Level 1 Hero run

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
KoLAddict

Level 1 Hero run

Post by KoLAddict »

I'm just pass the Dwarven Vault with a level 1 Hero, so I can get some of the characters to come at level 99. I was wondering, even if I abuse the hell out of the rune piece trick, is it even possible to beat Kwanda at level 1?
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Level 1 Hero run

Post by Celes »

It is. I've done that even without the rune piece exploit by farming a lot of defense rune pieces from enemies:
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 50#p109802
KoLAddict

Post by KoLAddict »

Ooh thanks. I read your first post but I didn't go through the whole thing because it's such a huge thread. That's good to know!

Another thing, if I keep Hero at level 1 until I get everyone, the characters that come -2 levels, will they be 99 too or will it loop to 98?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

They'll be 99. You're exploiting a bug called variable underflow. In a single-byte variable 1 - 2 = 0xFF and unless it's kept sign-extended that will be seen as 255, and then adjusted to the 99 upper limit. Doing underflow in decimal and within the bounds expected by the game, where subtracting 2 from 1 would behave as though 0 doesn't exist, winding up at 98, would require the coders to actually implement that behavior. So it wouldn't be a bug. It would be exactly what they intended.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

The link above goes to a specific post, not the first one in the thread. The relevant information is in that post.

If the starting lv. is calculated <1 or >99, it will always result in lv. 99.
KoLAddict

Post by KoLAddict »

Thanks you two!

New (and final) question regarding the bug. Is it possible to defeat Teo at level 1? Or has that not been tested?

I just realized I'm about to do the Major Battle after getting the Fire Spears, which involves that, and I don't know if it's possible to do. If I Defense Stone trick max defense then put great gear on, maybe? I have to go to bed now for work tonight, but I'll be messing with it tomorrow to see if it's possible if you haven't tested it out.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

It is all about ATK and ARM in the duels. Use the guide on this website to determine the next attack and Teo's stats.
ATK = Weapon + PWR
ARM = Armor + DEF
KoLAddict

Post by KoLAddict »

Thanks. Teo has 240 ATK so I just need to get 240+ for ARM to knock his attacks to 1 dmg. That's not too bad.

Thanks Celes!
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

At this point the best euipment would be Head Gear, Dragon Armor, Guard Ring and Goldlet for a total of 81 armor defense.
sporefrog

Post by sporefrog »

@KoLAddict

you can not only beat Teo,you can even reach the end of the game with a level 1 hero,if you want.I did this in a specific challenge around 2,5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grfNu2c0J8

I had 281 ARM,which made Teo completely harmless.you see my stats right after the Teo battle in the video at minute 2:35.