Question regarding the "monster" Stars of Destiny

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
veeshadow

Re: Question regarding the "monster" Stars of Destiny

Post by veeshadow »

I just thinking the game really rushed when you start Luca arc onward. Glitched recipes and items mostly come from end game, rushed characters, rushed story, useless playable SoD on end game, not that useless but when you already got empowered party members like Flik/Luc/Stallion/Gengen/Nina, you just don't feel like to use endgame characters (just personal reference, I am not saying they're best chars just my own OP party lol).
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Pyriel wrote:Yeah, I was mainly responding to Sasarai10 saying Badeaux should give 4 crystals. If he'd given out a side quest to find more, or opened up a "Listening Crystal Shop" on the library lawn, it would have been spectacular. Of course, it also would have been a huge black-eye for Konami, because you'd think they'd notice that an important quest-giver wasn't showing up at some point during the development of 7 versions of the game.

Listening Crystal Shop??? That means he would have unlimited Listening Crystals,so you could recruit random monsters that can be found in different areas?? That would be pretty nice...it would be like Pokemon,and pokeballs would be replaced by Listening Crystals :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or he could have a spell,to recruit random monsters,like Cornelio from S5,with his DoReMi elves.

veeshadow wrote:I just thinking the game really rushed when you start Luca arc onward. Glitched recipes and items mostly come from end game, rushed characters, rushed story, useless playable SoD on end game, not that useless but when you already got empowered party members like Flik/Luc/Stallion/Gengen/Nina, you just don't feel like to use endgame characters (just personal reference, I am not saying they're best chars just my own OP party lol).

Pesmerga and Mazus are useless? For God's sake!!! They are already leveled up,and those 2 are farely end game characters,since they are useful in war battles too. Mazus leads a sorcery Unite,and he has a unique skill that inflicts damage in a big area,and Pesmerga has a Cavalry ability with +3 attack.

On the other hand,yes there are some useless SoD in the end,like the two musicians who are just usefull as Marlowe and Fitcher,since you can hear the soundtrack of the game,with Anallee only.

Sylo wrote: I bet a lot of people thought that Rowd was recruitable during their first playthrough. You have certainly recruited more horrible people than Rowd during both the first two games! I am not sure what I would think of that, I guess it would depend on how his character developed and (possibly) repented.

But yes, I did think it was a bit odd how he was no longer significant once the bigger plot was expanded upon. Its a bit of a shame since you spend a good portion of the beginning despising Rowd! I would definitely prefer to have been able to recruit him than some random unicorn and such :/

Yes i thought that he could be recruitable when i first played the game.

Other charactes that i thought they were recruitable were,Ellie of course,because I didn't know about McDohl's recruitment in S2 back then,and i wondered why she had an avatar since she isn't a unique character...and Elza too..i thought that you could persuade her to join,after some point.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Interesting. I never considered Rowd to be recruitable! He is a serious dickbag though. It wouldn't make sense to have him in your army though, considering he only leaves Highland when Jowy becomes King. I doubt he'd run to Riou. One of the good things about Suikoden 2 is that the cast of Highland Army have their own storylines and such. It's great.

I have recruited Abizboah before but I prefer Sigfried. Because unicorns are cool and squids gross me out :roll: I also just noticed that all of the listening crystal 'monsters' are mythical creatures, rather than normal animals. Totally irrelevant, but I'm a little slow sometimes ^-^'

Badeaux's listening crystal shop I imagine just to be a rug on the grass with all these animals hanging around. It'd be beautiful ^-^
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Pesmerga and Mazus, huh? Two reasons why people don't use them:

* They're pretty high leveled, so you can't grind them to level 99 with the soldiers at L'Renouille or the Pixies at Mount Rakutei, unless both of them are affected by the level 99 bug.
* Both have only one available rune slot each, and Mazus had two of his slots occupied by magic runes. This is in a game where rune slots matter and offensive magic becomes pretty useless by the end game (why try to cast Flaming Arrows if the enemies at L'Renouille have absurdly high MDEF and you can decimate entire enemy parties with just normal attacks?).
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Nikisaur wrote:Badeaux's listening crystal shop I imagine just to be a rug on the grass with all these animals hanging around. It'd be beautiful ^-^
I hadn't thought it through that far, but this is a great idea. Kind of a pipe dream, but if I get a chance to figure out how to do it, this is going in. That or I'm going to make him randomly turn into Slenderman just before he scrolls off screen.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Nikisaur wrote:Interesting. I never considered Rowd to be recruitable! He is a serious dickbag though. It wouldn't make sense to have him in your army though, considering he only leaves Highland when Jowy becomes King. I doubt he'd run to Riou. One of the good things about Suikoden 2 is that the cast of Highland Army have their own storylines and such. It's great.

He leaves Highland after defeating Kiba...so why not find him later in the game,somewhere in Gregminster as i said,and then he tells you the truth. After all i think he lost his position as a general because he suffered a lot of loses.

