Armor Drops...Giving Up

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Arlik

Armor Drops...Giving Up

Post by Arlik »

Howdy guys. I am new to these boards. I am at the end of the game and ready to fight the emperor. However, before doing so, I have been trying to collect all of the best armor pieces from the creatures. No matter what the party setup is, it seems to be extremely tough to get armor to drop. Out of fighting 100 ninja battles, you may get 1 or 2 Crimson Capes. Really though, the only reason I am collecting this gear is to outfit those characters that transfer over to Suikoden II. I have two questions:

1. Does the group's overall luck have anything to do with obtaining items dropped from mobs?

2. I know the Windspun Armor transfers over with Humprey, but what about the Crimson Capes I give him? Do any of the accessory/other armors transfer over as well or just the hat and armor type pieces?

Thanks guys for the help. :D

Arlik
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

not many things get transferred. sorry i dunno specifics. "upgrade" runes such as flowing, cyclone, rage runes get "downgraded" to water, wind, fire respectively if they do get carried over. bleh

people like to believe high LUK parties help the rate of item drops and/or if you get more-rare items. but not sure. Soul Eater says as he fought for hours with different luck parties, higher luck parties got more items in less time... so could be true.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

KFCrispy is right...

My research showed that luck may help, but it wasn't in enough depth to be considered evidence. Having a high luck party can't hurt though. Use people like Meg and Hix that return in Suikoden II, so that they will return on a higher level. (Note that if they are on level 99 in suikoden 1 you can't do the lvl 99 trick in suikoden II, unless you get a fortune rune in 2).

I don't think Crimson Cape carries over onto anyone anyway, but someone did say that McDohl can carry it across, so I suppose its worth a try for him.

Also I naively thought that all runes mentioned above would carry over almost all characters. This is what I found for my returning characters:

(all were on lvl 99 with lvl 16 wpn in suikoden 1)

NAME | LVL | WPN
Flik: 33, 10
Viktor: 33, 9
Humphrey: 57, 12
Futch: 52, 10
Luc: 42, 7
Tai Ho: 27, 7
Clive: 27, 10
Stallion: 48, 10
Hix: 42, 8
Meg: 48, 8
Tengaar: 42, 11
Sheena: 58, 11
Lorelai: 58, 9
Valeria: 58, 9
Kasumi: 58, 10
McDohl: 58, 14

Tai Ho's lvl and wpn lvl are unaffected by suikoden 1. Clive's weapon but not his level get carried over into suikoden 2.

Humphrey's Windspun Armor and McDohl's Master Garb + Silver Hat are the only equipment that definitley transfers across. Something might have done so for Sheena but I'm not sure.

The runes (all supposedly transferrable) I gave people at the end of suikoden 1 were:

Clive - Rage
Tengaar - Cyclone
Humphrey - Double-Beat
Hix - Counter
Futch - Spark
Flik - Resurrection
Meg - Flowing
Lorelai - Mother Earth

Kasumi, Sheena, Stallion and Valeria all have fixed runes in suiko 1
Viktor, Pesmerga and Luc all start suiko 2 with certain runes regardless, so I didn't bother equipping them in 1.

Only Meg and Tengaar carried across runes from the first game. They were downgraded elemental runes. There were a few lists on various threads of this site stating which runes were transferrable into Suiko II, but none of them worked for me... perhaps only certain people work with certain runes?
Arlik

Post by Arlik »

Thank you both so much for your responses. Soul, thanks a million for the listing of information you provided. After reading your replies, am I to assume the following?:

- There is no reason to level up characters in S1 to transfer over to S2 as it makes it tougher to do the level 99 trick in S2?

- Do not camp the "other" armors like the Crimson Cape for characters that transfer over to S2 as more than likely they will not transfer anyway?

- Do not worry with giving everyone a rune except for Tengaar and Meg as they seem to be the only ones who bring over their runes?

I really appreciate your responses. After I posted my first post, I did try the high luck group out. Unfortunately, I did not have a save prior to the Sonia Fortress, so I was stuck with Viktor and Flik in my party. However, they both seem to have decent Luck. The Crimson Capes did seem to be a little more frequent. The pain with them though is 2 per character means long hours camping. :? One thing that may be just coincidence is it seemed that the drop rate was more frequent when I used a high level rune spell (ex. Hell) to kill all of the enemies on the screen. I am not sure if anyone had tested this theory out at all or not.

Thanks again guys for all of your help. I look forward to your responses.

Arlik
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Arlik wrote:Thank you both so much for your responses. Soul, thanks a million for the listing of information you provided. After reading your replies, am I to assume the following?:

- There is no reason to level up characters in S1 to transfer over to S2 as it makes it tougher to do the level 99 trick in S2?

