Bug Fixes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
ninjaluc79

Bug Fixes

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Hi everyone.

As you know, while not as buggy as Suikoden II, Suikoden I has a rather interesting bug which makes Earth Mages useless.

Clay Guardian and Guardian Earth, which supposedly increases DEF, does not work.

Although, the game is still easy to beat, anyway.

So, I wanted to know if there's a way to fix these bugs and if S1 also had other bugs than this one.

Thanks.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by KFCrispy »

-some other spell descriptions are slightly incorrect.
-there's the ultra cheap Bribe Glitch that lets you skip every battle including the final boss. http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7827
-we also know about the unlimited Escape Talisman for those who have one as initial equipment. http://suikosource.com/games/gs1/secrets/
-there's also the stat stone trick that doesn't seem to work for some versions of the game. http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6736
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I knew there are characters with unlimited Escape Talisman item. Krin is one of them, I think. But frankly, I never had real use of that because there are plot-critical dungeons you can't escape from, such as Neclord's Castle and Gregminster Castle.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
tanis487

Post by tanis487 »

I am having trouble with when I start a fight my entire back row is laying down as if dead while they have full life. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

are you using gameshark codes?
tanis487

Post by tanis487 »

Well yes I am. And I was fairly certain they were the cause I am curious if there is a fix without having to start over.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i would stop using those codes because they are obviously causing problems and rest at an inn to hopefully reset the characters' HP/status
tanis487

Post by tanis487 »

Already tried that one.
oops

Post by oops »

Try changing party members if possible. Also perhaps changing the formation? Not that I will think it will do anything, however just a thought.
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

Weird ending screen(need some investigation):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljvbb6t5F1Y&t=1m15s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0wY0EpgQ04&t=4m30s

Also, I should point out that a french team of "romhacker" actually made a patch for the PAL version of suikoden I. Here's the translated changelog from the readme.txt :
Version 1.2
-----------
- Bug in the dragon fortress (messed up text) FIXED.
- Fixed several translation issue

Version 1.1
-----------
- Bug with graphics FIXED (castle, the behind of some messed up sprite)
- Bug crash in castle lvl 1 FIXED
- Fixed some translation issue
- Bugs with while trying to "select" some stuff FIXED
- Bug Merchant/Rune/Blacksmith FIXED (menu, text, item list, etc...)
- Fixed some text issue in battles and dual
- Retranslated some object name (according to other game in the later series)
- Translated for some other name (like the shopkeeper in the great forest, etc..)
- Translated the name of the monster
- Translated the old books
- Kirkis became a male
- Translated the money (bits -> potch).
- Translated dialog in the secret factory
- The blacksmith has now a limit level (before you could level up your weapon to an unlimited level)
- The shopkeeper won't sell anymore some item that they weren't supposed to sell

Version 1.0b
------------
- Bug crash while escaping Gregminster FIXED
- Fixed severals bugs and translation issue

Version 1.0a
------------
First translation of the game, but now obselete by 1.0b
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Not a whole lot of bugs in this one. I'm in the process of playing through it again, partly for giggles, and partly to build up a set of test saves, and a final save for importing into a new test-run of the second game. As time permits, I'll look into the bugs listed. I'm also thinking of making some small improvements, such as providing a bigger wallet:

Konami hard-coded the limit everywhere, I think. If they did anything to centralize the max value, they at least let people code the limit check however they wanted, so actually getting this to behave everywhere is going to take some doing just on that end. There are also custom ToString type functions that are a little weird. They have a hard-coded limit of 6-7 characters on output (I forget which), and it returns a requested substring from the right end of it.

Here, I changed the limit in several places to 99,999,999. However, after upgrading all my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. stringers to weapon level 12 in Teien and the best armor that can be purchased, I had only spent 4,799,040. I think 9,999,999 will be a sufficient limit. You might have to exploit Marco and Gaspar a few times, but it won't take 20 successful trips and a ton of reloads, if luck (or save states) are with you. Plus, you won't spend the game potentially wasting a ton of money from enemies.

Regarding the stat stone/"don't give up" issue, has anybody recreated it, or does anyone know what version these people are playing? I need to be able to see the bug happen in order to fix it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Could you also raise some drop chances for very rare antiques? I never bothered to get all.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

It's a bug fix though isn't it? Does changing the drop rates for items change the way the game plays or do you reckon the original drop rates were wrong when they were included?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I just think it's more convenient, that's all.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, with the patcher I have, I'm not averse to including optional patches that would count as cheats. Increasing the amount of money you can have is sort of borderline cheating, especially given how easy it is to exploit Gaspar and Marco. I just rationalize it as removing a ridiculous bit of tedium that I don't think Konami thought fully through. Nobody did the math to realize that you'd need 10,000,000 - 20,000,000 potch to fully upgrade, and the only really viable way of getting that money is going double or nothing repeatedly with Gaspar. When the second game came along, they introduced more mini-games for earning money, the trading system, and the amount dropped by enemies scaled up a bit more quickly. Then in the third game they handed you a lottery with the possibility of winning infinite cash for life, and sets of armor that, coupled with skills, get you a multiplier of around 10x for potch drops. It's still a rationalization, though. They clearly intended the limit to be 999,999, since it's littered throughout the code.

Whether a cheat ends up as an optional patch or a plain cheat code depends on how long the cheat code would be. The wallet expansion could easily be 30-40 lines right now, and will only grow, so patch. Drop rates might be 2 lines or 500, depending on what we're talking about.