A few random battle-type questions

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Soul Eater

A few random battle-type questions

Post by Soul Eater »

1) In the description for Earth Armour it says "anti-bat", what does this mean?

2) When things say that they repel magic and give a percentage, is this cumulative (like will a 10% and 5% make you repel 15% of the time)?

3) Sometimes you attack more than one enemy in a string of attacks. Which stat affects this?

4) Is there any way to get anyones MP past 9/9/7/5?

5) Do the Blinking/White Saint runes have elements?

6) How often will Gengen and Gabocha do their special unite? how much difference does a dog whistle make? will 2 dog whistles be better than 1?

7) Some runes and items like Skunk and Blue Ribbon say that they detract enemies from attacking the owner, is their effect cumulative? How about Dream Robe, is this the same kind of thing?

Any answers are appreciated, thanks.
Hxc Flavor

Re: A few random battle-type questions

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Soul Eater wrote:1) In the description for Earth Armour it says "anti-bat", what does this mean?

2) When things say that they repel magic and give a percentage, is this cumulative (like will a 10% and 5% make you repel 15% of the time)?

3) Sometimes you attack more than one enemy in a string of attacks. Which stat affects this?

4) Is there any way to get anyones MP past 9/9/7/5?

5) Do the Blinking/White Saint runes have elements?

6) How often will Gengen and Gabocha do their special unite? how much difference does a dog whistle make? will 2 dog whistles be better than 1?

7) Some runes and items like Skunk and Blue Ribbon say that they detract enemies from attacking the owner, is their effect cumulative? How about Dream Robe, is this the same kind of thing?

Any answers are appreciated, thanks.
2) yes

5) no

7) yes
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Kuromimi
Elite Member

Post by Kuromimi »

1.) Anti-bat should be status resistance. Very bad translation error.
2.) Possibly.
3.) Speed.
4.) Don't think so.
5.) Don't think so.
6.) I'd guess there is a 10% chance they would use the attack. Not sure how much the Dog Whistle effects it. See for yourself.
7.) Cumulative? Having a Skunk Rune and Blue Ribbon is pointless; they prevent the character from being targeted by single hitting attacks. You only need one equipped. Dream Robe's additional effect is the same as the Hazy Rune's effect.
Ayemelek
Elite Member

Post by Ayemelek »

Dream Robe and Hazy are cumulative. If you have both, you dodge more.

And in regards to number 3, has anyone remembered the equation within the last few months? I'm fairly certain it was character speed - enemy speed/* = % chance of "jumping" targets, but I could be wrong; either way, I don't recall the number to replace '*.'
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what about Counter and Mangosh? i think you tested once with the Hazy/Dream Robe but i forget the results
Ayemelek
Elite Member

Post by Ayemelek »

Well, I have at least one character's test in my notebook still:

Normal:

Hit by enemy - 60 times
Basic evade - 31 times
Counter attack - 9 times
Phase - null

Dream Robe:

Hit by enemy - 25 times
Basic evade - 37 times
Counter attack - 10 times
Phase - 28 times

Hazy Rune:

Hit by enemy - 39 times
Basic evade - 35 times
Counterattack - 12 times
Phase - 14 times

Dream Robe + Hazy Rune:

Hit by enemy - 20 times
Basic evade - 30 times
Counterattack - 7 times
Phase - 43 times

The others basically reflected this, and if I recall correctly, multiple Hazy Runes did not stack.

I never tried Counter + Mangosh, but if no one else has an answer I'll have free time after work tomorrow, since my delightfully injured back will prevent me from doing anything else.

I also plan on testing Boost on every single character I can to see if there's any rhyme or reason to it, but I'm not all that motivated.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Thanks everyone for the answers, they will come in handy.
Kuromimi wrote: 7.) Cumulative? Having a Skunk Rune and Blue Ribbon is pointless; they prevent the character from being targeted by single hitting attacks. You only need one equipped. Dream Robe's additional effect is the same as the Hazy Rune's effect.
I didn't realise that blue ribbon/skunk made you untargetable, I just though that they reduced the chance of an enemy targeting you, that's why I asked.

I find a lot of the accessories and armours confusing with their descriptions of what they do. Dream Robe's "impervious to attacks" isn't really that accurate... but as I understand it now:

Blue Ribbon and Skunk rune stop you from being targeted

Dream Robe and Hazy rune make you phase out of the way of attacks

Counter rune and Mangosh make you counterattack

are there any other things that also have any of the above effects? Are there any other damage avoiding effects different from those above? (I can only think of repel magic)

Also Ayemelek thanks for all the data, I'll probably do that setup you mentioned, unless the counter + mangosh one is better. Obviously its better to avoid the damage and hit the enemy, so that could be cool. In suikoden 1 Skill make you counterattack and Luck made you dodge, is this the same in suikoden 2?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

we don't know if S2 and S3 runs on the same formulas, but i would say it's way easier to test counter rate in S3 because of the Shield Protect skill + Firefly. in this game, you have to count on countinuous dodging for counter hit chances.
Blinking Mirror

'E' rune affinity

Post by Blinking Mirror »

For a change/challenge I am going to use Viki on my newest playthrough. What is the chance of a spell backfiring when a character has an 'E' rune affinity?