Suikoden I is actually longer than we think

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Suikoden I is actually longer than we think

Post by Sasarai10 »

Hey,yesterday i decided to replay Suikoden I ,but i wanted to extended it a little,because as all of us who have played the game know,that it's very short...you can rush the game within 4 1/2 hrs,and you can get the best ending just in 10 hrs...

But hey,except recruiting everyone,there are TONS of other things you can do in the game...for example finding the antique items,which will cost you lot of time,getting every armor available in the game,view all hidden scenes,etc...and of course talk to every single individual!!!!

I've spent 2 hrs of gameplay and i'm still at the beginning before visiting Magician's Island,chasing BonBons to get the 3 Urns....i've got Octapus and Celadon Urn,and now i'm heading for the Failure Urn.
So that means i've got a very long way to go!!!! :D
gildedtalon

Re: Suikoden I is actually longer than we think

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:you can rush the game within 4 1/2 hrs
How? You should create a youtube playlist of this game, I'm very noob at this particular Suikoden lol :P
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Sasarai10 wrote:i've got Octapus and Celadon Urn,and now i'm heading for the Failure Urn.
:wink:
sporefrog

Post by sporefrog »

Sasarai10 wrote:Hey,yesterday i decided to replay Suikoden I ,but i wanted to extended it a little,because as all of us who have played the game know,that it's very short...you can rush the game within 4 1/2 hrs,and you can get the best ending just in 10 hrs...

But hey,except recruiting everyone,there are TONS of other things you can do in the game...for example finding the antique items,which will cost you lot of time,getting every armor available in the game,view all hidden scenes,etc...and of course talk to every single individual!!!!

I've spent 2 hrs of gameplay and i'm still at the beginning before visiting Magician's Island,chasing BonBons to get the 3 Urns....i've got Octapus and Celadon Urn,and now i'm heading for the Failure Urn.
So that means i've got a very long way to go!!!! :D
I needed 40 hours for my perfect file,so you still have a lot of time :wink:
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote: How? You should create a youtube playlist of this game, I'm very noob at this particular Suikoden lol :P

I want to find the device to record my playthrough but i don't know it's name.

But it's easy if you know the game step by step,and have Stallion always in your party i guess. My time was 4:33 actually at the last save point,before fighting Golden Hydra...so i guess it would be almost 5 hrs,along with the ending lines and the last boss fight

sporefrog wrote:
I needed 40 hours for my perfect file,so you still have a lot of time :wink:

Have you done everything? Collect all ornaments, talk to everyone do all the unite attacks.etc? Though it depends heavily on luck,because i remember once when i was trying to find the Nameless Urn to recruit Jabba,it took me a full hour in order to find it!
sporefrog

Post by sporefrog »

sure,100% items,runes,stars,bath-items,...

of course,I DONT leveled up everybody to 99,because this makes no sense.I used the moravia level 95 trick one time for fu su lu just for fun(cool to have one person in the castle with over 1000hp),otherwise it was a 100% solo/duo run(mcdohl/mcdohl+kai).

i was very(!) lucky,when hunting for nameless urn and phero rune,but this damn resurrection rune drop from whip wolf was just a pain... and obtaining the mangosh wasn´t funny either... :(

EDIT:and I wanted a silver hat from queen ant at seek valley,that took me over 2 hours to get :(
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

sporefrog, you can buy Silver Hats in Gregminster 2. There's no need to get one to drop
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I do take plenty of breaks from the storyline to level up all of the characters I've recruited thus far, and try out different parties. It's also a chance to revisit some of the dungeons, and pick up some rare goodies along the way. And I don't always stick to characters with combination attacks either, I like to mix things up a bit. Like, instead of having all the elves together at all times, I might take Sylvina out with some other girly characters. Ruby is quite a roguish character anyway, so I like to mix him with other non-elf characters. I hardly ever use all the pirates together, Kanak is my favourite, so I'll mix him up with some other characters like Hellion or Mina. Its fun to pick characters who contrast each other, instead of using characters who compliment each other all the time.

You can kind of role-play your own mini-quests as well, like what would happen if Lepant wanted sheena to explore the cave at Qlon Temple? Who would you send with him? What if Kwanda wanted to take some of your recruits out to test their skill against various monsters? And imagine what kind of dialogue they'd have with each other. It's boring just to play the game from A to B.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:I do take plenty of breaks from the storyline to level up all of the characters I've recruited thus far, and try out different parties. It's also a chance to revisit some of the dungeons, and pick up some rare goodies along the way. And I don't always stick to characters with combination attacks either, I like to mix things up a bit. Like, instead of having all the elves together at all times, I might take Sylvina out with some other girly characters. Ruby is quite a roguish character anyway, so I like to mix him with other non-elf characters. I hardly ever use all the pirates together, Kanak is my favourite, so I'll mix him up with some other characters like Hellion or Mina. Its fun to pick characters who contrast each other, instead of using characters who compliment each other all the time.

You can kind of role-play your own mini-quests as well, like what would happen if Lepant wanted sheena to explore the cave at Qlon Temple? Who would you send with him? What if Kwanda wanted to take some of your recruits out to test their skill against various monsters? And imagine what kind of dialogue they'd have with each other. It's boring just to play the game from A to B.

Yeah of course,that's the good thing with Suikoden,that you can make up your mini side-quests,even if they don't included in the game...but personally i like using characters who are related with each other...for example i like using Lepant family alltogether,or the 5 blacksmiths together...they have a strong combo too,but unfortunately there is a limited time that you can use all of them :(
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I don't like rushing through RPGs, and don't see how or why someone would want to rush through Suikoden in 4 1/2 hours. I've played through the game SEVERAL times, and read all dialog, farm for items, and grind a lot. My playthroughs usually average around 15-20 hours.

Rushing an RPG in 4 hours is like saying, "I'm gonna watch this great movie, but I'm gonna mute my television and fast-forward through 90% of it." What's the point?
PSN: FreshMetal80
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

freshmetal wrote:I don't like rushing through RPGs, and don't see how or why someone would want to rush through Suikoden in 4 1/2 hours. I've played through the game SEVERAL times, and read all dialog, farm for items, and grind a lot. My playthroughs usually average around 15-20 hours.

Rushing an RPG in 4 hours is like saying, "I'm gonna watch this great movie, but I'm gonna mute my television and fast-forward through 90% of it." What's the point?

I just wanted to finish the game with as less characters as possible,and besides that it's like a "time attack" challenge...isn't it?