Useless runes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yes, Kasumi's rune is permanent. i was pointing out that since she's the only one to get unbalanced, the Turtle Rune doesn't help the Pretty Girl Attack whatsoever.

the Spark Rune is in this game, right? i thought that was a good waste of another slot. one is Soul Eater and another is almost always Holy Rune, and after/during the Elf/Dwarf plot i have the Sunbeam on for a while, so having a Spark Rune is really asking for limited abilities and nothing really even benficial, except possibly when fighting ninjas with Krin and Kasumi..
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

KFCrispy wrote:yes, Kasumi's rune is permanent. i was pointing out that since she's the only one to get unbalanced, the Turtle Rune doesn't help the Pretty Girl Attack whatsoever.

the Spark Rune is in this game, right? i thought that was a good waste of another slot. one is Soul Eater and another is almost always Holy Rune, and after/during the Elf/Dwarf plot i have the Sunbeam on for a while, so having a Spark Rune is really asking for limited abilities and nothing really even benficial, except possibly when fighting ninjas with Krin and Kasumi..
I found the Spark rune useful a couple of times. Sometimes when I used Humphrey I'd also take Krin, as they have the unite. Humphrey's speed could be a problem so I gave Krin (who had one the highest SPD stats in the game) the spark rune.

Also when you have to use Krin at Moravia it seemed like the best rune to give him, as the ninjas and wolf master enemies are some of the fastest so they go before most of your characters (if they are on an average level) and the spark rune prevents this.
CameoChic444

Post by CameoChic444 »

Am I missing something or is the Pahn's boar rune just pointless? I think it does 2 times damage for 1 round and then disables him in the next - what is the point in that? - while is is out he can't use items, defend, protect his allies etc and is left vulnerable. When you highlight it it says "PAHN'S RUNE" as if it is special and strangely you get one later on when you go back in time but no one eles can equip it! You could say that his magic stat is rubbish but there are other much better physical runes which would serve him better. The fact that he has awful magic also means (i think) that his magic defense is just as bad but i suppose he can take a bashing because of his hp's.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah MAG and DEF determine MDEF in this game (make sense, just combine the terms!). Pahn's MDEF is just as good as a magician's due to the physical DEF factoring in..
anyone can still use items when unbalanced. the Boar and Clone Rune and whatnot all provide a strategic option to average 1x dmg per round while being able to heal every other round, and since Boar is unremovable, Pahn has no other options. there are superior versions of the Boar and Clone Runes, however, such as Shrike (i think it doesn't cause unbalance in this game..? doesn't in 2), Falcon, Hate, and Trick Runes, which will average 2x dmg per round and have no limitations such as unbalance.

Boar Runes can be attached to Eikei and Morgan, btw

do you guys give Gale to slow strong characters? i probably would give them more useful runes, although choice is limited in this game. maybe Water or Killer is more useful... other than that, SPD helps you dodge attacks but i don't really care for that either. so to me, Gale is pretty useless.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

I think I've said it before but I sometimes give Krin the Gale rune, just to make a ridiculously fast character. His base speed can reach 255, this rune doubles it, then add taikiouku wear/ninja suit + 2 x Speed ring and his SPD will be well over 500.

I'm pretty sure that when unite attacks take place is decided by the character participating with the highest speed. This could help with Humprey's Bumpy attack?
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

If so, Krin would already have high SPD in the first place without Gale Rune anyway to help overcome Humphrey's slow Bumpy Attack. So it could be more useful to give Krin something else instead (Water/Flowing to heal if needed? or give him Holy Rune so you could run or whatever).

I guess the logical reason why Gale could be seen as useless is because one character can only equip one rune. If a slow character, yes they'd be faster, but nothing else is different. If a fast character, they're fast already and most likely won't need the double SPD.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

speed (with tech) has the multiple-attack bonus in S2, making it a very fun/useful rune.

characters with unites in S1 and 2 will execute based on the top speed, yes. also same for spells..
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

We can't have multiple attack bonus from SPD and TECH in S1, right?
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

KFCrispy, you said that SPD affects the amount you dodge, and that DEF + MGC affect magic defense, but my instruction manual and experience of the game suggests otherwise.

It says that:

PWR (along with weapon strength) affects physical damage
SKL affects the amount you counterattack, and your hit rate
DEF affects the amount of damage you take from physical attacks
SPD affects the order of attack
MGC affects MP, magic damage and the amount of damage magic deals to you
LUCK affects the amount of criticals that you get, the amount you dodge attacks (but not counter) and item drops.

Some examples of this are:

Camille countered half of the hits aimed at her (she has very high skill, average speed and poor/average luck)

Gon dodged 1/3 of the hits aimed at him, and rarely countered. (very high luck, average speed + skill)

Milia dodged and countered less than either of the above people. Interestingly she countered about twice as much as she dodged attacks, along with the fact that Gon dodges less than Camille counters leads me to believe that SKL has more affect on counterattacking than LUCK does on dodging. (Milia has very high speed, average speed + luck)

and on the magic defense thingy:

Kwanda had 255 for DEF (440 ARM), 80 MGC
Luc had 79 for DEF (132 ARM), 263 MGC
Tai Ho had 127 DEF (244 ARM), 97 MGC

Against physical attacks in the Dragon Knights area they each took the following average physical damage:

Kwanda - 1
Luc - 236
Tai Ho 167

and against magic attacks:

Kwanda - 210
Luc - 1
Tai Ho - 171

maybe my equipment gave some elemental advantage, but those figures seem to contradict what you said?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah looks like. i got that information from what i've read about, sorry. i think a lot of information for this game is very incorrect...
CameoChic444

Post by CameoChic444 »

I don't have such impressive figures but at the beginning of the game Cleo takes much less magical damage than Pahn/Gremio , even though they have a better defense.
Also, Cleo has better magic than the main char and practically the same defense but he takes more magical damage at the beginning and less at the end. I have seen him take less than Luc at the end despite his magic being much worse?? There seems to be an inconsistency somewhere.
Last edited by CameoChic444 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Was cleo being affected by equipment at the start of the game (Wing Boots?)
CameoChic444

Post by CameoChic444 »

No it was at the very beginning when you still had Pahn
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Yeah, you can buy them at Gregminster at the very start (before you even get Pahn)...

but I guess you didn't do that then, so nevermind.
CameoChic444

Post by CameoChic444 »

haven't played the game for 5 years so forgot :wink: yeah i used to win money with marco and buy 4 - 2 for cleo and kept 2 for Camille. Still I think what I said above applies without boots.