Quick Question Regarding Fire Rune Piece and Double Beat Rune

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
TheyCallMeStacy

Quick Question Regarding Fire Rune Piece and Double Beat Rune

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

I am going to start my own self-imposed Suikoden challenge run, and have two questions I want to resolve before playing.

Has anyone tested to see if the Fire Rune piece 5% damage boost also applies to unite attacks or command runes such as Valeria's or Ronnie's? I know if the enemy is weak to the fire element the fire rune piece boosts damage from unites and command runes due to elemental weakness. However, I just want to know if the 5% boost only applies to regular attacks (ie would falcon rune with fire rune piece do 315% damage compared to regular attack with no rune piece).

Also, does anyone know if the double beat rune's double damage if counterattacked applies to this game? I remember watching a vid of a boss battle with Sonya, and when Viktor with a double beat rune got counterattacked, he seemed to take regular damage (strangely, the double beat rune then let him attempt to attack again, even though Sonya's counterattack killed him.)

I do not have my own save yet to test this out, so I would appreciate if someone could figure this out. Thank you!
borjitasstoi

Re: Quick Question Regarding Fire Rune Piece and Double Beat Rune

Post by borjitasstoi »

your question is based in gensou suikoden I&II version in relation for 255 fire runes pieces?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the question is just using 1 Fire Rune piece, since Falcon Rune's attack does 300% damage. The Fire Rune Piece adds 5% damage, so when that's multiplied by Falcon the final result should use 315% base attack. I personally haven't tested the Fire Rune's damage boost, but I can tell you for certain that elements are considered in Unite attacks, so they will do extra damage from the attacker who has an element that the enemy is weak to.
TheyCallMeStacy

Thanks KFC! I actually did my play through a couple of weeks ago. I went ahead and put it on Valeria, and tried some testing on some enemies that were not weak to fire, comparing before and after damage, but since physical damage varies quite a bit in this game, unlike magical damage, it was hard for me to find out if the 5% damage boost applied or not. It definitely boosted her damage by 50% vs enemies that were weak to fire, though.

More interesting was the double beat rune. It seems to be very bugged in this game. I noticed that while it doesn't give you an extra attack on single enemies in random battles, it did grant an extra attack against Neclord and the Crystal Core when equipped to Lorelai and Milia, respectively. However, I know when Viktor had it equipped vs Ain Gide it didn't give a second attack, and I've seen videos of people who have it on Viktor during the Neclord battle and it doesn't do so either. I also know that when enemies were close in speed to Viktor in the final dungeon (specifically the Imperial soldiers), he never got a second attack in, since the game would let the mirages attack at the same time as his attack animation played. I also know that when I had it equipped to Kasim, and he attacked after a Krin with a spark rune attacked, he did not get a second attack. I have the game footage recorded, so I'll try to upload it one day so us Suikoden fanatics can see it. Haha, it just goes to show how fun it is to analyze a game that is about 20 years old and still find out about certain quirks and game mechanics.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the Double-Beat Rune in this game only works to target 2 different enemies.
TheyCallMeStacy

KFCrispy wrote:the Double-Beat Rune in this game only works to target 2 different enemies.
That's what I thought, but on my recent play through certain characters got to attack bosses twice with the double beat rune. I uploaded footage from two of these fights where this happened.

Neclord boss fight (Lorelai with Double Beat Rune):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnCDtSdSIqk

Crystal Core boss fight (Milia with Double Beat Rune):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEYBPxvoHs

Compare with Punkaiser's Neclord battle, where Viktor had the double beat rune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRW3W3wkw7E

I didn't test this on any other bosses since I mainly used magic on them. I do know that against regular enemies these characters couldn't attack the same enemy,
so it seems that only against certain bosses, certain characters can get a second attack.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

interesting behavior with Double-Beat. i probably only ever had it on Viktor since he was a required member in so many points in the game, so my experience was the same as in Punkaiser's vid. but perhaps the range of the character affects how it works? it would seem M and L characters will always attack twice in some fashion.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

One day I will revisit this game and try to figure out the Double-Beat "rules". Perhaps the 1 attack from Viktor is due to his S range or slow speed, so those are the 2 factors I would look into to see who can and cannot attack a boss twice.
TheyCallMeStacy

That would be fun to learn about! Yeah I myself was surprised when I was able to attack bosses twice with certain characters. It's always fun when we are still learning about hidden mechanics and such about games that are over two decades old.