- Do not camp the "other" armors like the Crimson Cape for characters that transfer over to S2 as more than likely they will not transfer anyway?

- Do not worry with giving everyone a rune except for Tengaar and Meg as they seem to be the only ones who bring over their runes?

I really appreciate your responses. After I posted my first post, I did try the high luck group out. Unfortunately, I did not have a save prior to the Sonia Fortress, so I was stuck with Viktor and Flik in my party. However, they both seem to have decent Luck. The Crimson Capes did seem to be a little more frequent. The pain with them though is 2 per character means long hours camping. :? One thing that may be just coincidence is it seemed that the drop rate was more frequent when I used a high level rune spell (ex. Hell) to kill all of the enemies on the screen. I am not sure if anyone had tested this theory out at all or not.

Thanks again guys for all of your help. I look forward to your responses.

Arlik
1) the level 99 trick takes characters straight from level 39 to 99, but if you get a fortune rune then they can be anywhere from in the 30'2 to level 49 and the trick will work. This means that anyone I listed as returning at level 49 or below will still be available for the trick even if their level is maxed in suikoden 1, so you can level them as much as you like. For the others (Humphrey, Sheena etc)... if they are average level (around 60-65) in suikoden 1 then you will probably be able to do the trick on everyone.

Remember this is only if you have the fortune rune. 3/4 of the way into the game you get the choice of many items from the guardian diety. The best ones are probably the hunter rune (a rune for getting very rare items) and the fortune rune (double exp).. this is the only way to get either item (well you can get hunter rune at the very end but it is pretty useless at that point).

2) I equipped all my transferrable characters with the best stuff I could find anyway. None of it helped, but it wouldn't hurt for you to try giving people random items, maybe you'll find certain people carry across certain items, like Kasumi with Speed Rings (Don't think it works, just an example).

3) Again my configuration may have not been the best one. We know certain runes get carried over into II, but maybe this only happens on certain characters. I think it'd be a good idea the try giving the runes I listed to people, but in a different order.. maybe someone will get something?

BTW I know Crimson Cape has good def, but IMO there are lots of better items anyway. Ones that raise you stats, especially power, are very effective. Reducing the physical damage dealt to you by a few points is not as good as doing a good bit more damage to your enemies, so that you can kill them in 1 turn instead of two. An example of this is Power Gloves - their defense (16) is not much less than Crimson Cape (21), but they give you a good power bonus (15), or if you want to even more power and less defense there are power rings (20). Also Mangosh probably makes front line fighters take less physical damage than any other accessory, as it is average defense (12) but gives you a high skill bonus and makes you counter signifcantly more, so you'll take a few points more damage from each hit, but be hit a lot less so it more than makes up.

That's just my preference though.. you should equip your characters with whatever you like really. Hope my info helps. Have you played Suikoden II before? Know much about it?

EDIT: about the high level rune spell increasing item drops, I always found the opposite true really. It seemed like using only physical attacks to kill enemies increased my item drops, specifically using 'Free Will'. This may have been an illusion though, as when I am using spells I am usually paying more attention, making the events seem to go past slower, whereas if I'm half-heartedly going to free will while doing something else then time goes past quicker and I feel like I'm getting items quicker. Just one of those weird things, like how I walk around chests anticlockwise and seem to get more items.
Arlik

Post by Arlik »

Thanks Soul for the reply. I totally agree with you on the Power Rings and such. I didn't realize they gave so much Power, figured only 5+ or so. No, I have never played Suikoden II. I purchased it on eBay about a year and a half ago, and I just now broke the seal on it today. My problem is I am always trying to do the "perfect" game, ya know, the person who tries to pick up every single item, see every hidden scene, find all the best gear, get everyone to level 99, etc.

I ended up camping all of the best gear in S1 today for the guys going over to S2. I am going to make a list of all of the gear that transferred over so that I can provide a solid listing of specific armor pieces that actually come over.

Right now I am 3 hours into S2 and am loving every minute of it. I can already tell that this game seems like it will be much longer than the first one. Thanks Soul again for all of your help and info. :D

Arlik
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Arlik wrote:Thanks Soul for the reply. I totally agree with you on the Power Rings and such. I didn't realize they gave so much Power, figured only 5+ or so. No, I have never played Suikoden II. I purchased it on eBay about a year and a half ago, and I just now broke the seal on it today. My problem is I am always trying to do the "perfect" game, ya know, the person who tries to pick up every single item, see every hidden scene, find all the best gear, get everyone to level 99, etc.

