Ted glitch question.

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Zozma

Re: Ted glitch question.

Post by Zozma »

hey i found a weird code and i can't quite understand how it works or how to perfect it... however..
if someone figures it out it has potential to give you access to Ted and Odessa....

301B800E ???? - this changes the first party slot character into ???????????

301B800F ???? second slot
301B8010 third slot
301B8011 fourth slot
301B8012 fifth slot
301B8013 sixth slot

really i don't quite understand how this works but i encountered a lot of bugs when i put values higher than 0006 ish...
perhaps my guesswork is totally off when i put 0000 it turned my first slot into victor... and i think 0001 was cleo...
or something like that... but in any case all the characters i got seemed to have been ones that had recently been in the
party.... on top of that they seem to affect the hero's gfx too even if you dont change the slot hes in...
oops

Post by oops »

there are game saves about with it already done. Leads to the game freezing in many parts though if they are replaced with main characters.
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

yes but being able to do it ones self is much better.....because even if there are save states for having ted in the party
by removing him just once wont that be losing him for good? sigh.. if i were to emulate this game would it be easier to get around bugs?
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

okay i understand this code now, basically with it you can make a "copy" of whoever is in your party of 6. right before ted leaves your party as you are entering the main city walk up to the gate so that all the characters walk out, then activate the code for whichever slot ted is in and change the value to that of whatever slot tir is in (if its slot 1 it will be 0000). after ted leaves and u have control of your party again look in the party menu to see two tir's change the one that used to be ted back in to ted by putting the value of the slot ted was in.
(Note: all of this has to be done without saving and re opening the game)

youll have to do this several times thruout the game, and you can do it with odessa instead but i havent been able to keep them both due to other characters needing to be in the party before you get your HQ (Camille has to be allowed in the party but Tai ho would need the space ted is in and even tho he has a speaking part the game doesnt freeze).... also when you look in the admit to party menu it shows Pesmergia's name instead of Ted...
perhaps ted's character gets overwritten by him later?? i dont know

i really don't think i explained that too well but really... to keep ted OR odessa you have to be very careful when playing around with your party
and i really like those two characters but i really don't know if its worth it to anyone else but myself... it's really tricky but unless ted or odessa are overwritten by other characters ... its probably possible to keep one of them to the end
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Zozma wrote:perhaps ted's character gets overwritten by him later?? i dont know
this happens in Final Fantasy IX; there are some characters who are in your party earlier in the game and when you recruit a permanent character, some of the old character's stats get moved over. they share the same equipment addresses (for coding) and whatnot.
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

alright so to preserve ted you have to make sure you use the code to trick the game into keeping him in the party at every point where the game clears out the party.. to do this you have to use the code to temporarily make ted into a second tir.... whenever the party is cleared out and you have your second tir, then you can use the code for whatever new slot the second tir is in setting the digit to equal whatever slot ted was in before the party was changed.... im currently playing thru the game to see points where there might be trouble... im trying to find a loophole at the point where you enter kwanda's castle and a full party of characters is forced in...

by the way, i activated pesmerga and put him in the party alongside ted... it didn't overwrite ted so doing this ted thing wont hinder you from getting all 108 stars it appears.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

So, do you have to use an AR? If you do, how much do they usually go for?
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

cool beans. if you have time, write up what you've found! perhaps we can make a faqs so people in the future can follow easy directions so they can use Ted throughout the game :)
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

this would be too much of a pain to do on the psx i had to emulate to get my ted

but its basically like this... at every point in the game where it tries to empty the party it of course never removes the hero...

so at several points in the game you have to turn ted into the hero so to speak.... before it removes everyone from the party use the code
... and then turn it back off.... but know this, after the party is cleared out and you see the two tirs... if the first tir was the real one use the code for the tir in the next slot to change him back to ted by setting the value to whatever spot he was in before the party was emptied.
(if you change ted back save the game and restart before filling the party back up, if you put someone in the spot ted used to be in, his data will be erased... the whole point is to preserve his original character data.)

theres even more to it than this, sometimes there are so many characters forced into the party that you have to actually remove the hero himself just to keep ted AND prevent the game from crashing too. the other party members that you are forced to have in your party for story will crash the game more than your hero will if removed. there is a downside tho and that is without hero you have to walk around without any hero gfx or as a glitchy mess....

anyway i donno if anyone will be able to follow my mess of directions, so im hoping someone else will figure out what im talking about and give a better walkthru on it... i used psxeven so when i get to the last point in the game that u have to empty your party then ill make a save state. im wondering now if the game just doesnt have data that saves ted and odessa when removed, afterall they only join once each.
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

That's way too complicated to do.... Anyway, what is Ted like in the later game??
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I would be curious to find out if Oddessa and Ted's statistics are pretty much identicle, they do use the same weapon after all.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i'm planning on getting their stats to lvl 60 one day. i have this EXP modifier code (unfortunately i had to input a line for each and every character) that just sets the exp to 995 so if i fight an enemy for 5 exp or so, i gain a level :)
with a fortune rune, i get 2 levels... so the fortune rune is actually applying exp again, after the normal exp is applied... or something like that.
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

well in my game ted and tir are the highest level of all my stars, lvl 57

their spd and mag are similar in reverse, ted has higher mgc and his hp growth is slightly better than gremio, tir is the faster one.
im pretty sure that odessa developes similarly but ill do a playthru with odessa next time...

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/z ... nt=ted.jpg
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

:( I really wish it was easier than that. Oh well, i've always got IV. :D
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Zozma

Post by Zozma »

well okay then, Odessa is statistically superior to Cleo in every way... and shes super fast maybe even faster than characters like Kasumi....

i have her at level 55 but a few more levels and her magic will be higher than teds in the screenshot... shes certainly got better stats then ted as well.

shes easy to compare to cleo... exception being that her SPD is like 60 points higher (215 at lvl55) ander her luck is like triple (160)

okay so she IS faster than kasumi :) later on cleo gains a few more hp and at the same level her mag is 10 less than ted big deal
this lady is badass , ted is definately a very good character statswise id recommend him to be in your final party of 6 (if it were as easy as just putting him in there) alongside odessa... but if you have a choice based on stats of one or the other... odessa is the one. (just give her any high level magic rune, Rage is great for her but u need to codebreak it in as her rune is fixed just like teds ?????)