Effects of NOT loading data from S1

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Effects of NOT loading data from S1

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

So we all know if you load data from Suikoden I into II you can get McDohl and with Gremio alive the last recipe and names transfer.

But what happens if you don't? Interestingly, there are some subtle changes to the game to explain some things based on you not having played the original game, but this also gets abandoned really early on. But there are some interesting implications.

- Names -

So obviously if you don't load data your names won't transfer, the old book about the Gate Rune War will identify the hero simply as McDohl in English, in Japanese however it will identify him as "bocchan", or the Young Master. The castle is also defaulted to Toran in English but in Japanese it defaults to Orange Castle. Presumably this was changed because the localized Suikoden I changed Camille's suggestion of naming the castle "orange" to "white" instead.

- Bringing Apple to Viktor's fort -

When Apple meets up with Viktor in the fort their exchange is actually longer and changed, she no longer berates him for letting everyone think they were dead but instead they just act like old friends and introduces her to the player.

Viktor: "Hey Apple, long time no see. I thought you would have been a happy little housewife by now."
Apple: "I'm doing research here so I can compile Mathiu's chronicles."
Pohl: "Who is this?"
Viktor: "A friend that Flik and I fought alongside years ago. You must have heard of General Mathiu of the Toran Republic? This is Mathiu's student."
Flik: "How's Mathiu doing?"
Apple: "General Mathiu died of his wounds after the war..."
Viktor: "I'm sorry..... I didn't know..... Anyway, stay for a while."
Apple: "I'm afraid I can't. Luca Blight has attacked Toto Village."

Conversation will then proceed as normal.

- Sheena comes to the HQ -

Weirdly, Sheena's introduction is changed. When he greets Flik and Viktor now it seems to imply that he wasn't part of the Liberation Army at all, though he still knows Apple.

Normally he goes:

"See, I told you! Hey, Flik, Viktor, how's it going?"
but now it's
"I've heard all about you two from my dad, and from Apple." though the localization seems to have thought it was a continuation of the first line cause they cut off a bit, in Japanese it's more like
"Hey, you're Flik and Viktor. I know you two. I've heard all about you from my dad and Apple here."

I really don't see why this needed to be changed, he knows Flik and Viktor, so what? They didn't change Luc's interaction with them. Interesting that they're still very keen on establishing Sheena having a relationship with Apple though.

- Hix & Tengaar -

Normally when first meeting Hix and Tengaar you can bring a character from Suikoden with you to get some extra dialogue, if you don't load data this will not occur and the conversation will proceed like if you didn't bring anyone they recognize, so this is another scene added by loading data.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Effects of NOT loading data from S1

Post by wataru14 »

Thanks for this! I was going to start a playthrough to collect the game dialogue and this saved me a ton of work and at least one additional full replay.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

wataru14 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:31 pm Thanks for this! I was going to start a playthrough to collect the game dialogue and this saved me a ton of work and at least one additional full replay.
If you mean you're going to do an NPC dialogue topic for Suikoden II, you've got your work cut out for you. The script for NPCs changes constantly in Suikoden II, especially in the towns around the HQ, there are entire little mini storylines that play out.

Just taking South Window as an example there's a lady who keeps saying she's late for her lesson, but the type of lesson changes 6 times. There's some kids that are planning to go to the Cave of the Wind and the plans keep changing until they get caught, there's an old man who talks about different things that happened in South Windows history, etc.

There's also an issue with the localization for places like Coronet where the translators just copied previous texts so the dialogue doesn't update as it should in the English versions.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I'm going to try. It was easy with 1 since every town only has about five people. 2 has scores more in every town. If I never finish, I never finish. But I'll see what I can do.

I probably won't try it with 3, though. The towns have more people than even 2 and most people change multiple times per chapter. That's way too much without somehow ripping the files, which I have no idea how to do.

Still, this is project that will keep me busy for a while. And I get to play 2 again.

