Suikoden reference in Diablo 3?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
veriaqa

Suikoden reference in Diablo 3?

Post by veriaqa »

I heard that there's a monster named Lu'ca in Diablo 3? Suikoden 2 reference? I want to check it my self, but unfortunately my PC is too old to play Diablo 3. Anyone can confirm this?
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Suikoden reference in Diablo 3?

Post by Pyriel »

Whether or not it was intended as a reference, I can't say. It seems pretty likely as it's a Blight Beast.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Lu'ca

But I think it's a good sign that there are tons of postsout there that speculate that it is a Suikoden reference.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Antimatzist wrote:http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Lu'ca

But I think it's a good sign that there are tons of postsout there that speculate that it is a Suikoden reference.
If this is a coincidence from Blizzard part, then it's one hell of a coincidence. I think maybe some staff at Blizzard is a Suikofan.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't see the resemblance whatsoever
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

A monster of Blight Beast type named Lu'ca; Do you really can't see any Suiko reference?

Well maybe it's just me, but if it's true, it's very nice to see a Suikoden reference in another game.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it doesn't look like Lucca and it doesn't look like the Beast Rune incarnates, and the context around the enemy doesn't show any connection either.
Lu'ca, Blight Beast is a unique Maggot Brood that can be found in Putrid Hovel in Diablo III. It spawns for an unmarked event.

It has Plagued and Poison Enchanted affixes, and in addition, it will summon much more maggots than a normal Maggot Brood can. As players fight Lu'ca, it will retreat further into the depths of the hovel, to its Cursed Chest, and only when it reaches the chest it may be killed.
if i saw something like it uses a Fire Sword or does 3-hit combos or laughs like a maniac, maybe i'd agree there was something.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

It's only the name, KFCrispy.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

View it from another perspective: if someone designs a Blight Beast called Lu'ca or a Levenheit Dragon called Jo'shua or whatever, and claims to not know Suikoden, would you believe that?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
s21

Post by s21 »

haven't played the expansion, but from what i heard, lu'ca will retreat backwards a few times when it has received certain amount of damage

reminds you of the luca battle isn't it?

blizzard games tend to have lots of references to games/movies/etc, still pretty cool seeing a suiko2 reference though
KnightOfTruth

Post by KnightOfTruth »

First I heard of this. That's pretty cool!