War Gameshark codes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Ori19

Re: War Gameshark codes

Post by Ori19 »

Hey guys i've a little problem with these gameshark codes.
I have the psx emulator and the CEP. Could someone explain me in detail what i have to do to make the codes work properly?¿
I've the ePsxe emulator 1.7 and PEC too.

thx guys :)
MerlinX

Post by MerlinX »

Hi I know this is old but a question I need to ask every time I try major battle codes nomatter what game shark I use it freezes up if I use it on version 3.3 it freezes up in the middle of battle. If I use 4.0 it freezes after battle is there noway of using major battle codes without causing these issues?
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Necro posting some things I've found in these battles. Made a handy little trainer to play around with war battles.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... hoto%2cpng

The value the OP wasn't sure about, being a sprite edit, is actually the unit's attack type. E.I.
801B4934 = Riou's unit attack type
00 = 1 range
01 = bow (2 range)
02 = magic (3 range)

There's a second chunk of data in each battle too.
1b7790 = Riou's X pos
1b7791 = Riou's Y pos
1b7792 = Unit heroes 3 bytes
1b7795 = Health 00=full,01-04=up to four swords
1b7797 = status 00=not here, 01=alive, 02 = dead
1b7798 = turn 01=done

Love these little war battles. I'm not sure what hasn't been discovered by this community yet, but I might be digging into the mechanics of attacks.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Just to check, have you found any other unit types beyond melee, archer and mage? Logically it makes sense that those are the only ones, but I wasn't sure if cavalry was treated differently than the base units.
Metsu

Post by Metsu »

Nope, I thought the same thing though. The game assigns them the 00 (melee) type, but their hero composition seems to determine if they are cavalry or what not. I'll have to try it again but I'm pretty sure when I set it higher, the game just froze or became unresponsive to controls.

I was playing around with the battles and found that those battle scripts really do prevent you from winning.
Seeing Luca's hidden unit and making him appear early as well as killing him is always fun :)

I killed off all the units but they game forces you to take turns indefinitely since you're suppose to lose this battle.

I have to be careful with the tool though as I accidentally killed myself. I added Luca Blight to my unit and forgot about it. Then I hit the devastate button which puts 4 swords of damage on any unit with a highland (enemy) unit in it. Whoops!

Still have to find the rest of the battle memory allocations. The OP listed them all out for the first block, but apparently, the second block of memory addresses is a different offset from the first on each one.
Hybridfurie

Post by Hybridfurie »

Cool to see more work was done here and that the topic is still around. If you pop back around and have the memory allocations, drop a line. I'm running through a playthrough sometime this year (enjoying a modded psx classic) so I'll see what I can turn up. Not sure how good RetroArch's cheat searching is, though.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

A little thread necromancy.

Is there a code that allows you to control all units on the battlefield? I've seen Youtube playthroughs where it looks like they're using one.
I've seen codes online that say it's to control all units, but it also is titled Battle 6. I just did the North Window defense (battle 4) and it didn't work.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I don't think so. Every battle is a separate overlay, and needs its own codes. It's just a lot of work for not much payoff.

As far as I can recall, there isn't an obvious, shared module with code required for all war battles. It might just be cloned in every WAR module. Not 100% sure. However, if that battle 6 code actually works in battle 6, it's a pretty good indicator that they just used the copy & paste method.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Pyriel wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:30 pm As far as I can recall, there isn't an obvious, shared module with code required for all war battles. It might just be cloned in every WAR module.
Aye, there's a seperate module for every possible battle, even the ones that are automatic, and they all contain all the information for all of them.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Damn. I was looking for this mostly to be able to get the quotes from each unit when they attack Luca Blight and to save Ridley more easily. And to keep the AI from being stupid (like Flik constantly attacking in melee when he's an archer unit and Kiba using Repair Self when he's not even damaged).