what would you change about the soul eater

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: what would you change about the soul eater

Post by Wolkendrache »

The "Let Go" option mostly gets available when you're almost done with the dungeon. You're mostly fighting groups of enemies of varying levels, so the weaker ones will be swallowed (after half of the dungeon or so), while the stronger will be damaged. As soon as even the latter have lower levels than Tir ("Let Go" became available), the dungeon is (almost) finished, and the only reason to come back is to make money or hunt for items, and I don't know how useful it is if you choose to "Let Go" all the time.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Mmh yes I see your point. But still, it would be only a barely useful attack. Perhaps it could be in another, specific rune but I doubt I would enjoy it as part of Soul Eater.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Let it go... Let it go...

Sorry, that song is being played everywhere these days.

In the non-existent remake of Suikoden 1, there may be groups of enemies with varying strengths, i.e. big monster accompanied by weaker monsters so you can use soul eater to wipe out the little ones and have the other characters focus on killing the bigger enemies.

Also when you let enemies go, you miss out on items and moneys. Suikoden 4 had the slash rune which gives the slash command that instantly wipes out weaker enemies instead of releasing them, so we still get their potch, items and a tiny bit of experience. This was handy for collecting materials for custom armour and accessories, with less fuss. And in my imaginary remake of Suikoden 1, all the blacksmiths have Adrienne's ability to craft different sets of armour from bits of dead monsters, so you don't wanna let enemies go in my version of the game.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Darkness rune is arguably more useful than it's mother rune against bosses. Final Judgement is one of the best level 4 magics out there, but Final Bell is better than Hell. I'd also like to replace Finger of Death with Stealer of Souls in level 1 magic.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

How about turning DF and Hell into damaging spells, BUT with a chance of Instant Death?

IIRC, the Black Sword Rune's Twinkling Blade damages all enemies, with chance of Instant Death. That way, you can still use both spells on bosses even if Instant Death doesn't work on them anymore.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.