Suikoden 2 Canon Parties for each Story Arc

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
ninjaluc79

Suikoden 2 Canon Parties for each Story Arc

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Hi everyone, I'm back!

I haven't checked out the radio drama in its fullest as of date (I only heard the Greenhill Rescue Arc and the Luca Blight Battle), but from what I have heard, it did not include some parts of the game, such as the Sindar Ruins, Two River Sewers (I think) and Tinto. But I did observe though was that Mukumuku and Luc were included in the Greenhill party in the radio drama.

As for Tinto, I was set on the party of Riou, Nanami, Viktor, McDohl, Hix, and Tengaar in an attempt to get special scenes from the Tinto Arc with them (as the last four have dealt with Neclord in Suikoden 1), but to no avail. There were no special scenes involving any of the characters except of course Viktor.

So, anyone has ideas about the possible "canon" parties for each story arc of Suikoden 2? To give you an idea, FF4 had a canon final party of Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Rydia, and Edge.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden 2 Canon Parties for each Story Arc

Post by patapi »

Isn't it the case that players never had a choice with Final Fantasy IV's final party, since the game dictates who are left with you at the end? Pretty sure it's a different situation with Suikoden II.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I thought you could change the members of the final party in FF4, though, but it's probably the remakes that allow it.

But I agree that Suikoden gives A LOT MORE choices for party members than in FF, and plus you can even cherry-tap the game by soloing the Final Boss or fielding in a party of crappy characters.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, in the original FF IV on the SNES, you couldn't swap characters. You had the people that a particular phase of the story dictated, and that was it. Edward and Yang stayed in bed, and the twins weren't un-stoned until the ending.

I don't think Konami is ever going to establish such a "canon" in any sense of the word, so what's the value in trying to guess?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I'm the kind of guy who plays games for the story instead of being all about getting a character to do 9999 damage (though it becomes kinda necessary when the game becomes ridiculously hard without using game breakers). So I tend to field in guys in my party whom I feel suitable for each story arc.

For example, I would use Luc for the Greenhill Rescue Arc, and then Hix and Tengaar for the Tinto Arc.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

The "canon" party in S2 during Tinto events is supposed to be Viktor,Kahn,Sierra,Riou & Nanami.

Simply the canon characters are those who are supposed to be selected automaticly in each story event,and NO ONE else. That means you have to go to L'Renouile solo....can you handle this?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The "canon" party in S2 during Tinto events is supposed to be Viktor,Kahn,Sierra,Riou & Nanami.
If the canon party for Tinto is supposed to be that then why is Flik in the play in Suikoden III?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
If the canon party for Tinto is supposed to be that then why is Flik in the play in Suikoden III?
Probably that was a creator's mistake...they put Flik instead of Kahn.
Flik wasn't related with Neclord events
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You listed off a 5-person party. No swapping is necessary to take Flik along.

"Canon" is just another word for "preference" here. What Ninjaluc seems to be looking for is thoughts on which characters might have interesting or informative dialog if they're brought to certain events. Out of the possible narratives this creates, he wants to pick his favorite one.

Admittedly, if you call that "canon", it's just painting the pitch for an argument. Aside from the people you're forced to carry in your party or entourage, and perhaps a few notable cases where you're strongly urged to take a person along, but you can manage to refuse, there's really no justification that can't be weaseled out of. Raww says Flik is described as being there in one of the plays from Suikoden III. That or an endorsed manga is about as close to Konami announcing the canon version of events as you'll get, and Sasarai writes it off as an error. Given Konami's attention to detail and the personnel shake-ups they had around that time, he might even be right. I could probably cast it as an in-character bit of misinformation from the playwright, for example, if it was "Neclord's Castle - A play in one act, by Nina".
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I guess ninjaluc is just looking for parties that make sense storywise.

Well, I'd say 5 squirrel party after Nanami's "death". Riou gets insane and wants to take insane vengeance.. with squirrels.

It would be cool to get extra scenes for SUikoden characters that you bring to Gregminster.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Sasarai10 wrote:Flik wasn't related with Neclord events
Flik joins the party if you run away during the Neclord arc once you reach Drakemouth Village and agree to return.

Your canon statement holds no water as there are multiple paths the game can take and is directly contradicted by another canon source.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Flik joins the party if you run away during the Neclord arc once you reach Drakemouth Village and agree to return.

Your canon statement holds no water as there are multiple paths the game can take and is directly contradicted by another canon source.

That wasn't supposed to be an alternative story?

I think the normal story meant to be to don't run away from Tinto.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Oops, that came out wrong.

Alright, if I only include party members that get forced on me, that would be insanely difficult but not impossible, as solo character runs have attested to.

So, yeah, maybe I was looking for parties that would make the most sense storywise. But problem is I don't know exactly who would make the most sense to be in the party for a particular story arc. Not only that there is no way to predict who would be the extra party members during the Sindar Ruins Arc, even the Greenhill Rescue Mission with its limited party selection can still be a problem.

From what I have heard from the Radio Drama, Muku is always with the party, at least until things get serious anyway. I'm pretty sure Riou's party consisted of Muku and Luc in the Radio Drama. Anywhere else, no idea.