[FAQ] What do the stats mean?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
-Fu Su Lu-

[FAQ] What do the stats mean?

Post by -Fu Su Lu- »

Hey i'm new here.

I've been looking everywhere and it never actually tells you in the game.

ATK

ARM

PWR

SKL

DEF

SPD

MGC

LUK

Obviously, I know what some of them are, but the others? Does anyone have an actual guide or something? I can't even find one on this site.

If anyone has the Suikoden II stats aswel....

Thanks in advance.
Sniper_Zegai

Re: What do the stats mean?

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Hi there Fu Su Lu and welcome to the forum :D

ATK. Measures the level of damage inflicted by physical attacks.
ARM. Armor rating that reduces the physical damage done to you.
PWR. Hmm should be the same as attack I think.
SKL. Skill measures your ability to avoid and counter enemy attacks.
DEF. Physical Defense.
SPD. Decides who goes first in a turn.
MGC. Magic Offense and Defense. Decides how much damage you can do with rune magic as well as how many spells you can cast with a rune.
LUK. Luck effects several things in the game, the most noticeable is your probability of escape.

Hope that helps. Seeya
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
-Fu Su Lu-

Post by -Fu Su Lu- »

Thanks for the reply.

So LUK is debatable?

Also, is there any way to find out how often a character can Critical hit? Or even miss attacks?

Thanks again.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I personally think that Luck affects the Critical Hit rate and Skill helps determine Hit%.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Its strange none of this info is displayed anywhere. I never thought about it really.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there are hidden values in almost all games, even if they have complete descriptions of each basic stat.

Critical rate is determined by SKL and LUK
SPD and perhaps other skills (SKL? LUK?) help with dodging
SKL and maybe LUK determine counter-attack (after a dodge).

SKL is your accuracy.

STR + Weapon's strength = ATK.... damage dealt on a normal attack ~= ATK minus enemy's physical defense.

DEF is someone's own physical defense. i forgot what determines Magic Defense, it could be MAG only or MAG and DEF weighted equally (probably just MAG..)

the character's base MAG stat will determine how many spells you have available, and the total MAG stat (if you have equipment boosting it..) adds flat damage to attack and maybe heal spells.

oh, and critical hits do 3x damage :)

on top of this, Murayama or someone supposedly claimed that Crowley has some extra magic boost factor, and Clive has some skill boost factor..
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Whoa I think I prefered not knowing! There is one thing Im curious about. In suikoden 2 some characters have elemental affinity. How does this effect damage. And does it give you any extra spells for that particular rune?
-Fu Su Lu-

Post by -Fu Su Lu- »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Especially Crispy.

I'm a huge Suikoden 1/2 fan. Unfortunately i've not had the chance to play the other 3. I hear 3 and 5 are supposed to be good, not so much 4.

I also have a hard time deciding which I prefer out of the first 2. I'd probably go for Suikoden 1, mainly because of that classic feeling. But they both get 10/10 from me.

Anyway, this looks like a nice forum. I hope to stick around :lol:
CameoChic444

Post by CameoChic444 »

I haven't played the game in a while, but from memory:

ATK= natural PWR+weapon strength (your actual attack rating)
ARM= natural DEF+armour equipped (your actual defense rating)
PWR=natural power
SKL=accuracy, but also impacts critical in a BIG way and those with a high SKILL tend to counter a lot too.
DEF= natural DEF(not magic def)
Spd= turn order and I think it's the primary stat for evade (tested the fast people once and those like Kasumi evaded all the time).
Mgc= number of spells, magic power and magic defense (an important stat in this game, even if you aren't a mage).
LUK= I really don't know for sure. Probably affects criticals, evade, counter. I hate luck in all RPG's because it's NEVER a well-defined stat. Anyway, easily the least important stat (sorry Meg!)

I could be wrong, but those are my thoughts.
whileheavenwept

Post by whileheavenwept »

SKL definately helps with your evade rate.
I was doing the stone glitch to boost my stats on crowley. He was all maxed out except for his SKL which was 89 (out of 255). At first he was getting hit every time and never evading any attacks, but as his SKL increased he started to evade and counter 2-4 times in a row.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Isnt TEC the same as SKL in Suikoden 2?
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

VinceValentine wrote:Isnt TEC the same as SKL in Suikoden 2?
I'm pretty sure it is, but I think there are some in the forum more knowledgeable on Suikoden 2 than I that can definitively answer your question.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:Whoa I think I prefered not knowing! There is one thing Im curious about. In suikoden 2 some characters have elemental affinity. How does this effect damage. And does it give you any extra spells for that particular rune?
Elemental affinity affects how powerful the effects of your spells are. Like let's say it's a E-S scale as we see in SIII. Someone with an E affinity to Water magic will do less healing with same magic stat as someone with an S affinity casting the same spell, likewise on the damage for other runes.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Michael Easton wrote:
VinceValentine wrote:Isnt TEC the same as SKL in Suikoden 2?
I'm pretty sure it is, but I think there are some in the forum more knowledgeable on Suikoden 2 than I that can definitively answer your question.
Well, the reason i ask is because i noticed in Suikoden 2, theres no SKL stat whatsoever and i noticed the TECH stat pretty much has done the same thing the SKL stat does and the general census for SKL is that it effects the characters counter rate, critical hits and the characters accuracy, and that's what i noticed TECH has been doing.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

TECH = SKL from game to game.

Suikoden V may have sorta separate stats (i forget), but one of them is the base skill value and the other is the base + modifications such as armor and skills that modify the accuracy. TECH is still the underlying base stat that determines the critical hit rates..

but that is Suikoden V.