Onil

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Onil

Post by wataru14 »

Has anyone ever compiled a list of the things Onil says throughout the game? Either by writing them down or through datamining? I know one for Taki was done on the S2 board. I've rarely been able to see her gossip quotes since she only says things while you are in the middle of plot missions.
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Onil

Post by Celes »

I can do that. Give me a few days.

By all means: The comments are disordered in the game. I guess this is a matter of pointers.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Kind of. I mean, there are pointers to the strings, but those pointers are stored in arbitrarily-sized arrays, that are further referenced by an arbitrarily-sized array of pointers, and I think there are no counts or sizes kept. It sort of looks like this:

Code: Select all

MainDialogPointer -> DialogArrayPointer1 -> Below
DialogArrayPointer2
DialogArrayPointer3

DialogArrayPointer1 -> DialogPointer101
DialogPointer102
DialogPointer150

Each DialogPointer simply points to a string of characters.
The thing is, the dialogs are referenced in the scripts by "(ArrayPointer #), (DialogPointer #)". Which is why it's a huge pain in the ass to figure out context from the data alone. You have to be able to parse the scripts to know what's going on, and where each dialog is used. I don't know how they were organized in the source files, but the results are more of a mess than I would have expected.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

When you recruit her after getting your HQ she'll make a comment about Sonya...but yet she won't make any comments about recruitable characters at the point like Marie Antonio or Lorelai...anyone triggered sth like that?
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Default quote:

Heard anything interesting lately?
Story related quotes:

Hey, did you know that beyond the Great Forest is the Village of the Elves? The Forest Village is southeast of Kouan.
You know what? Inside the Dwarves' Vault there's a secret treasure called the Running Water Root.
Guess what? Upriver from the village of Rikon, there lives a famous pharmacist named Liukan.
Master Mathiu's upstairs.
Apparently an old friend of Mathiu's lives in Antei.
Did you hear about Liu Kan? Apparently he's been thrown in Soniere Prison.
I heard that Flik is originally from the Lorimar area.
Did you know that west of the Warriors' Village there's a historic temple?
Say, did you know that Neclord's favorite paintings are? "Peasant Girl", "Girl in the Early Afternoon" and "Chestnut Tree", in that order? But his most favorite is his own painting.
I heard about you guys. You're going to the Dragon Knights' Domain, right? The entrance to the Domain is northwest of Antei.
I heard that Liukan's medicines can wake a sleeping dragon. Maybe I should ask him for a pill that can restore my youth.
You've come back. I heard that you went to befriend the Dragon Knights.
Planning to attack the North? You're on a winning streak, eh?
I've heard that the protector of Shazarazade, whose name is Sonya, is very beautiful. Do you suppose she's better looking than me?
Apparently there's a very rich fellow by the name of Lepant who lives in Kouan. Kouan? It's southwest of Kaku.
They say a very powerful Imperial general is going to attack us soon. I heard this from a girl named Kasumi.
I heard the news. Don't lose hope. The best thing to do at a time like this is to go to your room and get plenty of sleep.
Flik is all excited about something
I've heard that you came into possession of a Fire Spear. I thought Kun To of Kirov was going to deliver...
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Excellent! Thanks, Celes.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Thanks Celes!! so it appears there are no quotes for optional recruits like Deborah did in S4?
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

I can't believe how detailed her knowledge is... Now why isn't she the strategist of Liberation Army??