I ended up camping all of the best gear in S1 today for the guys going over to S2. I am going to make a list of all of the gear that transferred over so that I can provide a solid listing of specific armor pieces that actually come over.

Right now I am 3 hours into S2 and am loving every minute of it. I can already tell that this game seems like it will be much longer than the first one. Thanks Soul again for all of your help and info. :D

Arlik
I do the same thing, trying to get everything...

I found this To-Do guide useful.

Also the bestiary on this site tells you all the items that enemies drop

I almost got a perfect save, but accidently picked up recipe #12 from the enemy Eagle Man inside Unicorn Forest and gave it to my chef. If you do this an error in the game causes another enemy later in the game to stop dropping recipe #34, meaning you can't get a perfect save.

All that said, on your first playthrough of a game I find it's usually more fun and better in the long run to just play it casually and not bother about getting everthing, do that on your next save so you can concentrate on the storyline this time round.
Arlik

Post by Arlik »

Yeah, I agree with running through the game the first time to get a good feel of the storyline. So far I have logged in around 11 hours on the game. I spent a couple of hours at the beginning fighting 108 times to get the color introduction. This really helped a ton, I was able to get my guys up to level 12 with a stack of potch, and a few pieces of armor to boot.

Right now I am at the inn beside Muse, and I just completed the ruins with Alex. Thanks for the To-Do list link you provided. There are a few from the listing that I forgot to pick up. Are there any items that need to be camped in fear that they cannot be camped later? I remember in S1 there was a urn or something that needed to be camped at that time, as you could not camp it later in the game?

Also, when you camp these items, do you usually get one or a few of them to stock your guys?

Arlik
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Arlik wrote:Yeah, I agree with running through the game the first time to get a good feel of the storyline. So far I have logged in around 11 hours on the game. I spent a couple of hours at the beginning fighting 108 times to get the color introduction. This really helped a ton, I was able to get my guys up to level 12 with a stack of potch, and a few pieces of armor to boot.

Right now I am at the inn beside Muse, and I just completed the ruins with Alex. Thanks for the To-Do list link you provided. There are a few from the listing that I forgot to pick up. Are there any items that need to be camped in fear that they cannot be camped later? I remember in S1 there was a urn or something that needed to be camped at that time, as you could not camp it later in the game?

Also, when you camp these items, do you usually get one or a few of them to stock your guys?

Arlik
The item in S1 was probably a celadon/octopus urn at the start. I think that is the only time you can get them. You don't get anything special (like bath scenes) from having them so the only reason to keep them is for a perfect save.

The to-do guide is designed to list all of the one-off items so that you don't miss any out. I don't think it lists chests, so you'll probably have to check them yourself, and it doesn't list some items that enemies drop, even really good ones sometimes... possibly because you can get them later on (like in a dungeon later called cave of the wind there is a rare peice of headwear which is much better than anything else for most of the game, but it isn't mentioned in the guide. If you combine the bestiary and to-do guide it covers pretty much everything apart from the chests.

If you want to know what something does, the runes list describes each rune and how to get it, so if you only see that you can get it from an enemy then this means that you may miss it out if those enemies disappear later on. The rare armor guide describes what most of the decent equipment does, so you can decide if you want it.

The amount I get of each item depends on what the item is. If it is a good, universal armour that most people can wear then I'll probably try to get 3-4. If it is a heavy armour, shield etc. that less people can use then I'll probably only get 1-2 because its unlikely that I'll ever have more than 1-2 heavy equipment users in my party. With runes I usually only got 1, unless they were really useful ones (double-beat, fury, upgraded elemental runes for weapons), then I'd get about 3.

Ideally I would get more of things.. but its a while before you get an item storage warehouse, and unlike in suikoden 1, where the warehouse had infinite capacity, this one has only 6 pages, and doesn't group things together (like crimson cape X 64), it lists them (crimson cape, crimson cape, etc.) Add in the fact that you have to store numerous recipies, sound sets, window sets, guardian diety pieces and possibly antiques and then you'll very soon get overloaded. I had to resort to filling my unused characters with armor etc.
Arlik

Post by Arlik »

Thanks Soul for the reply. I have been trying to snag everything that may not drop on a higher level mob.

Also, I didn't know anything about the Clive quest. I have looked at all of the information on this quest. I was wondering if there was a reward for finishing this quest, as I don't think my time will cut it.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

All you get for the Clive quest is extra plot (mainly about Elza and the Howling Voice Guild).

I don't know the exact times for each one of the checkpoints in the Clive quest, so I can't really help you that much.