I don't think the Valeria/Kasumi choice affects much (I don't recall either of them saying a lot after they're recruited), but having to play through to the end after both options in Tinto will take some time. I also don't see myself compiling all the companion lines in Greenhill, Rockaxe and L'Renouille. At least not anytime soon.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The towns have more people than even 2 and most people change multiple times per chapter.
As I'm currently replaying, I found most people in III just change their dialogue once or twice, at least in the early chapters. It's hard to keep track because 90% of the NPCs say the same thing, regardless of who is the current main character.

Most important NPC is that guy doing the bad puns and the people get increasingly more annoyed with him.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Antimatzist wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:47 pm As I'm currently replaying, I found most people in III just change their dialogue once or twice, at least in the early chapters. It's hard to keep track because 90% of the NPCs say the same thing, regardless of who is the current main character.

Most important NPC is that guy doing the bad puns and the people get increasingly more annoyed with him.
Well that's good to hear. Maybe I will try it down the road. Not getting Viki until so late makes it unpleasant to backtrack after plot points, but it can be done.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sorry, I was unclear: once or twice per chapter. Most people will react similarly to Geddoe, Hugo or Thomas, whereas all Zexens will give a different line to Chris. So it's still a lot of NPC dialogue, but manageable.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

IIRC, Pyriel uploaded the entire dialogue/text dump in the game that you can use as a reference. You still have to sort out who/where/when etc.

https://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/view ... &start=690

Don't remember where is English one is.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

On my hard drive somewhere, if you can't find where I uploaded it.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

If you could find it and repost it, that would be really appreciated. Don't put yourself out, though. I can still get the data the old fashioned way. In the meantime I'll search.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

These are the ones that I have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Might as well put these since they were in my folders.
Initial stats for initial stats
Reports is the area for enemy encounters
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Thanks so much!!!
Julian

Post by Julian »

I did some digging. Sorta tangential data to this.

Transfering save data modifies a couple flags. These are all in flag 150.

0x1: This is set if Sheena joined and is alive.

If this flag is set, which *only* happens if you load save data and recruited Sheena, you'll get this line:
"See, I told you!
Hey, Flik, Viktor,
how's it going?"

If the flag is not set, which happens if you don't load save data, or if you load save data but didn't recruit Sheena(Or I guess he died?) you get this line:
"I've heard all about you two
from my dad, and from Apple."

0x2: This is set if you loaded any save data, period. It's used a lot. (105 times over 5 files, possibly more.)
Looks like some extra/different dialog in the Lester cook off.
The rest are all in Gregminster/Gregminster interiors/Banner Pass/Banner Village, probably related to the Tir sidequest, and I don't wanna dig through them all.

0x4: This flag is set if Gremio is dead. Ridiculous number of uses (120 checks for bit being clear (alive), 98 for being set (dead)

0x8: This flag is set if Riou and Tir have the exact same name.
This seems to change some of Ko's dialog. It's a bit of a mess to follow so I'm not checking further for now.

0x16: This flag is set if Pahn is dead. I guess they were going to implement this but never bothered. As far as I can tell it is never used.

0x32: This flag is set if you obtained the 100 potch from the statue in Gregminsters. Which means if you don't grab it in S1, you can come back and grab it in S2. :) Or you can just grab it if you didn't load save data. No double dipping!

That's it for flags.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Julian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm 0x8: This flag is set if Riou and Tir have the exact same name.
This seems to change some of Ko's dialog. It's a bit of a mess to follow so I'm not checking further for now.
Both Gremio and Ellie will react to Tir and Riou having the same name. From what I've seen in the text dump, they just mention it once and never again.
Julian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm
0x32: This flag is set if you obtained the 100 potch from the statue in Gregminsters. Which means if you don't grab it in S1, you can come back and grab it in S2. :) Or you can just grab it if you didn't load save data. No double dipping!
That's awesome!