NPC quotes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

NPC quotes

Post by Sasarai10 »

Where can we find a list with every NPC's quote? Some of them have more than one. For example that guy outside the Lenankamp inn will have 3-4 different quotes or that guy from the Warrior's Village will have a different quote if you bring Flik along. But the problem is not those NPC who'll change their quote after a certain arc...but those who have a different quote when you fetch a certain character,like Flik in Warrior's Village. It'll be really confusing if we discover it on our own...so anyone who can rip them off? :?:
Antimatzist

Re: NPC quotes

Post by Antimatzist »

Why will it be confusing? We have a list where we can find these quotes. So just write them down.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:Why will it be confusing? We have a list where we can find these quotes. So just write them down.
Because if there are other characters like that guy from Warrior's Village who will change his uote if you bring Flik with you....then imagine how confusing it'll be to check everyone else with different characters in your party each time :|
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

We can extract the whole text out of the different areas. But even then, it is hard to tell whether it can been seen in the game or not. We have already confirmed a lot of text that cannot be triggered, like endlng lines and battle quotes. There are even unfinished maps and items. This is common stuff for most games. And even if we did, it would be hard to tell what the actual trigger is.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, the text is completely without context in the files. You'd have to parse every event script in the game to determine that, and even then, the event scripts can be dead code as well.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Celes wrote:We can extract the whole text out of the different areas. But even then, it is hard to tell whether it can been seen in the game or not. We have already confirmed a lot of text that cannot be triggered, like endlng lines and battle quotes. There are even unfinished maps and items. This is common stuff for most games. And even if we did, it would be hard to tell what the actual trigger is.

true that, but it'd be interesting if we could see this :D
as far as i've seen some NPC will change their quote after each arc is finished. for example villagers in Kouan will change it once Kraze is defeated
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

When I say it's without context, you can't even tell who says a thing without referencing the event scripts. As much as it might appeal to your OCD, dumping the text isn't a shortcut to figuring out what characters or NPCs change dialog during given time frames. By itself, a line like, "Wow, Kraze sure does love his rape!" might be interesting regardless of who says it, but, "thank you for beating Kraze!" is much less so. You don't know who says it; you don't know when they say it, unless it references a specific occurrence in the story; you don't even know if anyone actually uses the line.

If you want to grab raw text dumps, knock yourself out, but it's not much use as a "guide". If there's random, unused text in there that details a hitherto untold sub-plot, that would qualify (like the character descriptions in the Suikoden III executable), but stuff about the weather would just be wasted space.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

that's what i do. after each arc i go to every town to check any new dialogues,and talk to everyone in my HQ. But i noticed that some quotes are totally out of the blue.

For example now i'm at the point after defeating Teo,and a guy in Seika's inn still believes that Odessa is alive. I think Odessa's death became known in public after Flik's arrival,correct?

Also some characters quotes are wrong too. If Anji was killed for example Leonardo will still say the same quote....that he works for Anji and Anji alone :P shouldn't he have a different quote? :|
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

They get your point but the problem is that, all of the dialogues when extracted, would be rubbish. You won't know who said what.

Unless of course, you simply want to read everything without knowing who said it, then it won't be a problem, I guess.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

bluemask wrote:
Unless of course, you simply want to read everything without knowing who said it, then it won't be a problem, I guess.

That's it. Because besides that,i'll learn which dialogue exists in the game and which one doesn't do. :|
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Also some characters quotes are wrong too. If Anji was killed for example Leonardo will still say the same quote....that he works for Anji and Anji alone :P shouldn't he have a different quote? :|
These quotes were extracted from the game directly afaik. So they are not wrong.
That's it. Because besides that,i'll learn which dialogue exists in the game and which one doesn't do. :|
You'd do the same thign when you visit every town after every arc. What the others mean is: If you extract the dialogues, you will probably get A LOT of dialogues. Maybe only 70% of thse are actually used in the game. So you don't really know which ones are used.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I'm just trying to view EVERY single comment available around the game. ;) And i'm worried if i miss something
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

So you're worried you could miss a quote that's just in the game's code, but not actually viewable in the game?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:So you're worried you could miss a quote that's just in the game's code, but not actually viewable in the game?

I mean i'm afraid that i'll miss a quote which needs a certain character in order to activate it. Like that one in Warrior's Village with Flik. That's why i want to see it all.... :|