Ledon and Kessler

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
sticky-runes

Ledon and Kessler

Post by sticky-runes »

I only just started wondering about this, but what would have happened to us if we weren't accompanied by Odessa when we stayed at Ledon's inn?

Would Ledon have killed us and dumped our bodies somewhere? Is there a pile of corpses at the bottom of Mount Tigerwolf where Ledon's previous victims met a sticky end?

These guys seem a lot more sinister than Varkas and Sydonia, who's followers claim to only rob from the Imperials and come off as completely innocent once we confront Grady, who was the true tax thief. Ledon and Kessler had no qualms about robbing random wary travelers, regardless of whether they were loyal to the Imperials or not.

(On a side note: Come to think of it, that money I took from the chests in Grady's mansion should probably have been given to the villagers... :shock:)
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Ledon and Kessler

Post by wataru14 »

I've thought that, too. I doubt Ledon would have been in business very long if he just let his drugged victims leave in the morning. Unless the just usually escaped during the night and laid low for a while before coming back after the heat had died down. I always assumed "drugged" tea was a softening of "poisoned" tea. Anyone know what it says in the original Japanese?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes. In the Water Margin, Li Li (the same star as Ledon) drugs the people and butchers them. From Wikipedia:

"Li Li runs an inn on the ridge, where he serves his guests food and drinks spiked with drugs, and robs them when they are unconscious. He will also butcher them to make fillings in meat bun out of their flesh."
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Eeeeewwwwwww he was a bit of a Sweeny Todd then.

Kessler seemed quite insistent about Ledon making an antidote, so its possible that the group might not have woken up from the drug. The drug or poison might have eventually killed them. Kessler says if anything happens to Odessa he will cut Ledon's head off. Ledon also says that he almost committed his life's gravest error, but whether he was more worried about Odessa dying from the tea or having his head cut off by Kessler, I'm not sure. The game was quite good at distracting me from what almost happened.

Or else the drug might have worn off naturally, and the antidote just woke them up sooner.

Let's not forget that Krin also tried the same trick in Kouan, and the group made him drink the tea instead. It doesn't kill him, just seems to make him drowsy. Maybe Krin used a lighter version of the same drug. It's easier to imagine that Krin would have just robbed us and run off. Ledon was at risk of having a bunch of pissed off people waking up in his inn so he would have had to prepare for that.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

If you had read the novel you’d know they are based on brutal characters, not just Ledon. As for S1, many characters and many plot elements are very close to the novel. Interestingly, the German release of S1 has an age restriction of 12+ whereas the others have 6+. I mean there are not just indications of beheadings like in S2, you actually get the choice to cut off heads. But I’m not sure whether that’s one of the reasons why.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Cannibalism is sort of a common theme in literature from the same era. Romance of the Three Kingdoms also has a similar episode, where Liu Bei seeks refuge in the house of a hunter called Liu An (this was after he escaped from Lu Bu and was heading to the protection of Cao Cao). Liu An had nothing in his house to treat Liu Bei, so he killed his wife and made a feast for Liu Bei. Liu An explained it was boar meat, but Liu Bei found the dead wife's body in the kitchen, much to his shock. He wept "in appreciation for the great hospitality" and later on explains this story to Cao Cao. Cao Cao says Liu An is a man of great honor and filial piety, and sends a messenger to Liu An with a gift of 100 gold pieces. Clearly, this was a different time...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Clearly... How bad would the corrupt government have to be if we were recruiting cannibals and wife killers to help us overthrow them?!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I was just wondering what's the relationship between Krin and Ledon. They look alike, yet they've never interacted with each other during the game.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I don't think there's any relationship/association between Ledon and Krin, they just have similar roles and shifty personalities, and if there's any physical resemblance between them (I didn't really notice) it's probably just the artist drawing them in a similar manner.

It's a bit strange seeing Giovanni lined up alongside the two of them, though. He doesn't really strike me as a thief, as he seems to make an honest living working as Lepant's butler. I guess that was the only slot available for him in the major battles.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Also, does Krin even drink the tea? IIRC the team sees through his ruse, tells him to drink it first, then Viktor starts fronting and Cleo calls him out on it. Screen goes dark and when we return Krin is tied up. The game never says he drinks it.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I always assumed he did drink it because he's asleep after the screen turns black. Unless he just fell asleep while they had him tied up in bed, or they knocked him out and then tied him up. But having him present a drugged tea and then falling asleep after being told to drink it makes me assume he drank it.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

By the way, I've just started reading The Water Margine this week. I'm surprised by how fast paced it is (the version I'm reading any way) and I like how it shifts from one character to the next.
The chapter with Lu da staying at the monastery is fantastic!