Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, "garrison" might be the closest thing. I always had the impression they'd just camped there for a couple of days, but it's hard to know. They have some fortifications in place, so maybe that's all the closer they ever got to the war, and they've been there for a month trimming trees into fences. Maybe the Unicorn Brigade was only ever meant to garrison the pass, and if the war had crept closer (without collusion), a proper unit would have taken over defense of whatever fortifications the UB had built. "Bivouac" can mean without tents, but in military parlance it usually just refers to a temporary camp without much or any protection in place, and the main shelter typically is tents. Either works, and it's hard to know what the intent was without additional information.
The Wanderer wrote:On another topic, I may want to ping you about the tools and methods you've used for this; I've had a skeletal retranslation project in progress (or at least trying to get off the drawing board) for GS1 for some time, and it's been stalled over the fact that I can't seem to find a way to rebuild the ISO with the files in the correct order for the internal offsets to work properly, even if I don't modify any files at all.
Feel free. In fact, the GS1 patch I linked to a few posts back has just such a script in it. I think I developed it with CD-Tool and the C++ GUI, so I'd rather update it to the plain Lua implementation that bypasses some of the problems of getting CD-Tool and the other command line aspects to function with the GUI. Forcing anyone to deal with those oddities seems unnecessarily cruel. It wouldn't be more than a day's work to do that. I'm reasonably sure I could just grab the GUI script from the GS2 patch and drop in the patch code from the old GS1 patch with a few changes.

That said, a translation patch is usually all or nothing, so if you'd rather work up something that works with a couple of clicks, I can probably help you out.
Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko »

The patched .iso file should be the same size as the unstripped one, right?

Version 2.01.065b is the latest one available to the public?

I bought the game from PSN to show my support to Konami, but there's no way I'm going to play that buggy version. I can ignore many of these bugs, but not the BGM ones.

BTW, people keep saying that Sony doesn't allow for patches in PS1 Classics, and that is true, but it's not really confined by law. They just have stupid procedures at SCE. It's mostly about putting PS1 Classics out in the cheapest possible way so they don't want to pay for bug-fixing and testing. Pyriel did all the hard work for Konami and SCE, but because of red tape at SCE, the little guy that created the PSN .eboot couldn't add ~15 minutes of work to apply this patch. I hate corporations.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It should be the same size, assuming I set the right values for your version. Each disc has several sectors of padding at the end that I think are only there to make the image align to some efficiency boundary that's purpose has been lost to time. If it's a few KB smaller or larger, it just means I forgot to update the amount of air that gets pumped into that version. It doesn't have any effect on the disc's playability that I've seen. My suspicion is that the padding was there for the benefit of one or more of the disc-authoring tools somewhere along the line.

If your PS3 or PSP has custom firmware on it, there's no reason you can't rebuild the packages with all the patches. It's what I do for testing any more, so I can play on my PSP with half an eye while I do something else.

Yeah build 065 is the last one I released. The next version won't come out until I figure a way to fix the Tinto bug. And unfortunately, I just had my next month planned for me, so I doubt I'll be able to spend more than a few minutes at a time working on it.
Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko »

The NTSC-US version, a clean .iso. The patcher said everything went hunky-dory and the output .iso is the same size. I guess I can burn this baby.

I will play on my PS1. Can't stand the small screen on handhelds. I play on them only if I really have to.

Thank you for your hard work.
DrakeDarkHunter

Post by DrakeDarkHunter »

I hate to bother everyone but does anyone know any mirrors for the patch? Because after knowing that it exists I can't help but want to play the best possible version of this game (especially after hearing how awesome it is.)

