Wizard/Barrier Magic Repel Build

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
ninjaluc79

Wizard/Barrier Magic Repel Build

Post by ninjaluc79 »

As the title says, has anyone tried this? I would like to try this with Luc, but I want to know if there are other three-slotted mages I can use this setup for.

I'm thinking of Wizard + Barrier + Robe of Mist + Cyclone Rune on weapon. I've read before that somebody got over 50% Magic Repel with McDohl using this setup. So far, I was able to reach 56% with Luc using that setup plus a Magic Ring. I'm not sure if it's possible to reach 60% Magic Repel yet.

So what's anyone's thoughts about this?
Last edited by ninjaluc79 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Wizard/Barrier Magic Repel Build

Post by Celes »

In order to build Magic Repel you have 3 options:
1. Build Magic Repel directly
2. Transform MAGIC into Magic Repel by using the Barrier Rune (10 MAGIC = 1 Magic Repel)
3. Transform M DEF into Magic Repel by using the Wizard Rune + Barrier Rune (4 DEF = 1 MAGIC / 40 M DEF = 1 Magic Repel)
All values will be rounded down.

So lets pretend you have 255 MAGIC and 255 M DEF.
Wizard Rune + 63 MAGIC so you have 318 MAGIC.
Barrier Rune + 31 Magic Repel.

Robe of Mist + 10 Magic Repel

Mole Shield + 5 Magic Repel

3x Water Amulet + 15 Magic Repel

Cyclone Rune on Weapon + 15 Magic Repel

= 76 Magic Repel

This would technically be the max. However, you need:
  • 2 free rune slots
  • free weapon rune slot
  • vest/robe user
  • shield user
  • 3 free accessory slots
There is no one who can equip shields and robe/vests, so you have to have to pass on the Mole Shield - 5 Magic Repel

Considering the other requirements, the following chars remain:
Chaco, Eilie, Gantetsu, Milie, Nanami, Nina, Rina, Sid, Yoshino

These chars can get
71 Magic Repel

Note that you have to use the stat stone trick in order to bring M DEF to 255 (except for Mazus, who is not on the list).
However, due to the integer divisions done by the game, 310 MAGIC (respectively 255 MAGIC + 220 M DEF) is enough.

So without using the stat stone trick, these characters can get 71 Magic Repel by legal means:

Chaco, Milie, Nina, Rina
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Hmm... Okay, Chaco. 105 MAG and 160 MDEF @ level 60.

Wizard + Barrier = (105 + 160 / 4) / 10 = 14
Robe of Mist + 3x Water Amulet = 14 + 10 + 15 = 39
Cyclone Rune on Weapon = 39 + 15 = 54 Magic Repel

Same with the others. I'll just add 40.

Millie = (125 + 160 / 4) / 10 + 40 = 56 Magic Repel
Nina = (145 + 160 / 4) / 10 + 40 = 58 Magic Repel
Rina = (160 + 160 / 4) / 10 + 40 = 60 Magic Repel
Luc = (200 + 180 / 4) / 10 + 35 (-5 due to his perma Speed Ring) = 59 Magic Repel

Rina is the winner with max Magic Repel rate of 60% at level 60. Hmm... Add the fact that she's actually one of the best Water users in the game, she's pretty much the perfect healer with that setup, bar of course Riou (Battle Oath beats out pretty much every healing spell with its additional Berserk effect for the fighters). Definitely should try this one.

But we have already established that the maximum possible Magic Repel is 71%.

Thanks for the help, Celes. ^_^
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Glad to be of help.

You have to do the calculations gradually and do the rounding every step.

For example:
160/4=40
round down to 40
40+125=165
165/10=16,5
round down to 16

Yet it doesn't matter for your numbers. I guess you already included that fact for the M DEF values. Just saying in case someone wants to recompute.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Celes wrote:Glad to be of help.

You have to do the calculations gradually and do the rounding every step.

For example:
160/4=40
round down to 40
40+125=165
165/10=16.5
round down to 16

Yet it doesn't matter for your numbers. I guess you already included that fact for the M DEF values. Just saying in case someone wants to recompute.
Fixed.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Update:

- Turns out you really don't need *Wizard to build Magic Repel, as the magic repel bonus from *Wizard is so low (~4% @ level 60 for Luc, Rina, and Chaco) it's not even worth the rune slot to add magic repel when you can actually use it to cast spells from their respective elemental affinities (in the case of Luc and Rina) or stick more damage-enhancing passive runes (in the case of Chaco). A magic repel rate of ~50% is usually good enough to block a lot of magic, and it's easily achievable even without *Wizard anyways.

- From my recent experiments, Barrier + Wizard sucked hard for both Luc and Rina as they can only cast spells from only one rune. Especially for Rina because she only has a B affinity to Water and C to everything else. She can definitely make use of her okay affinity with Blue Gate, but the fact that the BG's level 4 spell also hurts allies makes it very much of a double-edged sword as she would then deal 90 * 1.2 = 108 base neutral damage to all allies, and that's not including her boosted MAG from *Wizard and her own lowered MDEF. So she needs some other rune to make use of her Level 4 MP without having to harm allies. She may use any elemental rune other than *Water and still make use of her high Water affinity with Pale Palace (BG level 3 spell) but you lose out on healing, which you can always leave to Riou or anyone else with a higher affinity to Water anyway.

- An even bigger problem happened with Luc. With only *Blue Gate, his 3 level 4 MP @ level 60 will go to waste because he is by and far the most powerful mage in the game with the highest affinity to Water perfectly capable of dealing upwards of 300 damage with Empty World to all allies. Holy crap. With only *Cyclone or *Wind, he cannot use his high MP to its full potential as the Wind elemental runes are laced with rather useless utility spells.

- Level 1 Wind is a fairly useless status spell nobody ever uses outside of farming with *Hunter because the spell accuracy is so low and the enemies at the higher levels have ridiculously high resistances and you can just Auto-Battle through regular battles anyway.
- Level 2 Wind full heal, which you would probably want to bump up to Level 1 with Cyclone to make room for more The Shredding charges.
- Level 3 Wind is one of the ONLY useful direct-damage spells in this element, which is why you would want to bump it to Level 2 with Cyclone when you get the chance.
- Level 4 Wind / Level 3 Cyclone allows the caster to reflect magic once, but the reflect damage is so low it's not always worth it, but 100% repel for 1 magic spell hit is not actually that bad if you only want to block magic spells all day, which, again, does not make use of Luc's high MAG to its full potential. You can always use the Level 4 MP for Rune Unites, though.
- Level 4 Cyclone (Shining Wind) is AWESOME, and much more so if you combine it with a Level 4 Water spell to cast Water Dragon.

- The solution I found to these problems was to simply replace *Wizard with magic runes that plays well with their elemental affinities. So Rina can have Blue Gate/Flowing/Barrier and Luc can have Blue Gate/[Cyclone OR Mother Earth]/Barrier. In this way, both Luc and Rina are still pretty stacked with Magic Repel and yet able to use all their MP levels to their full potential.