[Discussion] Ways to make Suikoden II more challenging

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Elle

Post by Elle »

alright, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me...like i said i'll have to keep thinking...but just wondering have u or any1 tried to complete the game/or completed the game successfully using all those suggestions made on the previous page?....yet?
"Why do people depend on each other? In the end you're on your own."-Squall
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

I haven't done it yet because I'm currently playing different games and not Suikoden 2. But I do plan to do it the next time I play Suikoden 2.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

2. The second one is my idea of only using 1 rune/character. So it doesn't matter how many rune slots your characters have, but you can only attach one rune on them (plus another one on the weapon). This would have no affect during the major battle, but would affect the versatility of characters in normal battle and would make character choice becoming more important (should I bring a big hitter like Pesmerga? Or should I bring someone who could do unite? or whatever).
so this means you can bring someone like Rina who has 3 rune slots but only use one of them??? also does that mean if a character has one permanent rune attached you cant use another slot?
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Basically it means to treat the runes in Suikoden II as if they were in the original Suikoden: you can have one rune per character and something on the weapon.

For characters with more than one rune slot it does mean that you only use one of them, and if that slot is taken by a fixed rune (e.g. Millie's Groundhog Rune) then that is all you get.

If anyone starts with more than one rune then you have to remove the excess until you have one left before you use that character. This means that Mazus and Rulodia are off limits for parties in this format as they have two fixed runes.

For characters without a fixed rune then you can change the one rune you do use with them to whatever you like, but you have to swap rather than add.

And no cheating with the Black Sword or Bright Shield Runes either; if you place a rune on Jowy or Riou before they obtain them then it must be in the right hand slot so that it will be swapped during the plot.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

While this might be the true intention of RedKilley's idea, I'd rather have him verify that than have someone else (you) attempt to read his mind. So just to make it clear, is that how you really wanted it to be Killey?
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

nuSeed wrote:So just to make it clear, is that how you really wanted it to be Killey?
Yes, exactly like what Shirofan said.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

okay, i didnt mean to sound like an ass i just wanted to have it cleared up by the person who thought of the idea. i think i'm going to do that one on my next playthrough. any suggestions for fighters or mages?
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

No worries about that. As for suggestions, well obviously most of the multiple rune slotters' (characters with more than 1 rune slot) stats aren't really that good. So you might want to have specific-role characters in your party that would excel in their role.

If you want to be offensive, normal attack might not be enough because you can only boost the character's ATK by either Fury or D.Beat or D.Strike Rune, so it might be a good idea to bring characters that have unite (let's say Rikimaru-Amada, or Valeria-Anita, or even Vincent-Simone).

For the healer, you should use whoever you have with the highest MAG stat or the highest affinity with Water element. The role would solely for healing.

Tengaar might be a good idea if you plan on using Earth Rune. She's great with Earth and Earth element could give lots of versatility (attack, strengthened defense, etc). I'll definitely put her as the must-use in this challenge.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

yeah, i always find tengaar to be awesome with the earth rune. actually, last couple playthroughs i used her against the beast rune solely for canopy defense and earthquake.

as for attackers, i was feeling georg. great attack and pretty good speed. also you can equip him better than you can pesmerga. also for attackers, what about clive? he has pretty good attack and awesome speed. a double beat or fury rune would surely help kill stuff easy. also, using a Down rune on his weapon would help to unbalance enemies since he hits so many times.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Using Simone or Vincent would make the game that much harder!!!

If you're really game, try a solo game with only the "forced" characters, or use only Riou and the Mukumuku squad (hehe that'd be funny).

You can always set a Level cap or a time limit.......but in the end you'd be best to just play Suiko III or IV for a while....or dare I say it....another RPG.

If you want a real challange play one handed hanging of the roof....or stop using armor and accessories, you can set your own limits.
Wakaba

Post by Wakaba »

I don't know if it's making the game harder, but what made the game harder for me was to make all the 108 charecters above level 60 that's what i did and the game took me 49h 32min 16sec
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Ummmm Wakaba, using the lvl 99 trick I made ALL of my characters Lvl 99 asides from the hero and Genshu. I've got all the secrets including the clive subquest (pretty much 100% completion) and I did it in under 30 hours. Use the cheat.....saves you time.

Actually you can always try 100% completion in 25 hours......if thats possible. :D
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Jinn

Post by Jinn »

Black Fang wrote:If you're really game, try a solo game with only the "forced" characters, or use only Riou and the Mukumuku squad (hehe that'd be funny).
Actually, that was one of the things I was thinking of. Hero and the five squirrels. Don't use any other characters unless forced to, and use squirrels whenever possible. I love the squirrels. On my next playthrough, I'll see if I can beat the final boss with all squirrels. My friend says it's impossible "because the squirrels suck!"

I have another idea for a challenge. In nearly every RPG, magic is hyped up to be the best thing since sliced bread, but physical attacks outdamage it greatly (Final Fantasy for example). So, in most games, I do a mage challenge. I think it would apply here. I love mages, play them in online games, and generally dislike warriors.

Mage Challenge: Do not sharpen any weapons. Armor is restricted to light armor such as robes (this rules out shields obviously). If a character cannot wear traditional mage armor, then he will wear nothing at all. You cannot use items. No accessories are to be used unless they boost magic or magic defense (no strength, defense, speed, etc). Use as much magic as you like, as it will be your sole form of offense and defense. Attacking is either a last resort or a means to get through a random encounter. You may Defend, but you cannot use a Unite attack. Command runes are not to be used. If a character comes in with a moderate or high attack (via being recruited with a higher level of sharpened weapon or just being buff), either do not use him or you may not attack with him.

The challenge of this comes from the fact that attacking does nothing good as you're very weak. You must get a feel for how much magic you can spare to use in random encounters, how much you need to save for healing, and how much is necessary to bring down a boss. It also helps to mention that your armor is paper thin and you'll likely die to physical attacks quite often.
Culqan

Post by Culqan »

My idea:

1. Try to NOT recruit anyone (if possible)
Im gonna try that out in my next game.
Another stupid message has been posted ^^
Mr Fitcher

Post by Mr Fitcher »

Try to go with only saving one or two times (or less)

+ You really "Die" if you lose.
+ More challencing.

- If you lose you can lose your temper too and throw the ps out of the window.
- Too much playing on one day ? or game-on in night too?
- Electricbreak
Wise man think before they act.
I'm not wise man.