Some warning first:
- Spoilers everywhere, I assume you're finished with the game at least if you want bother this topic.
- Keep your respect. I don't want useless discussions for is this possible? what's the purpose? Why you bother this thing? That's why the topic created. To see how my attempt and how's that possible.
- Don't expect a fast play. I don't wanna be called "I have no life except for this game". FF IX excalibur 2 discussion has been there for years, even the guide still fixed or refined at this 2012. Call this a long term playing.
- This is not complete walkthrough or guide. But rather also cool finds or few unique, impressions, and explanation in term of challenge. When I'm trying earlier sections I'm just thought "whoa, that's really possible !!!" seeing I can troll Mist Shade the 1st boss with everyone underleveled makes me happy haha... If I ever want to make a guide for this, it will take long time...
So, call me bored, want a challenge, or else. If you wandering on gamefaqs (different name but same signature), you will notice about my frequently on FF IX boards then participating on one challenge exist on the game. Excalibur 2 + perfect game challenge, you have to pick it on last dungeon in the game before the clock reach 12 hours while at same time you pick any possible missable things, minigames, items, events, and more...Now notice what similarity for Suikoden 2? Yes, Clive's quest. 20 hours limitation then you still want to clear anything possible mainly missable ones.
Why I want to bother this challenge? First, same as excalibur 2 if you only care for Clive's quest alone speed run the game is not hard. You just need to familiarize the game. You can reach it even before half time the requirement need. But then you missed your missable things and more, so why not we do it on the timer as well? Second, gamefaqs and suikosource actually have nice guides in term of this. But sadly, Johnathan's guide just focus for walkthrough and Scarlet's guide on gamefaqs only focus to get all missable items and fastest time but no missable/optional scenes and leftovers. On major battles, how you win them faster? There is no clear strategy or tips regarding one small section. The guide is well made, just seems incomplete to me. Third, I've completed the game around 3-4 times and I completed 2 times with Clive's ending viewed (less than 20 hours, true ending unlocked) but that's just blind play and not getting perfect things, so this time will be the get all things !!
So think this as my attempt to do that, some goals maybe weird but I state it anyway.
- View all Clive's event (obviously)
- Get criteria for best ending (that means get all 108 SoD, forgiver sign, and blah blah included)
- Get missable items. Why not all items? see arguable things.
- Get missable/optional scenes. Yeah I bother to get this one. However, few scenes will be skipped since too much time needed (like 108 battles, facing Rowd on Kyaro)
- Clear major battles without any important units lose. No death, not even wounded or removed on battle. This excluded a state army that no SoD leader inside (few battles has a normal state soldier unit). So guaranteed for get all SoD alive beside Kiba.
- Now for crazy things: between the timer you need to do Richmond's secret, Hai Yo's cook-off, recruiting squirrel, save Ridley on Radat, liberate Greenhill on Yuber's path, and more. Sounds impossible? All Hai Yo's cook-off has high chance to not cleared all 12 rounds but you can do few of them. Plus you can have Nanami and Kiba as your judges since they have point to removed on story (plus Ridley maybe if you choose Boris)
So then what's the topic used for? Discussion, ask, answer, impression, rage, happy, my feelings when attempt to do will going on here. Maybe a show-off too but also the most extreme way to replaying the game...
My progress so far:http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... m-card.jpg
Well that's with Matilda glitch obviously but I swear this is hardest part to me thanks to Black Urn. But also fun in other way,
especially Harpy boss. Who wants to defeat this boss without getting trouble, I just wanna scream out when Revenge Earth and Canopy Defense make the boss become joke !!! Good news and bad news. Good is I've recorded this for more show off on my youtube channel. Bad is I'll hold off the upload for a while...
- Level 99 issue, first if you don't have Fortune Rune there are many members that won't instant lv 99 with lv 99 trick. While with
Fortune I can count how many people that can't instant lv 99. Second that means all people will have to stay at lv 49 maximum for those who can use Fortune and 39 to those can't. Sadly there are few people that still can't fulfill both criteria >__< Now for Riou and Nanami's case. Nanami must be lv 99 before her sacrifice. Riou, either you keep him dead once he touch lv 49 or get him lv 99 at same point as Nanami. Jowy also share unique condition, he can get lv 99 glitch but also if you use Matilda glitch you can level leap him to lv 70-80 using same trick for 60k exp. This also make few parts easier, but easier said than done...
- Guardian deity rewards. Related to lv 99 issue and getting all items.
- Party members, this game has endless combinations in term of party selections. So I can't force you to pick a member beside required ones. The only certain thing is lightning rune. This rune can broke the game for some boss battles. So as long you bring members that can use that rune and have at least 1 free slot the strategies can similar even with D or E affinities.
- Kasumi vs Valeria, Siegfried vs Abizboah, Ridley vs Boris. Not much said from me at this moment. You should know what this means. Long story short, you can still complete the game regardless your route just will take differences. On my game attempt, I pick Kasumi, Siegfried, and Ridley. These are my own reasons:
* kasumi will have Mondo and Sasuke immediately and they are best ones to pick on Luca Blight battles so shorter time for grinding before that battle.
* Abizboah stands as one of possible member that can't instant lv 99 since he can't use Fortune Rune (can someone confirm his initial level? if more than 39 then that is)
* I love Ridley on any way !! Plus the major battles after Boris joins actually will force you to full assault rather than defense. so critical > evade any day.
- All items, mainly bath items. You only have 30 inventories, 60 storage, 5 items per person (assume everyone can't use shield), 6
antiques, 2 paint.. There's no way you can store them all..
- Matilda glitch. I take this for time advantage. I won't say it's impossible to do these things without Matilda glitch. It will just make your time is longer and postpone your later optional things like Richmond's secret and Hai Yo's cook-off. So there will be few things dumped out due to your time. Also money issue for earlier game (don't ever think you'll get Fury Rune until end game)
- Secret room on Radat and Mole minigames, These are two things in the game that make me rage quit them lol... Since they're not missable, just rule them out... If anyone can figure how RNG works behind this (like that one discovered for Squirrel recruitment making this now a joke), that will be something new lol... Before someone ask, yes dude I clear Karen's dance for all levels. I just don't know how to make good tips for this except show you video rather than words (It's on my playlist)