How much possible is to recruit enemy troops?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

How much possible is to recruit enemy troops?

Post by Sasarai10 »

Every time i use the "Merchants" unit i fail,except during the first battle with Teo where it succeeded twice. I even have a lot of money,but still i cannot recruit them...what's going on here? :|
Antimatzist

Re: How much possible is to recruit enemy troops?

Post by Antimatzist »

It's based on chance, I think, I could always get some troops in some battles iirc.
sporefrog

Post by sporefrog »

Antimatzist wrote:It's based on chance, I think, I could always get some troops in some battles iirc.
every war battle have a few fixed patterns,and if you are unlucky(and that means,the rng is against you),you will never recruit troops.

if you retry,DONT hard reset(turn of console),do a soft reset,so the rng may change and you will have another battle pattern.

if nothing works,try a few critical hits and use the merchants afterwards,because the merchants will succeed more often,if you play "good" and dont loose any troops.this could be random too of course,but this happend ALLWAYS in my insane challenge run.I could never recruit any troops before inflicting heavy damage to the enemy.
oh yeah,those merchants are your only hope to win those war battles in a minimum recruitment/maximum war battle death-run :D

but wait,you dont play any kind of challenge at the moment,so you dont even need the merchants to win,right?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sporefrog wrote: but wait,you dont play any kind of challenge at the moment,so you dont even need the merchants to win,right?

Actually i want to get every single item except the special items...including armors,runes,etc....view all bath scenes,and keeping everyone alive. Also i'm trying to have the maximum number of characters during each war battle. I wonder how many men each character counts....is it written somewhere? If i remember well,for example in the final battle with Milich if you have recruited everyone,up to the point here...you will have a little over 10k men,but if you have only recruited the non-optional characters,then your number will be sth less than 7k.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I don't know any online guide that has it, but maybe it is in the official Japanese guide? You could also maybe use a gameshark to get that info.
sporefrog

Post by sporefrog »

well,go into a war battle and look at your troops.reset,recruit someone and go into that battle again,and you will see the difference;-)

I can only show you my most closest battle(maybe the clostest battle EVER...).I surived with only 13(!!!)units against kwanda with 1 death(eileen).I never saw a win with such ridiculous low amount of soldiers before.the battle against yuber was also very close.2 deaths(valeria and alen) and 73 remaining troops,lol:
Image Image
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Eileen, Valeria, and Alen all died? That's a lot of Magic attacks used against you by generals who don't use Magic often. I'm guessing these battles went on for a really long time.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sporefrog wrote:well,go into a war battle and look at your troops.reset,recruit someone and go into that battle again,and you will see the difference;-)

I'll do it in another playthrough...but for many non-optional characters,it's very hard to judge how many men they have. So i'll do it with only the optional characters :|

wataru14 wrote:Eileen, Valeria, and Alen all died? That's a lot of Magic attacks used against you by generals who don't use Magic often. I'm guessing these battles went on for a really long time.
How many characters can you kill in a war battle? Does anybody know?
sporefrog

Post by sporefrog »

@wataru

yes,I had to try kwanda a few times and it took me endless(!) attempts against yuber to discover all of his battle patterns and win with 2 deaths.after some time,it wasnt funny anymore,but a challenge is a challenge...;-)

@sasarai

if you play a minimum recruitment game,you can kill 6 characters in the following war battles and still win:

kwanda(1 star)
northern checkpoint(1 star)
sonja(2 stars)
yuber(2 stars)

you can kill more than 6,if you play a normal playthrough,because your army is larger and you can eat more critical hits from the enemies.but its not a good idea to kill your own men,if you play this game "normally"...

have a look at my video,here you can see all 6 war battle deaths:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grfNu2c0J8