party right now to check his level. I have to wait until I get my castle HQ and Leona comes back. I'll figure that out tonight.
Royi

Post by Royi »

Odd curiousness, how do you get Chaco at level 1 only?
The answer is 42
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Just wanted to confirm this bug. It is at least accessible up until going into the Muse-Highland Border. Another level 1 character to play around with...