[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden I

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden I

Post by Oppenheimer »

Reviews and opinions on certain games are generally disallowed at Suikosource. However, your friendly moderators and admins have noticed that there is a great love and need to discuss opinions and give reviews of the various Suikoden games in the series so these threads have been created!

In this thread you may discuss Suikoden I and give your reviews and opinions on it. You may refer to the other Suikodens but please keep the primary focus of the conversations about your opinions of Suikoden I. You may talk about plot, setting, gameplay or anything else.

Please keep all reviews and opinions to the stickies in each gameplay forum. This change in policy does not mean that the remainder of Suikosource is allowing opinions or reviews.

Enjoy!
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

The only thing I can really say about this game, is that it's a GREAT game and a GREAT start to a series, and it can easily be completed with all 108 stars in 20-30 hours (20 hours if you know what you're doing and where to get the stars, etc.)
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I think that the best things in this game are the excellent dialogue and the gorgeous music.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

It is of my opinion that this game has the best music and most thoughtful storyline of the entire series. That's all I wanted to add :o
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Well, to expand on what I said, I would tend to disagree about dialogue and plot, although I personally think the highlight of this game was probably the Neclord arc, it was very well thought out, and added some depth of character to a few folks.

I think Suikoden II had a lot more gameplay time however to create a fitting atmosphere, and I also feel that Luca Blight played a very key role in that atmosphere. Suikoden I, unfortunately, didn't have any impactful villains, but it definitely was a great start that has been improved upon with each passing game (for the most part).

As for dialogue, well, it was good for it's time, but, if it's riddled with Engrish and bad translations unfortunately... Medical Officer? I mean... c'mon. However, Suikoden II and even Suikoden III aren't without some bad translations and Engrish, luckily they got better over time.
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

Only thing i can say is dont judge a book by its cover, being one of the worst game covers ive seen, its definitly not the worst game ive ever played, in fact it ties with my #1 rpg. If you want a good game with good gameplay and a game you can play again and again down the road. This is it a great start of a great series.
Last edited by lucreborn on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
pogoss

Post by pogoss »

the first one has always a special taste especially when it's an exellent serie .
the first one is kinda my favorite one , the characters , the musique and the mood . I've played it many time for that .
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

It may not have the greatest graphics in the world (or for that matter translations and original storylines) but it certainly makes up for these deficiencies with a certain charm that makes you forget them and enjoy the game for what it is.
Raging Barows Brat

Post by Raging Barows Brat »

I agree with those who say the first was their favorite. Mine too. The characters, the story, the music, all of it. Admittedly the translations are hilarious in some places, but it's easy to overlook, as has been pointed out. I somehow didn't feel that II had the charm that the first one had. Yes it was longer and had many of the annoying problems that burdened the first ironed out, but it just never seemed to contain the same emotion and sense of warmth as the first. Maybe it's because the original was my introduction to the series.

And graphics be damned, no other game has ever brought me to tears. I'll never forget my first experience with this one, and playing it over is like visiting a very old friend. With bad English skills. ;)
Alcholism is a disease, but it's like the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. "Dammit, Otto, you're an alcoholic." "Dammit, Otto, you have lupus." One of those two doesn't sound right. --Mitch Hedberg
nocturne1337

Post by nocturne1337 »

Its an awesome game. Ive played all the traditional Suikodens and beat all fo them except 4 and The first one has so much soul in it...

The music is great and theres some cool characters, albeit most characters are not developed at all.

Plus i still dont get why the main character fights for the liberation army...i mean i know hes a fugitive etc but he has no solid reason to be fighting them and even kill his own father because of it.
'and it was like knocking four quick times on the door of unhappieness'
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Great Music, Amazing Storyline, Incredible Gameplay, Interesting Characters. It has it all 10/10 everytime for Suikoden 1.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
tengaar

Post by tengaar »

The best game ever made...right after Suikoden II.
You're a fool to go without me.
Gamer1826

Post by Gamer1826 »

Right, well... I'd hate to be the instigator of any argument, but I personally didn't feel the "emotion" that most people did. Actually, few games I've played stand out that way. Don't get me wrong, I'm the sort of guy that owns half a dozen chick flicks (and watches them on about a thrice yearly basis!). I've even cried during a couple games. But Suikoden just didn't do it for me. In my honest opinion, the music didn't add to the emotional effect either. Sure, it was exotic, but everything got so repetitive after a while. During a few of the more so called "emotional" scenes, the music was the same tragic theme that it was throughout the entire game. This kinda proved to kill the effect.

*Hides in a corner before somebody kills him*

EDIT: Ah, I feel the need to clear this up a bit more. The game had it's moments, but all and all I simply found some scenes to be disappointing. Odessa and Mathiu's departures had me going for a bit, since they, along with Flik and Viktor, stuck out as my favorite characters. But other things, such as Teo and Ted, failed on several levels to demonstrate the proper emotional attatchment. The thought of losing somebody like that is disheartening, but there wasn't enough character developement or time for me to become connected to the characters. This might be because I've never lost a father or a close friend, but nonetheless, it simply didn't do it for me.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i have a question.. did you spoil the game by seeing that you can have Pahn kick Teo's ass and revive Gremio? first time i played, i was not aware of it and was not using Pahn... so Teo kills him, which is pretty sad, and Gremio actually dies to save the Young Master.
Gamer1826

Post by Gamer1826 »

Nope. Not at all. Even if that was the case, something like that would probably just make everything twice as sad, since I would treasure the time that I had with the certain character.