After all characters like Sonya,Snowe or Euram were recruitable....so why not Rowd? He could be the last recruit in the game like the other 3,so it would make some sense.

ninjaluc79 wrote:Pesmerga and Mazus, huh? Two reasons why people don't use them:

* They're pretty high leveled, so you can't grind them to level 99 with the soldiers at L'Renouille or the Pixies at Mount Rakutei, unless both of them are affected by the level 99 bug.
* Both have only one available rune slot each, and Mazus had two of his slots occupied by magic runes. This is in a game where rune slots matter and offensive magic becomes pretty useless by the end game (why try to cast Flaming Arrows if the enemies at L'Renouille have absurdly high MDEF and you can decimate entire enemy parties with just normal attacks?).

So what??? If you are over level 60 it's ok to fight against the Beast Rune.

Of course you cannot make Mazus a physical fighter,even if he had 3 free rune slots,but he is the best mage in the game,and i prefer using magic to take off the enemies,than physical attacks. And you know what? I like Mazus and Pesmerga because i like their personalities....i wouldn't like to use someone that i don't like just because he has 3 free rune slots,and he can beat the enemies in 1 turn...isn't it better to use characters that you like,since you can pull it off with them?

Suikoden uses a large cast of characters so the player can select his FAVORITE characters,and not being forced to use the "best" ones,unless he cannot proceed the game,but still since there was a guy here,who managed to beat the game solo,i guess you can pull it off even if you are using the worst characters in your team.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

instead of listening crystal, how about implement the Sound Rune (from melodie in S1)?
Badeaux gives it to you upon recruited (or complete his mini game if you could think of any)
If a party member bears this rune then he can trigger same event as the listening orb.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Sasarai10 wrote:He leaves Highland after defeating Kiba...so why not find him later in the game,somewhere in Gregminster as i said,and then he tells you the truth. After all i think he lost his position as a general because he suffered a lot of loses.

After all characters like Sonya,Snowe or Euram were recruitable....so why not Rowd? He could be the last recruit in the game like the other 3,so it would make some sense.
Well it wouldn't make sense in my opinion because Rowd is motivated by money and power. He's a nasty character who would have innocent children (Riou and Jowy) killed so he can be rich.

Kiba, Sonya (and the other Toran generals) you get are fighting for loyalty. Once you learn the truth about them (black runes etc) they want to fight with you to end the corruption. Kiba was loyal to Agares, and Luca sent them to Riou to die. Basically, they can fight with Riou to liberate their nation from his tyranny.

As for Euram, he's a moron who doesn't get it. He gets away with it because he isn't really such a bad kid, just spoiled and deluded. Snowe suffered an error in judgment, but ultimately he was the 'friend character' like Jowy or Pahn that gets forgiven when they see the light (although I didn't really like the Snowe friendship in IV, personally).

Rowd comes under none of these things. Why would he fight Highland? He doesn't strike me as a man who has any loyalty other that to himself and his wallet. I don't see Riou trusting that scumbag either. But that's just my opinion.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Hmmm probably you ignore the fact that Rowd wanted to cure his blind sister,and that's the reason he went to do all this...after all when he captured Riou and Jowy in Kyaro he said to forgive him about this,so that's a hint that he isn't that cold-hearted at all.

For me Rowd is a man who will do anything for someone he loves,like his sister for example....i don't know if he was fired from Highland or he just left because he collected the money he wanted....so it makes a sense that he will join Riou to end this war,in order to repay him for what he did to him in the past... :wink:

Btw,Sonya wasn't under the influence of the Black Rune you know,like Milich or Kwanda. She hated Tir because he killed his father,who was Sonya's lover,and Sonya was seeking revenge. After all she joined him just because she wanted to see him killed,but in the end of the game she changed her mind about him.

Anyway let's discuss about Rowd in a seperate topic. This thread is about monsters
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

Sasarai10 wrote: Pesmerga and Mazus are useless? For God's sake!!! They are already leveled up,and those 2 are farely end game characters,since they are useful in war battles too. Mazus leads a sorcery Unite,and he has a unique skill that inflicts damage in a big area,and Pesmerga has a Cavalry ability with +3 attack.

On the other hand,yes there are some useless SoD in the end,like the two musicians who are just usefull as Marlowe and Fitcher,since you can hear the soundtrack of the game,with Anallee only.
lol relax, I spam them in field war battles just not in normal battle okay?

back to monsters thing, Konami seems messed up with Ayda+Feather. They not adding script that you refuse Feather but still recruiting Ayda...

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

veeshadow wrote:
lol relax, I spam them in field war battles just not in normal battle okay?

back to monsters thing, Konami seems messed up with Ayda+Feather. They not adding script that you refuse Feather but still recruiting Ayda...
Well,personaly i use them in normal battles too...they are massive imo,no matter if they don't have 3 free rune slots. Their raw stats are great,and i like their mysterious personalities...and that's enough for me since i can beat the game as it is. After all i don't care about the number of turns it will take to finish the battle.

About the monsters now,it seems normal to me that Ayda is recruited alongside with Feather. It's like something Hix & Tengaar or Tai Ho & Yam Koo. It wouldn't make any sense torecruit them seperately.
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

^
things that bugged me?

- no Ayda+Feather unite.
- never together in castle.
- Richmond investigation not related each other.