Warehouse limits

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Warehouse limits

Post by Sasarai10 »

I've got 2 questions:

-How many items can you store from each kind? I stored over 100 6-pack medicines (a total of 600) and still the counter goes on
-How many different items can you store? I'm at the page #15 now.

Guess why i'm asking :mrgreen: I just want to see if Rock has a comment like "warehouse is full" :P
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Warehouse limits

Post by wataru14 »

There is no limit to the number of different item types. I'm guessing the quantity limit is 255. Video games seem to like that number.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Why would individual item quantity even matter? Medicine6 takes as much space as a Tunic in the warehouse, doesn't it?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:Why would individual item quantity even matter? Medicine6 takes as much space as a Tunic in the warehouse, doesn't it?

yep,but i guess Rock could make a comment about that you cannot store anymore of this item or sth like that :wink:

wataru14 wrote:There is no limit to the number of different item types. I'm guessing the quantity limit is 255. Video games seem to like that number.
really? i thought it'll be 999 because it's the last 3-digit number :|
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

yep,but i guess Rock could make a comment about that you cannot store anymore of this item or sth like that :wink:
Yeah, but why would he?

The 999 limit seems plausible. But even if it is limited, in the end you would get just the "not possible" sound and that's it, I doubt he'll give a comment.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

254 of each item/rune/armor.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Celes wrote:254 of each item/rune/armor.

thanks!! any hidden comment? :|
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

255 is the largest number you can store in a byte. That's why earlier games seem to love it: Space was precious. That's also why Suikoden has historically done things like packing item fields together, e.g., adding 128 to the item ID number makes it an "unidentified" item. Having a separate field to flag the item as a mystery wastes 7 bits per item. Upping the storage limit to 999 means doubling the space required to store that number (or doing dodgy, complicated packed fields), and 6 of the extra bits allocated will never be used. Might as well go with something 255 or less, since nobody playing normally is likely to dedicate the time required to test the limit.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Sasarai10 wrote:thanks!! any hidden comment? :|
No. If I remember right, he says the same thing as for trying to store an unidentified ornament or permanent equipped item.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Celes wrote:No. If I remember right, he says the same thing as for trying to store an unidentified ornament or permanent equipped item.

Manage to reach the max number per item (it's 254) and he says "Don't embarass me" 8)

So i guess there must be another one if you fill up all pages available with different kinds of item
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Sasarai10 wrote:
Celes wrote:No. If I remember right, he says the same thing as for trying to store an unidentified ornament or permanent equipped item.

Manage to reach the max number per item (it's 254) and he says "Don't embarass me" 8)

So i guess there must be another one if you fill up all pages available with different kinds of item
If I remember correctly, that's what he also says if you try putting in a "?" ornament or the Blinking Mirror.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Pretty sure you're right. Although, I could have sworn he said it when you tried to put in partially depleted stacks of medicine, so I don't know that my memory adds much.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

bluemask wrote:that's what he also says if you try putting in a "?" ornament or the Blinking Mirror.
You can deposit the Blinking Mirror without a problem.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

wataru14 wrote:
bluemask wrote:that's what he also says if you try putting in a "?" ornament or the Blinking Mirror.
You can deposit the Blinking Mirror without a problem.
Oh crap, you're right :oops: .

Tried testing some more, Rock says the same thing when placing a locked equipment such as Eileen's Star Earrings.