[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden I

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden I

Post by Sasarai10 »

Now that i have played this game up to the point where you rescued Liukan and fought against Milich's army,i would say that this game is a classic. Still enjoyable in 2012. :)

The bad thing is that this game is VERY short. Today,i played again this game from the begining,without recruiting any optional characters or opening treasure boxes,etc,and i managed to reach to the point where you fought against Kwanda in a duel,within 3 hours.

Suikoden V,must be 3 or 4 times longer than this...
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

^
Yeah it is, I even didn't rush the game and I got all 108 and alive around 15-16 hours with only few resets. I just take much resets on Suikoden 2 in order to finish Clive's timer for 20 hours (while i just feel i play more than 60 hours to achieve that with much resets).
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I second that. I still enjoy the game in 2013, with the varnish of nostalgia on it. But it's very short, I really tried to take advantage of everything in it and I barely reached 25 hours of game before finishing it.

I feel like the pace of the game is accelerating after Neclord's defeat. There were two Great Generals left to vanquish, and they are wiped out so easily. I wish there had been more challenge with Kasim and Sonya: there's no towns to visit in their domain, no real thing to achieve before attacking them frontally and sneaking into their castles. THis is also frustrating because you don't get an occasion to enjoy playing with Kasim and Sonya: by the time they join, the game is practically done.

Would have been the perfect game if Kasim's & Sonya's domains have been as much developped as Milich's & Kwanda's
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
Would have been the perfect game if Kasim's & Sonya's domains have been as much developped as Milich's & Kwanda's
Now that you mention it, it is kind of weird that Milich had a whole bunch of towns that he got to rename, and Sonya just had a crumbling old fort next to the lake.

All of the challenge went into fighting Kwanda, where we lost the elves and had to climb over mountains and through a dungeon to convince a stubborn dwarf chief to help us, and Milich had us contending with giant poisonous flowers and faffing about with boats and sneaking into a prison, then when it came to Sonya, it was like "we've got the dragons, lets go kick her ass and tell her how cute she is while we're at it."
CookieSkoon

Post by CookieSkoon »

I have played Suikoden so many times now that, just like with Chrono Trigger (another personal favorite), I have begun to notice all the cracks and nitpicks out of a place of love.

Things I would like to see improved on in a remake that will never happen (or might someday but be totally botched).

If I thought about it long enough I could assemble an entire list of things about Suikoden I would personally change or expound upon. In favor to the latter, as a good redux of this title would see expanded lore where it was in short supply originally (whether due to time or hardware constraints). That said, this may be the only place to air a few of these observations- and I reiterate, this comes from a place of affection and repeated plays.

Graphically the environments should be up-scaled (in reference to buildings mostly) and decorated better. A no-brainer here, Suikoden II did this very well for the most part and seeing that same care and eye for detail applied to the original would be wonderful. As an example, Antei's BGM is far more epic than Antei itself. A city really worth re-drawing.

More explanation on how exactly the forest of Moran is meant to work. The only accessible path to the region wherein sits Pannu Yakuta being obscured by Elf-biased no-no magic makes exactly none sense considering that this region is occupied and owned by the Scarlet Moon empire. Beyond that, it is also populated by plenty of non-elves and ol' P-Y is the origin fortress of the force originally lead by Barby boy himself, in lore. Clearly the empire and empire-to-be was able to, rather effectively, march entire armies from Pannu to inner Toran with relative ease.

Also on the note of Pannu Yakuta, the Scenarios given to the other three dungeon-having generals should be expanded to match or surpass Kwanda's. Likewise, the generals should interact with and be aware of each other more once allied (or on putting some to death, the survivors notice). ALSO, just why the black rune was only given to Kwanda and Milich is never really explained in a satisfactory fashion. Sonya, Kasim, and Teo are all curiously free of it.

Those points are the few that occupy my mind the most when I think of how to improve Suikoden 1. This kind of thing is what remakes should be for, in my opinion. Not just cash grabs (looking at YOU, SquareEnix).
Would really love a faithful (still in 2D) remake of the first two Suikoden titles. Too bad Konami is... Konami.