Thank you for your attention, doubly if you can help me out! :D
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

There's a link to the patch in the first post.
DrakeDarkHunter

Post by DrakeDarkHunter »

Pyriel wrote:There's a link to the patch in the first post.
Excuse my while I feel like a jackass for not looking here first two weeks ago when I first scrambled to find the patch. :oops:

Anyway, thank you very much and sorry for wasting your time.
Poki#3

Post by Poki#3 »

Hi, I'm having an issue with the patcher. After I click "Apply Patch" it just gets stuck at "Verifying Disc". The progress bar is empty and I waited almost half an hour at one point, nothing happens. The program is still responding and uses 100% of one of my CPU cores during this. I'm running Windows 8.1.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

No idea on that one. Take a screenshot of how you had set things up before you tried to apply the patch, and I'll see what I can do. I don't have Windows 8 to test with, so for all I know it just goes haywire for some compatibility reason.
Poki#3

Post by Poki#3 »

Pyriel wrote:No idea on that one. Take a screenshot of how you had set things up before you tried to apply the patch, and I'll see what I can do. I don't have Windows 8 to test with, so for all I know it just goes haywire for some compatibility reason.
You mean something like this? http://i.imgur.com/fFuB6as.png

Since you mentioned compatibility I also tried setting lua-interface.exe to compatibility mode with Windows XP and running it as an administrator, no dice. (The file path is a bit weird since I read earlier in this topic that someone had problems with spaces in it, but that didn't help me :P)

Curiously, if I don't put anything into the Image paths the program also freezes in the same place.

gs2patch.log in not terribly helpfull as it only has this:
Setting up patch dialog
Preparing to create patch from: G:\suiko2patch\SuikodenIIUnpatched.img
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

My guess is that your IMG file isn't something the CD interface recognizes, and it's falling into an infinite loop trying to find files in the image. Try converting it to a plain ISO.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

This isn't necessarily a request for a fix, but I'd like to get a little better understanding of a particular bug.

During the Shu arc of the story, you go and duel Amada to get him to open the sluice gate. After finishing the duel, there is a very brief period of time where Amada moves to leave the screen but you can interact with him. If you interact with him during this time, you will open a dialog box with him, but he keeps moving. The dialog is for your second encounter with him, where you're trying to recruit him to use the boat. You can go through the full sequence and even the second duel, but after winning the game is soft-locked since his character sprite has already left the screen and it's supposed to join your party.

I haven't experimented with this too extensively, but I wanted to ask if there are some other things that could be tried such that the game is not softlocked when performing this. I'm pretty sure I get why this happens; the game starts running a script to move Amada into your party when he's no longer loaded into the screen. What I'd like to know then is if there are any other theoretical ways to break out of this script (hardware interrupts, somehow forcing a jump to a different script, etc), or if there might be a way to keep him on the screen so that he isn't unloaded from the scene. I've tried getting in front of him, but as best I can tell he can't be blocked from moving. One thing I have not tried is actually losing the duel to see what effect, if not just a Game Over, it gives. If losing the duel can cause game overs, I'm wondering if it has any bearing on the story triggers necessary for Amada to be reloaded on the screen for the second duel before the events with Fitcher.

So yeah, just looking for a little better understanding of what may or may not be possible with this bug.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Is there a way to trigger that without a tool assist? I've tried like hell to talk to him before he gets out of range, and I've never been able to do it with an emulator running normally.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

I can do it in real-time without much trouble. The key is getting through text boxes quickly. With text speed set to Fast, you can mash X, O, L1 and L2 to move through text boxes about as fast as you could with a turbo controller. After that you have enough time to run up to him or get in front of him.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, the easy thing to do would be to edit the script so he either walks much more slowly or doesn't walk at all. In the latter case, at least you'd know if it was related to his resources unloading. I'm not too sure that could be the cause, though.

Have you tried it in the Japanese version? If I was a betting man, I'd guess it was a similar situation to the Tinto Glitch, where the file had to be split during localization, and you're left with half a script. There's really not much need for a character to be present when recruited. Although, if he actually joins the party straight-away, that would be a problem. Parallel scripts executing and coming into conflict.

Edit: Looking at Bad Potato's old video, I'm guessing the issue is that Amada can't walk into you. The scripts don't really come with path-finding, it's basically a function that accepts an arbitrary number of direction and distance parameters. In this case, he's wandered out of frame and doesn't really exist to be animated, but the script probably just says something like Move(Amada, RateNormal, South, 3). The fact that his sprite is gone and wouldn't be in the right location anyway can't really be accounted for, and since that script shouldn't fire until a bit later, there wouldn't have been any reason to do so anyway.

In any case, Konami was clearly relying on timing when it would have been safer to just make him non-interactive for the duration of that walk.